• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Black screens connecting secondary monitor

Associate
Evening all!

Firstly, current specs:
Mobo: Asus P8Z77V-LX 2
PSU: Evo Cronus 650W 80+ Bronze
CPU: i5-2500K OCed @ 4.5ghz
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600
GPU: Asus GeForce GTX 1060 6GB**

** Very recently upgraded GPU from the GTX750ti to GTX1060.

So, I always have 2 monitors for my PC. My primary monitor uses a HDMI cable and my secondary is a VGA to DVI adapter cable. With this new GPU it takes DVI-D but not DVI so I bought a VGA to DVI-D adapter and plugged it into the DVI-D port in the GPU. First time this causes the primary monitor to go fully pink. Second attempt it caused the primary monitor to go black and the GPU fan speed to max, the secondary monitor never got detected. I unplugged the secondary monitor but the primary one still remained black and gpu fan speed at 100. I then had to do hold down the restart button to restart the PC (obviously). The primary monitor then worked fine and GPU fans back to normal.

What is causing the GPU to flip out when I plugged the second monitor in via the VGA to DVI-D adapter?

I have very recently updated the bios to the latest settings too.

I then tried downgrading the nvidia drivers by one, no difference. I tried upping the CPU voltage slightly, no difference. I also tried disconnecting my Primary monitor (HDMI) and plugging in the secondary, again didn't work but the GPU fan didn't spool to 100 this time. The temperatures of the GPU are well within parameters, even during gaming they are mid 50s (same as the CPU). The GPU is not under load when I try plug in the secondary monitor, it is idling on desktop.

Any ideas? :)

SOLVED:Must have been an issue connecting through the DVI-D adapter. Got a new monitor and that now works fine on the DP connection and the other monitor through HDMI. :D

Feel free to delete post

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom