Blue screens galore <3

Associate
I've been getting blue screens the past couple of days and its really starting to annoy me.

Normally they are very rare but when i play WoW they become a lot more frequent.

So far i've done a memtest on my RAM and it came out fine. The error messages ive gotten so far have included:

"PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA"
"IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"
"KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR"
"BAD_POOL_HEADER"
"DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL"

I have no idea what to do next and all help much appreciated.

Spec = Core 2 Duo E6600 @stock
2gb ram
8800 GTS @stock

Last edited:
Associate
First off, please give your full spec. You'll also need to check the version of every device driver. Are any of your hardware items new? Is the PSU in spec for your components? What o/s are you using? What USB items are plugged in, have you tested without any USB devices? Do you have the BSOD stop codes too?

Associate
Ive had these 2 a lot recently:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR

My problems i think were mainly due to a faulty hard drive or bad sectors where the game was installed. You could also try moving you paging file to another partition. I've not had any problems since i replaced the drive

IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL - I have not had this for a while and for me was a problem with my graphics driver (nvidia)

I would assume DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL is another graphics driver problem.

BAD_POOL_HEADER - Not seen this one before, but you know you can search for all of these on Google and get more detailed information.

Also when you see these BSOD's you should also have a file name along with the error which should help you find a more accurate solution.

Associate
OP
Well i don't know much about the blue screens do i didnt know you needed that, here goes:

Core 2 Duo E6600
8800 GTS
2gb RAM
250 gb hard drive
Tagan 400W PSU
(running windows XP SP2)

Attached via USB:
G15 Keyboard
Copperhead Mouse
external Maxtor 80gb hard drive

I also often use various usb memory sticks. Hope this is enough information, if not then don't hesitate to say so.

Biscuity: Pretty much the entire computer is new im afraid, pretty sure PSU is fine as i've run other demanding games and applications no problems. Haven't yet tested with no usb's plugged in, i'll give that a shot. What are the stop codes?

swizzle: I'll look out for that file name, how do you move the paging file to another partition exactly? I'll double check im at the latest graphics drivers but im 90% sure i am.

Ronaldo: See earlier in post.

Thanks so far guys.

Associate
i would recommend you upgrading your PSU your spec machine should be a minimum 500 watts.
8800 use a lot of power.

sounds like you might have ram problem , you got correct timing for ram?

Man of Honour
dodgy RAM imo

can you try any other ram ?

try 1 stick @ a time if you can

what ram is it ? what timings is it running ? if all set to auto in the bios then it's 90% sure u got a bad stick !

try unplugging everything and just having CPU, RAM, GFX to narrow it down

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Haven't touch the RAM from it's default timings. I've run a memtest on it and that came out with 0 errors. I'm a bit reluctant to fiddle inside my case as that will most likely mess with my 3 year warranty :(

It's OCZ PC6400 @ complete default.

Associate
Hi

If you have warranty, then it's probably a branded computer? Which brand & model is it?

We could use the brand & models of all components.

The stop code is on the screen after the fault:
eg DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL x00000000

Associate
OP
Yes that's correct. Sorry for being a little thick on this sunday morning, what exactly do you mean by branded computer and it's model?

Also besides getting the parts out themselves is there an easy way of checking their brand and model numbers? I ran a dxdiag but it didn't help too much.

Once again thanks.

Associate
Phoo,

Since you mentioned your had a 3 year warrenty, I think you must hve bought the machinefully built rather than, like a lot of people here, built it yourself. If that is right, what make of amchine is it and what model?

I you have a warranty, I think it would be the thing to do to ask for some help under warranty so that you can be assured that the hadware at least, is OK.

Associate
Just thought, do u hear a clunking sound or does you computer slow down before the bsod? Thats what i got

Paging File: Right click 'My Computer - Properties - Advanced - Performance - Advanced - Virtual Memory. Set it to another partition, see if that helps

Can these: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA - KERNEL_STACK_INPAGE_ERROR be caused by bad memory? I've never had any problems with my memory as far as i know.

Associate
phoo said:
Haven't touch the RAM from it's default timings. I've run a memtest on it and that came out with 0 errors. I'm a bit reluctant to fiddle inside my case as that will most likely mess with my 3 year warranty :(

It's OCZ PC6400 @ complete default.

How long did you run memtest86+ for? I usually run it for an hour or two, I have had memory not show up errors for the first 20 mins of memtest 1.65.

http://www.memtest.org/#downiso
Download an iso and burn to cd.New version 1.70 adds support for core2 & newer chipsets. :)

Soldato
My friend is having the same blue screens with a 939 system, its been tested with other memory and another CPU, amongst other things tested, only 2 things we have left are the PSU and Motherboard, but i'm confident the board is working as it should.

I don't presume his problems are the same, but he gets the same blue screens as you described aswell as random reboots....

What, if any, errors do you have in the Event Viewer?

Back
Top Bottom