Blind faith

Soldato
What makes you believe in it that no matter what you see it to be true.
Like jesus and god theres no evidence and when indiana jones walked across that invicible floor what made him do it.
Is it something that you believe in to make the world make sense to you or is it just a comfort of some sorts.

This aint a religion slagging off its just something that never gets talked about cause its against religion.

Associate
When it comes right down to it there's nothing you can actually prove. All people really have is faith. Is the sun going to rise tomorrow? Probably... but can you prove it? or do you just have faith that it will. It's risen every day of your life so far, so why not believe it will tomorrow.

Faith in a religion is perhaps a step further along, but just like having faith that the sun will come up it's based on experience. People don't just randomly choose something to believe in. As someone probably once said, you don't choose your religion, it chooses you.

Soldato
I'm not a Christian but I used to know a few people who claimed they'd had "personal experiences" with God, I guess that would convince you. But then again is that blind faith because I guess that is faith based on an experience.

So I dunno...

Permabanned
bakes0310 said:
Like jesus and god theres no evidence

If I had no evidence to believe is Jesus/ God/Christianity I wouldnt do. But I do believe in it as I have seen/been on the recieving end of more than enough evidence.

Soldato
jezsoup said:
If I had no evidence to believe is Jesus/ God/Christianity I wouldnt do. But I do believe in it as I have seen/been on the recieving end of more than enough evidence.
I think by evidence he meant scientific proof, i.e evidence which can be reproduced by experimentation.

By definition faith is the belief in something regardless of a lack of scientific or conclusive reproducible evidence.

Soldato
There is no quantifiable or scientific proof of the existence of god - fact. Believers draw on their own experiences and make them fit into a certain way of thinking that supports what they want to believe. Childhood indoctrination and peer pressure from other believers are also huge influences.

I'm not saying god doesn't exist, just show me concrete evidence of the existence of god and then I will believe.

Soldato
Well I believe, and believe mainly due to personal experience. But that doesn't mean I don't question what I believe.

On the contrary, I'm constantly developing my understand and thought - it's this which has allowed be to develop different perspectives on God, Jesus and the world.

Blind faith? It's kinda silly. But understandable.

Permabanned
1158629353220yv6.png

Permabanned
I think people miss understand what god is. God isn't an all seeing being that strikes down sinners but a small part of all of this that gives us faith. This faith then allows us to make hard decisions or deal with difficult situations because we have faith deep down we know the answer.

Yes some people have blind faith in the bible and take it literally and believe it but they need help tbh.

Soldato
Actually, that's exactly what faith is.

If it were proved to be true then it wouldn't be faith, because we would know it to be so.

Man of Honour
Joe42 said:
By definition faith is the belief in something regardless of a lack of scientific or conclusive reproducible evidence.

Or faith in the absoluteness of the scientific method to be able to collect data on something if it exists ;)

Soldato
Can anyone who has had a religious experience care to share it, and explain how it effected your life?

(unlikely, but can people refrain from shooting the person down if they do)

Soldato
You can't win in GD though, your always going to get outlandish comments and sllyness even if you just wanted some light but sensible conversation away from Speakers Corner.

Permabanned
MookJong said:
Can anyone who has had a religious experience care to share it, and explain how it effected your life?

(unlikely, but can people refrain from shooting the person down if they do)

Ive mentioned this before, a few years ago I was up at a Elim Youth Camp. And in the meeting we prayed over a young boy who hadnt ever walked, he spent his whole life in a wheel chair or being carried. The reason being he had no motor neurones in his legs. Yet he got up and walked... They took him to the hospital where the doctors refused to believe it happened, till he got up and walked again. They were so amazed by the fact he had walked that they opened his leg up to see if they could find motor nerves (which previously only a year or so before they hadnt found) and they did! Nevre cells are some of the slowest, if not the slowest regenerating cells in the body, they certainly dont regenerate in the space of 10 minutes, well under normal natural conditions....

How did this effect me? It helpped confirm to me that what I was believeing in was the real thing, not that I honestly needed any proof as I have had plenty before.

Back
Top Bottom