Bluetooth dongles - All the same?

Associate
Hi,

Looking to get the new xbox controllers with bluetooth and need to add a dongle to my PC. Just wondering if they're all much the same or if the £14 Asus one is any better than the OCUK value v4 one (£10) or even the OCUK v2.1 (£4) one.

Looking to use it from sofa ~4m away with minimal obstructions.
Any experience?

My basket at Overclockers UK:

Total: £30.63
(includes shipping: £2.74)

Associate
I have the Asus one which i use for the xbox one controller. works great! plug and play with no problems, but i dont know if its any different to the others.

Associate
I looked at ones similar elsewhere (or exactly the same even, just with different branding on them if you look at the pics) to the OcUK value v4.0 and the majority of them had bad reviews. I ended up with a Belkin one to use with my headphones and speaker but I assume the Asus one would be similar quality.

Some things to note though.

1. I have mine at the back of my case and as daft as it sounds it can interfere with the signal to my headphones if i turn away with my head inbetween the headphones and transmitter (pc is on my left + reciever on headphones is on the right earpiece) works perfect when on front of my case but looks ugly.

2. It was a bit of a fiddle at first to get them paired, took me quite a few goes to get them paired and then to auto reconnect after a shutdown etc but eventually it worked after it prompted me to restart after one of many goes at the pairing process, been fine since then.

3. I initially put in the top left usb slot on the back of my mobo which was a bad idea. It was so close to the side of my case and is such a small device that i couldn't get a good grip on it with my fingers to remove it so i had to remove it with pliers lol and put it in the next slot over.

Associate
you need v4 bluetooth adapter btw
i got a Racksoy one, and after much faffing it seems to work best with drivers windows puts on, and not the ones on disk or u find online.

the offical adapter is a safer bet, or a non cheapo generic adapter like the asus one.

think you need a micro usb cable to update the pad's firmware with the windows store app too

and i got "Pandaren® Thumb Grip thumbstick 8 units" and using the middle height ones

got a silicon skin as i prefer the feel of that to the plastic

Associate
OP
thanks guys. in the end i splashed out on the official wireless adaptor rather than bluetooth. Would have no other need for BT and my next mobo will probably have it built in anyway.

Back
Top Bottom