• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Blackwell gpus

With the pathetic 16gb on the 5080, it's clear the lower end SKU's will once again come with paltry amounts of vram.
They'll make claims that GDDR7 gives more bandwidth etc, but that also enables Ngreedia to design cards with memory buses that are even more gimped.
I wouldnt want to be a buyer of 70 class and under cards you'll be shafted hard with Milkwell.

With the pathetic 16gb on the 5080, it's clear the lower end SKU's will once again come with paltry amounts of vram.
They'll make claims that GDDR7 gives more bandwidth etc, but that also enables Ngreedia to design cards with memory buses that are even more gimped.
I wouldnt want to be a buyer of 70 class and under cards you'll be shafted hard with Milkwell.

GDDR7 does allow 16GB on a 192 bit bus by using different sized modules IIRC.

given these leaks im REALLY tempted to pull the trigger on buying a 4080super. getting more than a 50% performance increase for the same power draw seems like a bargin right now... I dont know a lot about the subject but it feels like compaines are beginning to reach the limits of what they can draw out of the current generation of GPU's without just demanidng more power draw for GPU/CPU to get high performance. maybe in the 6000 generation? lmao

This isn't about generation of GPU sadly, it's the limits of silicon technology, which Nvidia CEO himself underlines all the time (whilst pushing for AI). These days you get either less power use for the same speed or more speed for more power use, usually. Soon enough we will reach total wall of this tech and new generation will have either more and more power use for more speed (that has limits too) or changes will focus on something else like more AI stuff but no more raw performance.

This isn't about generation of GPU sadly, it's the limits of silicon technology, which Nvidia CEO himself underlines all the time (whilst pushing for AI). These days you get either less power use for the same speed or more speed for more power use, usually. Soon enough we will reach total wall of this tech and new generation will have either more and more power use for more speed (that has limits too) or changes will focus on something else like more AI stuff but no more raw performance.
ah thats what i thinking it must be related to the silicon process and what they can actually get out of these boards. to be fair as far as gaming goes, games already look incredible and the push for more and more graphical fidelity is hurting games now rather then helping. sure your ultra detailed NPC models with realistically rendered micro facial hair when standing 1 cm away from them looks impressive....but its making my 3k system run at less then 60 fps at 1080 p without frame generation...no thanks.

That's not really accurate though is it.

All of the below assumes gaming on the higher end of the sale. Any vendor's frame gen tech is not for mid range cards at all regardless of the PR spin Nvidia want to put under it, you must have at least 60fps before frame gen is enabled otherwise you will notice lag and poor frame gen performance and visual bugs etc in many games.

Even with path tracing without frame gen you can hit 60fps just by using upscaling quality alone at 1440p, or upscaling performance at 4K as evidenced in games like Cyberpunk or Alan Wake 2. Which means the post-frame gen enabled experience is perfectly fine. When you then enable Ray Reconstruction you gain up to an extra 10fps or so so even more gains by leveraging matured technology like these in today's age.

This all assumes the games implement them properly. Outlaws is the latest game that launched with broken Ray Reconstruction which reduced fps and had softer details. It took 2 patches until that was flipped around and now we have RR delivering what it does in other games with RR, higher fps, higher fidelity etc.

I think many gamers need to ditch the old mindset of frame gen = bad and start pointing fingers at devs that implement the technology poorly and the spend weeks/months patching the games to then fix technical issues. Wukong also launched with some issues related to frame gen as did a bunch of other games the past 12 months, all god patched of course but the launch issues never leave the minds of folks who are determined that the technology is a blocker rather than a good thing.

Mrk keeps hoping they will all go above 1K. Anything less just does not computer in his head :cry:
Quote from on here a few days ago..

“just my 2ps but I wouldn’t pay £500 for a 4090 when then 500 series get released.

Probably will be equivalent to the 5080… but come with a mystery bonus history plus bonus fire risk…? Nahhh.”

Seems not everyone thinks they’re worth £1K+

Reactions: TNA
That's not really accurate though is it.

All of the below assumes gaming on the higher end of the sale. Any vendor's frame gen tech is not for mid range cards at all regardless of the PR spin Nvidia want to put under it, you must have at least 60fps before frame gen is enabled otherwise you will notice lag and poor frame gen performance and visual bugs etc in many games.

Even with path tracing without frame gen you can hit 60fps just by using upscaling quality alone at 1440p, or upscaling performance at 4K as evidenced in games like Cyberpunk or Alan Wake 2. Which means the post-frame gen enabled experience is perfectly fine. When you then enable Ray Reconstruction you gain up to an extra 10fps or so so even more gains by leveraging matured technology like these in today's age.

This all assumes the games implement them properly. Outlaws is the latest game that launched with broken Ray Reconstruction which reduced fps and had softer details. It took 2 patches until that was flipped around and now we have RR delivering what it does in other games with RR, higher fps, higher fidelity etc.

I think many gamers need to ditch the old mindset of frame gen = bad and start pointing fingers at devs that implement the technology poorly and the spend weeks/months patching the games to then fix technical issues. Wukong also launched with some issues related to frame gen as did a bunch of other games the past 12 months, all god patched of course but the launch issues never leave the minds of folks who are determined that the technology is a blocker rather than a good thing.

granted its a funny scenario to bring up...until yesterday when monster hunter wilds PC specs were revealed. this is from the store page :

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-11600K or Intel® Core™ i5-12400 or AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600X or AMD Ryzen™ 5 5500
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 Super(VRAM 8GB) or NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 4060(VRAM 8GB) or AMD Radeon™ RX 6700XT(VRAM 12GB)
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 140 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: SSD required. This game is expected to run at 1080p / 60 fps (with Frame Generation enabled) under the "Medium" graphics setting. DirectStorage supported.
not quite a 3k costing system anymore and Ive nothing against upsclaing tech and so on, ive even used it in games like dying light 2 for 4k 60 performance and its very impressive but like you said we're at the mercy of the devs implementing the techniques properly and well... im all out of good will.

Last edited:
granted its a funny scenario to bring up...until yesterday when monster hunter wilds PC specs were revealed. this is from the store page :

• Requires a 64-bit processor and operating system
  • Processor: Intel® Core™ i5-11600K or Intel® Core™ i5-12400 or AMD Ryzen™ 5 3600X or AMD Ryzen™ 5 5500
  • Memory: 16 GB RAM
  • Graphics: NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2070 Super(VRAM 8GB) or NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 4060(VRAM 8GB) or AMD Radeon™ RX 6700XT(VRAM 12GB)
  • DirectX: Version 12
  • Network: Broadband Internet connection
  • Storage: 140 GB available space
  • Additional Notes: SSD required. This game is expected to run at 1080p / 60 fps (with Frame Generation enabled) under the "Medium" graphics setting. DirectStorage supported.
not quite a 3k costing system anymore and Ive nothing against upsclaing tech and so on, ive even used it in games like dying light 2 for 4k 60 performance and its very impressive but like you said we're at the mercy of the devs implementing the techniques properly and well... im all out of good will.
Yep, medium settings, FG and that's with recommended specs. Minimum for 30fps is 720p (upscaled to 1080p). And requiring FG to reach 60 in fast paced game requiring reflex is ridiculous. But as I said, Devs choose it to be this way (even if publishers might've been pushing on it hard to release faster). It didn't have to be like this.

Last edited:
I have no idea what that game is but from those reqs and comments alone it doesn't sound like anything that would ever be on my radar anyway!

I think the apparent gulf between the 5080 and 5090 is fairly easily explained.

Remember what happened with the original 4080 at £1200? It was a sales disaster, a lot of which was because most people who could afford to drop £1200 could afford the extra £400 for the 4090. The fact the 4080 SUPER was under £1k is testament to that.

If the 5090 is going to come in around £2k then they know the 5080 has to be around £1k in order to sell as there simply aren't that many people who "only" have £1400 to spend on a GPU (and not £2k).
Thus the 5080 is going to cost half of the 5090 and the spec cuts reflect that.

Yep, medium settings, FG and that's with recommended specs. Minimum for 30fps is 720p (upscaled to 1080p). And requiring FG to reach 60 in fast paced game requiring reflex is ridiculous. But as I said, Devs choose it to be this way (even if publishers might've been pushing on it hard to release faster). It didn't have to be like this.
yep. it didnt :(. something will give sooner or later in the hardware space... nintendos shigeru miyamoto recently said the company has no interest in being involved in the hardware competition race and just focus on making good games and i can totally see where hes coming from. one of my most played games is a 2d pixel art called noita lol. I dunno feel unsettled by all this.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom