BMW 2 litre diesel (N47) oil

Soldato
Hi guys,

Has anyone here had a BMW 2 litre N47 diesel serviced recently? I always used to use Castrol Edge 0w-30 in my previous 320d as that's what BMW themselves used at the time but in recent years they've switched to Shell as their oil partner.

When I last did an oil change on my current 320d I used Shell Helix Ultra ECT 5w-30 oil as that's what the Shell oil finder says. However I've not been able to find anything concrete about what specific oil BMW use themselves. I've seen some people saying it's the more expensive Shell Helix Ultra Professional AM-L oil, also 5w-30, but I'm trying to find out for sure.

Any input would be appreciated :)

Caporegime
BMW use BMW oil now.

You can use anything you find with BMW LL-04, but that engine would cause no concern if using something you have used before. (Before BMW spec changes)

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
BMW branded surely? Who makes it?
Apologies to the OP for the mild hijack, was wondering if Simon knew the answer to this then he might also know who Mercedes use (who have always branded their own oil) the cynic in me thinks that it appears to be a good way to cover up sourcing mediocre oil from whoever is cheapest at the time.

Soldato
OP
Yeah I'm pretty sure BMW's oil is actually Shell. Just not sure if it's ECT or AM-L. The AM-L is the better oil and quite a bit more expensive but I have no problem paying for that if it's worthwhile. Not sure whether it would matter in this engine or not though.

Back
Top Bottom