Blackberry Storm - My brief review...

Man of Honour
OP
Hello Bigred,

I should be a doing a review of the bold and storm soon my self. Our council's mobile contract is with vodafone and they are sending a few storms and bolds for us to use. But the whole battery life issue will soon put me off it. I cant believe it will only last a day with normal use!!!!

Can you not get your self one through work? Or do you not have a business mobile contract?

Work gives me an 8800, we're with o2 so we'll likely get new Bold's early next year, no Storm for me from work unfortunately!

Man of Honour
OP
so is it worth getting then as ive got a desposit down on mine get it next thursday did go in today but was sold out

Depends, if you need a business phone with email I'd say it's a no brainer, the absolute best I've seen. If it's a personal phone though then I think you're better off with an iphone, if you hate the iphone then it's certainly better than windows mobile in my opinion, though you have to remember the relative absence of third party apps...

Soldato
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but it seemed appropriate. Liked the review.

I had an unsuccessful attempt to sort out a new contract with Vodafone. I got a call from Retentions after requesting my PAC. They offered me the Storm on a 12 month contract (which is what I always ask for and was a sticking point with my last attempt to renew) with 600/unlimited and their unlimited data package (500mb FUP he said) - for a fiver less than what I pay for 500/500 (£35)....fair enough, I thought. Seems too good to be true, really. I know my monthly bills are high, but it seems like they really, really didn't want me to get an iPhone.

No wifi is a bit of a pain in the backside though, as I'm headed overseas for a while thought having wifi on my phone might be nice for email, but since it's only for a month, I can always use my N95 8gb while I'm over there.

Still haven't accepted the offer though - at least I get 14 days to return it if I'm not happy....so maybe I should just go for it.

Associate
i dont like the storm at all. it doesnt feel right, typing on it is slow and it is no where near as efficient as other bberries (shortcuts anyone?!).. its laggy and it feels like they just cobbled it together very quickly (same OS only slightly tweaked for it doesnt feel right to me).. it does look cool though.. ive been using the bold for ages now and much prefer it!

Man of Honour
OP
Sorry to drag up an old thread, but it seemed appropriate. Liked the review.

I had an unsuccessful attempt to sort out a new contract with Vodafone. I got a call from Retentions after requesting my PAC. They offered me the Storm on a 12 month contract (which is what I always ask for and was a sticking point with my last attempt to renew) with 600/unlimited and their unlimited data package (500mb FUP he said) - for a fiver less than what I pay for 500/500 (£35)....fair enough, I thought. Seems too good to be true, really. I know my monthly bills are high, but it seems like they really, really didn't want me to get an iPhone.

No wifi is a bit of a pain in the backside though, as I'm headed overseas for a while thought having wifi on my phone might be nice for email, but since it's only for a month, I can always use my N95 8gb while I'm over there.

Still haven't accepted the offer though - at least I get 14 days to return it if I'm not happy....so maybe I should just go for it.

That's a very good deal you've got there...

Associate
very good deal u got there, mine is £25 p/m 18 months 200mins 500txts unlimited web/email, wish i could have got it on 12 months but nvm!

and im loving my storm, finding it really easy to use and not found any problems at all yet!

Caporegime
Well ive been keeping a close eye on the Storm...been on the crackberry website where they have forums dedicated to the blackberries. Seems like quite a few people over in the States are pretty narked off about the phone saying that its quite slow and sluggish ie the o/s on it is or was a beta and because Verizon rushed it out...a lot of people arent happy bunnies. Altho on the bright side it seems like they is going to be a newer version of the o/s that will update the phones etc.

Not really sure if im going to get one tbh...i like it and have played with it extensively at my local voda shop but i really dont fancy going over to voda tbh. So it looks like ill be keeping with tmobile and going with the bold that they have finally released onto their network. Seems that most people are happy with their Bolds.

Caporegime
Let me know how you find the Bold over the Storm please mate - my next upgrade feels like Im clutching at straws to find a decent smartphone...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Associate
if your happy with the bold go with it, its a good phone i hear, but the storm is superb, i really have not found any faults with it, i think people are just not spending enough time with the storm. i have removed voda live turned of suretype etc and the screen/button is amazing, i have had a htc touch pro which was shocking for navigating around, everything is just the right size to click etc on the storm i find, very user friendly!

Soldato
That's a very good deal you've got there...
That's what I thought! He actually gave me all the info first, then put me on hold for about a minute, when he came back and told me he'd give me it on a 12 month contract (which I hadnt asked for yet) - I had to hide my surprise with a cough.....I got him to read it out twice and took his name just in case they try to weasel out of it.

I think the only reason that I got such a good offer is the fact that my last four bills have all been in excess of £60 due to going a bit overboard with the texting......but then why give me a deal which will negate any profit from excess texting....I dunno. Surely they weren't just being nice as I'm loyal......said the man who requested his PAC.

The only touchscreen phone I've played with is the iPhone and all of my recent phones have been smartphones, so I've decided to take the Storm deal and spend at least a week seeing what I think of it.

How bad could it be? <---- hopefully not famous last words

Associate
you won't be dissapointed m8, just give it timeto mature, mine was abit weird upon first bootup, but after a few hours playing with it, it works flawlessly now.

Caporegime
Let me know how you find the Bold over the Storm please mate - my next upgrade feels like Im clutching at straws to find a decent smartphone...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Well ive played with the Bold, RIM had a stand earlier this yr where i work ie Canary Wharf and i toyed around with the Bold they had there. Tbh compared to the Storm i found it much easier and not so difficult to get on with...albeit i only played with it for about 10 mins but from what i saw...i definitely liked it...only thing i didnt really like is that its a very wide phone compared to the other phones ive had...its much more wider than the Curve that i bought for my bro in Canada last yr. Funnily enough hes not got a Bold himself and he absolutely loves it....his company uses BES so got him one as part of his upgrade.

As for the Storm, i like it...its definitely a phone to give the iphone a run for its money but its got a plastic screen which puts me off even more...plus looking at peoples opinions...it doesnt seem like a very well made phone:(...so i think the Storm is something that im going to leave out of the equation.

The more i think about it, the more im leaning towards the Bold...im quite happy with Tmobile so dont think ill be leaving them unless they really give me a bad upgrade deal but ive been with them for the past 8 yrs now so i think they would keep me as i tend to spend quite a bit ie my bills are quite high. Only problem is that i have to wait till Jan 15th before i can upgrade so i have to wait really...and with the phone i have now, the htc touch diamond..i dont know how long i can wait for lol...im fed up of the Touch Diamond and its bugs...even tho im running the latest dutty rom...its just a phone thats so flawed on many levels:(

Soldato
I'm reading a bit about software issues on the storm. However, a lot of people are very happy, so either they're issues only affecting a few devices, or they're issues that are only noticed by certain people. My theory is that they're there, but only hardcore bb users are noticing them and that everyone else is seeing it as normal.

Now that the N85 is cropping up on contracts as well, I'm really really torn now.

Soldato
Well, I agreed to accept their contract this morning and the phone comes tomorrow. While I'm not a business user, I love having lots of different gadgets to hand and the BB Storm seems to offer that. I use my phone for calls, texts, web (usually wifi, but if it's free, I'll go HSDPA or whatever its called :D) and music - so we'll see how it handles it.

Ok, the camera isn't too hot (but I have a superb compact anyway) but the deal I got offered (and confirmed again - twice!) is too good to turn down. I've got 14 days to make up my mind, so we'll see how it goes.

If anyone is interested, I'll post up my opinions once I've had a chance to play with it.

Soldato
I'm thinking about the Storm for my next phone, but I think it really need some issues ironing out. Main issues for me are the lack of WiFi and the size (far thicker than the iPhone). I think maybe in a "Storm 2" they will sort these problems out, much like the iPhone 3G, so I guess I'll wait till then!

Suman

Caporegime
Well ive played with the Bold, RIM had a stand earlier this yr where i work ie Canary Wharf and i toyed around with the Bold they had there. Tbh compared to the Storm i found it much easier and not so difficult to get on with...albeit i only played with it for about 10 mins but from what i saw...i definitely liked it...only thing i didnt really like is that its a very wide phone compared to the other phones ive had...its much more wider than the Curve that i bought for my bro in Canada last yr. Funnily enough hes not got a Bold himself and he absolutely loves it....his company uses BES so got him one as part of his upgrade.

As for the Storm, i like it...its definitely a phone to give the iphone a run for its money but its got a plastic screen which puts me off even more...plus looking at peoples opinions...it doesnt seem like a very well made phone:(...so i think the Storm is something that im going to leave out of the equation.

The more i think about it, the more im leaning towards the Bold...im quite happy with Tmobile so dont think ill be leaving them unless they really give me a bad upgrade deal but ive been with them for the past 8 yrs now so i think they would keep me as i tend to spend quite a bit ie my bills are quite high. Only problem is that i have to wait till Jan 15th before i can upgrade so i have to wait really...and with the phone i have now, the htc touch diamond..i dont know how long i can wait for lol...im fed up of the Touch Diamond and its bugs...even tho im running the latest dutty rom...its just a phone thats so flawed on many levels:(

Well after much umming and ahhing, i finally decided to give the Storm a proper go. So ive taken out another line with Voda and should have the phone with me tomorrow at some time. I have 14 days in which to decide to keep it or not, if i find that im not impressed with it then ill probably exchange it for the Bold.

Tmobile are being absolute idiots at the moment...i wanted to take out a second line with the Bold but first they havent got any and dont know when they will get any...not only that they want to charge me an extra £10 for unlimited email and then another £5 on top for BIS...whereas Voda are giving me unlimited internet, BIS plan, 600 mins and unlimited txts for £40 per month on a 18 mth contract. The fact that i even mentioned that to them didnt make a blind bit of difference....oh well their loss as i probably wotn be renewing my contract with them.

Caporegime
Right got my Storm this morning...quite impressed with the device itself...it fits the hand very nicely albeit a bit wide-ish but thats no biggie.

The screen is gorgeous when its booted up and the touchscreen is pretty cool ie you actually press down on the screen. But saying that my major gripe is that the screen has quite a bit of a wobble to it ie if you put your finger on the screen, you can actually move the screen around physically :S....which imho isnt a good thing as dust and other particles could and will settle in the gaps between the screen and the chassis. Also i find the touchscreen pretty oblivious to what i want it to do...theres quite a bit of lag when scrolling and when opening sub menus it doesnt register my click.

Dont know if anyone has the problem that their screen moves around when pushing it...im not exactly happy with the build tbqh.

Its a nice phone, i have 14 days in which to decide if im keeping it or not so going to give it till end of weekend but im 90% sure that ill be sending it back to Voda. My honest opinion is that its a nice try by RIM to get an iphone killer out but me thinks they rushed it a bit too early...its probably the only phone that ive played with that can and could very well be considered an iphone killer...perhaps with the next revision the build and software issues will be sorted out.

Back
Top Bottom