BMW 318d M Sport Business Edition

Man of Honour
Just out of interest fox, were you driving a pre -LCI 318d or an LCI 318d?

The later has an extra 20 odd horses under the bonnet, so I'd expect it to manage a little better in that situation. Not saying I would want a 318d though :D

It was actually a 2008 pre LCI (in 2008, so it had about 3k on it).

Man of Honour
If the 318d fits your needs go for it and if it feels to slow get it remapped to almost 320d performance? Made such a difference to my 120d.

This would void the warranty and you very definitely want the warranty on an N47 engine car.

Associate
[TW]Fox;24421459 said:
It was actually a 2008 pre LCI (in 2008, so it had about 3k on it).

would have been very under powered for the size of the car.. 120bhp.

At least the newer 318d has almost as much power as the E46 320d (143bhp V 150bhp), so you probably wouldn't of needed to shift down going up hill.

Cheers

Soldato
120bhp should still be (just) enough to punt it along - its hardly a big car,i'm always a bit confused when oeople refer to a 3 as big. The 140ish variant is significantly better in the 1 series though so I imagine it makes a decent difference in the 3 too.

ACan't see why you'd buy one though - if it was the only choice on a company car list then fair enough

Associate
This is totally pointless!
Just get a 320d to begin with. :confused:

Why is it pointless when he could probably get a 318d a lot cheaper than a 320d with cheaper road tax etc? And how would the warranty know especially if he had a bluefin type map done on the car. Which is why the 118d and 318d are so popular.

Associate
Ok I'm sure the millions of other ppl out there owning such cars are wrong and you like always are right....? It's my opinion and I'm allowed it:rolleyes: I haven't slammed some of the inaccurate things you have said but hey ho we are all allowed opinions on things from what ever experience we have or don't.

I would also recommend a 320d or better still the 330d but the 318d is certainly not a bad car and can cheaply be made a better car if needed. And would most likely be the cheaper car to own which does matter to ppl even if they are spending 20k.

I certainly wish I had brought a 118d as two ppl I know with them get a lot better mpg than I have ever from my 120d.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Ok I'm sure the millions of other ppl out there owning such cars are wrong and you like always are right....? It's my opinion and I'm allowed it:rolleyes: I haven't slammed some of the inaccurate things you have said but hey ho we are all allowed opinions on things from what ever experience we have or don't.

I would also recommend a 320d or better still the 330d but the 318d is certainly not a bad car and can cheaply be made a better car if needed. And would most likely be the cheaper car to own which does matter to ppl even if they are spending 20k.

I certainly wish I had brought a 118d as two ppl I know with them get a lot better mpg than I have ever from my 120d.

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion.

Remapping a 120d because a 123d is out of reach is one thing, but remapping a 118d instead of getting a 120d is silly. (or 318 for that matter).

And I don't buy the road tax argument at all. It's peanuts in the UK.

-edit. Just seen you wished you'd brought a 118d. Shouldn't have bothered..

Man of Honour
Ok I'm sure the millions of other ppl out there owning such cars are wrong

I hate to be pedantic... actually no I don't :p There are about 30,000 318d's out there in the UK not millions :p

Most of them are originally ordered to comply with various company car schemes rather than because it's a genuinely superior choice to a 320d.

It's my opinion and I'm allowed it:rolleyes:

Nobody is claiming otherwise - but if your post your opinion people can dispute it, just as you are entitled to dispute mine.

I haven't slammed some of the inaccurate things you have said

If you think something I have said is inaccurate then you *should* slam it, because wrong information helps nobody. What are you referring to?

And would most likely be the cheaper car to own which does matter to ppl even if they are spending 20k.

Why would it be the cheaper car to own? Do you know that they are fundamentally mechanical identical cars?

Provided you compare like with like - ie the same age of vehicle - the 118d is not noticeably more economical than the 120d.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;24420939 said:
The need to ever downshift on a simple Motorway/Dual carriageway run is unacceptable. That's the sort of thing you do in small capacity hatchbacks.
With the greatest of respect, my massively torque endowed 13litre Scania will drop from top gear,even when unloaded,on a relatively slight motorway incline - that a 318d does the same does not really surprise me tbh, downshifting occasionally from an overdrive top gear be it in a multi geared HGV or 6 speed 318d is just part & parcel of driving, preventing the engine from labouring.

Exactly, therefore its only right we try and convince somebody with £20,000 in his pocket not to purchase one :p

Couldn't agree more.

Last edited:
Soldato
[TW]Fox;24420939 said:
The need to ever downshift on a simple Motorway/Dual carriageway run is unacceptable. That's the sort of thing you do in small capacity hatchbacks.

I don't think I've ever needed to do so even in one of those tbh! Unless I've needed to get a move on ASAP. Having to downshift a normal car for a regular motorway overtake is crazy

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I don't think I've ever needed to do so even in one of those tbh! Unless I've needed to get a move on ASAP. Having to downshift a normal car for a regular motorway overtake is crazy
I've had to downshift to overtake in my flatmate's Mk3 1.8 Mondeo.
But it didn't actually do anything :o

Soldato
I can't think of many average cars that will get enough of a shuffle on in top gear at 70 to overtake at pace on an uphill section of motorway.

Soldato
With the greatest of respect, my massively torque endowed 13litre Scania will drop from top gear,even when unloaded,on a relatively slight motorway incline - that a 318d does the same does not really surprise me tbh, downshifting occasionally from an overdrive top gear be it in a multi geared HGV or 6 speed 318d is just part & parcel of driving, preventing the engine from labouring.

Greatest respect? That hints that your statement has a degree of credibility... when it doesnt as you are talking about a truck and not a car (again).

Back
Top Bottom