• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

I really struggle to see who would want to buy these super expensive cards unless you need them for professional or commercial use, it's not like the games industry has blessed us with a plethora of stunning AAA 'must play' titles over the last 4 years.
Enthusiasts will buy them. Why? #1 because you want the best and that's justification enough. Two, because there's still situations where even a 4090 is still lacking - pathtracing, pushing DLSS quality up at 4K in demanding titles (never mind DLAA), various niche scenarios (f.ex. around VR, whether native games or ones forced to play in VR like Cyberpunk, etc.)

Im still on a 2080, having skipped 3 and 4 series cards I am hoping a higher end 5xxx will be a sound upgrade path and last a long while.

Might not need the full power now but will in a few years.

At this point, I'd just like an official reveal to stop the rumour mill. The latest scuttlebutt/baseless speculation is that the 5090 will need two 16-pin power connectors.

I mean... seriously?
My 1600W PSU wants some exercise!

I'd be 'happy' with a 5090 30-40% faster than 4090 at raster, 50% better RT etc at £1800. I know its insane to say that but that's the World we live in and it's way less than two Pascal Titan's I once bought when I had more money than sense.

I'd be 'happy' with a 5090 30-40% faster than 4090 at raster, 50% better RT etc at £1800. I know its insane to say that but that's the World we live in and it's way less than two Pascal Titan's I once bought when I had more money than sense.

The older I get, the more I realise that it's a lot less expensive to just turn the settings dial down a notch. :p

i wonder how much this card is gonna cost ?
Well at release i bought my 4090 for £1950, aftermarket card, at that time the strix 4090 was going for £2400 so I suspect the 5090 founders to be around £1800 so that means aftermarket cards will exceed £2200 with top end brands like Strix and Suprim to be an easy £2500+

Get your wallets ready PC enthusiasts and hardcore gamers...

The older I get, the more I realise that it's a lot less expensive to just turn the settings dial down a notch. :p
The older i get the more i spend on each upgrade to be able to turn that setting dial up even more :p

Due to thinking i better do it now before my eyes are to old to even see the difference ;)
But feel my eyes are already partly past that as there no way i can see these days as sharp i used too :(:(

Same reason I spend £14,500 on brand new motorbike last year before i get to old to fully enjoy one. (I be 55 in a few months)

Last edited:
The older i get the more i spend on each upgrade to be able to turn that setting dial up even more :p

Due to thinking i better do it now before my eyes are to old to even see the difference ;)
But feel my eyes are already partly past that as there no way i can see these days as sharp i used too :(:(

Same reason I spend £14,500 on brand new motorbike last year before i get to old to fully enjoy one. (I be 55 in a few months)

Same 56, 4k too much for my eyes, sticking at 1440p and probably a 5070 before I retire from the high end gaming lark

If the 2x 16-pin connectors for the 5090 is nonsense... because surely they wouldn't be that mad, right?... possibly related to that Titan that's rumored to be in the works?

If the 2x 16-pin connectors for the 5090 is nonsense... because surely they wouldn't be that mad, right?... possibly related to that Titan that's rumored to be in the works?

I not be happy if it does have 2x 16 pin as i not long ago spent a lot of money buying a brand new PSU for running my 4090/14900k system
But then again i would most likely only need an extra adapter cable for it..

Thinking about it: They maybe adding two 16 pin connectors to spread the high load over two connectors instead of a single connector after all the problems they had with the 4090 16 pin connector melting

Last edited:
My 1600W PSU wants some exercise!
1600w PSU :cry: and there me wondering if i wasted money paying the extra for a 1200watt PSU as don't think i even seen my 14900k & 4090 system draw even 850watts yet

Maybe they will support SLI again on the 5090's so you can buy 2 of them :D You know the more you buy the more you save ;)

Last edited:
At this point, I'd just like an official reveal to stop the rumour mill. The latest scuttlebutt/baseless speculation is that the 5090 will need two 16-pin power connectors.

I mean... seriously?
This is wrong thinking though - it's been said many times by knowledgeable people in the industry, like Derbauer, that 2 16-pin connectors should be a thing already on 4090. Not because it needs that much power but because it adds redundancy and lowers power flow through single connector and with that it would prevent all cases of melting connectors, whilst adding only pennies to the card's price. This might be why 5090 adds second one, which means it doesn't tell us anything about actual power use of that GPU. That said, as per all the words of NVIDIA CEO, we are at the edge of silicon tech and increasing number of transistors and by that power use seems to be the only way forth left (that and AI everywhere of course :P).

Thinking about it: They maybe adding two 16 pin connectors to spread the high load over two connectors instead of a single connector after all the problems they had with the 4090 16 pin connector melting
4090 has been criticised for having only 1 connector, for this specific reason. Having 2, which barely adds anything to the price of the card, would prevent all the melting plugs issues.

Well at release i bought my 4090 for £1950, aftermarket card, at that time the strix 4090 was going for £2400 so I suspect the 5090 founders to be around £1800 so that means aftermarket cards will exceed £2200 with top end brands like Strix and Suprim to be an easy £2500+

Get your wallets ready PC enthusiasts and hardcore gamers...
4090 prices are going up in EU already again, at retailers. Might be because production is stopping and plenty of people can't wait till 5090 (they use it for work etc.) and will buy 4090 now anyway, or they know something we do not about potential pricing of 5090.

4090 has been criticised for having only 1 connector, for this specific reason. Having 2, which barely adds anything to the price of the card, would prevent all the melting plugs issues.
It would add the cost of a new PSU to the price of the card. It's only a tiny number of PSUs, none of which are even on shelves yet, that have two 16 pin ports.

Back
Top Bottom