Blocked toilet - bowl filling up when flushed

Soldato
Possibly, yes. However I'm tempted to do it properly with a boss, if I can get access, which I'm not sure I can, from underneath anyway.

While you've got the motivation and mindset to fix it I'd suggest you just get on with it and do it properly.

Having that kind of bodge is just asking for trouble.

Associate
Even without that pipe being an issue, wet wipes are worse than they appear or claim to be. We started using them years ago in our last home and never had an issue. However within six months of moving home we had a blockage in one of our inspection pits that had a 90 degree bend.

It was obviously wet wipes and although they claimed to be a flushable variety. I tested a few in clean water and they do eventually break down, but too slowly and only in isolation so anything that can snag a few causes the problem. We stopped flushing them and the drains have been fine since.

Recently I found the previous owner had the adjustable full and half flush set to the very minimum on every toilet (less than the default) and I think that makes thing worse as they were already fairly new units with low flush volume. I've now set them back to a more sensible level. Over the years toilets have reduced from 12+ litres to 9, 7.5, 6 and even 4.5 and that's full flush. There comes a point where it may work for perfect drains and in the lab, but we don't all have perfect drains!

Caporegime
OP
Well I decided to heed advice and sort the invading 40mm waste pipe poking into the 110mm waste.

First I removed some more ceiling to get access to the white pipe, not expecting to see that someone had in fact installed a proper boss, they'd just not cut the pipe to the right length:

J3CHWaah.jpg

The push-fit coupler was me. I obviously had to cut the grey pipe to get access to the white pipe, so this is how I joined them back together. I temporarily removed that whole piece of pipe (to the right of the coupler) because I also wanted to adjust the fall on the waste, as it was insufficient, with water running back out of the pipe when I first took it off - all down my arm :(.

The white pipe is now barely encroaching into the grey pipe.

I also replaced the right angle waste pipe and bought a brand new McAlpine flexible pan connector, which although very well made with good seals, was an absolute bitch to fit, mainly because there's no space behind the loo in my ensuite.

QjDhQMCh.jpg

Putting it in boiling water to soften the rubber and using loads of silicone lube did the trick eventually, but it took over an hour just to get the female end of the flex waste pipe over the toilet spigot.

And here's the whole sorry affair:

sNMIFhDh.jpg

Rather than patch that up, I'm going to board the whole garage with insulated board. Our bedroom is above the garage and there's just 15-20cm of wool-type insulation.

Everything appears leak free and water tight, passing the paper flush test with no drips or backing up. Hopefully that's the end of it. Horrid job but glad it's done.

Soldato
Rather than patch that up, I'm going to board the whole garage with insulated board. Our bedroom is above the garage and there's just 15-20cm of wool-type insulation.

You'll have to have make sure there's one layer of fire resistant plasterboard so you maintain your 1/2 hr fire resistance to your bedroom (note the pink backing paper on the stuff there just now.

Caporegime
OP
Doesn't it pee you off when you pay good money for a job to be done and you have to go through all this trouble afterwards. :rolleyes:

Yes indeed. It's a shame but such is life. To be fair it was nothing to do with anything I've ever paid a tradesman for, as it was like it when I bought the house. Bathroom people connected to the existing waste for the ensuite basin and wouldn't have known that this pipe was poking down too far.

You'll have to have make sure there's one layer of fire resistant plasterboard so you maintain your 1/2 hr fire resistance to your bedroom (note the pink backing paper on the stuff there just now.

Noted, thanks. Though I'm going in circles with what to do with the garage ceiling.

The insulation needs to be improved, that's clear. I don't want to rip out the ceiling but I also don't want to lose vertical height by overboarding, as there's not enough vertical room with the heating pipes running along the existing ceiling.

Simplest would be to bond some insulated plaster board to the existing ceiling then skim, but that will still leave the wooly rubbish in situ and will foul the existing structures.

There's also an electric garage door that complicates things.

I might have to rip it all out and get spray insulation applied directly to the chipboard before reboarding.

Soldato
Rip it out and start again
New insulation,new fireboard
At least it is not lath and plaster :eek:
Count yourself lucky

Worst case you have to get a electric door man to take down and refit the door

MY suggestion would be to fill in the `holes` then just reboard with more fireboard

Caporegime
OP
Rip it out and start again
New insulation,new fireboard
At least it is not lath and plaster :eek:
Count yourself lucky

Worst case you have to get a electric door man to take down and refit the door

MY suggestion would be to fill in the `holes` then just reboard with more fireboard
So is your suggestion to rip it out or fill the holes?

Caporegime
OP
Either m8
You can fill in the holes and replaster
OR fill in holes,rough plaster and new board over the top
As it is a garage i think fill holes and replaster would be the `Best/cheapest `option
Thanks, I think you're right. Room above will remain colder but there are things I can do about that, like mastic the edges of the ceiling in the garage to prevent draughts.

If and when we replace the garage door, I might take the opportunity to rip it out and replace with spray insulation and kingspan.

Soldato
Well as you already have `holes` you have the option of cutting a slot in the ceiling and stuffing the void with rockwool/fibreglas either side of the slot(push the wool with a stick)
Nasty job and won`t be perfect but should help with heating/noise :)

Back
Top Bottom