BMW 318d M Sport Business Edition

Caporegime
Greatest respect? That hints that your statement has a degree of credibility... when it doesnt as you are talking about a truck and not a car (again).

Err, I'd have thought it did have just that.

My point was given a torque endowed HGV still has to drop out of its top gear, even when unladen, it's not much of a surprise that a 318d - especially the underpowered variant Fox referred to - needs to sometimes drop down to 5th.

I use the truck analogy because people presume they have mega torque and therefore will sit in top on motorways, largely, they will.

Mine - in the scheme of trucks, has a relatively small 13 litre 440BHP 6 pot lump, hence it sometimes needing a down shift even when empty on a relatively minor incline.
The 16litre 730bhp V8 variant won't, even fully freighted.

The car equivalent surely would be comparing the 318d and say a 330d over the same stretch of road, the bigger engined variant won't be requiring a shift down either.

I'm surprised you don't get my point tbh.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Its a premium saloon. It shouldn't need to drop a gear - EVER.

Thats his point, which i concur with and therefore the suprise is that you dont get it?
"Shouldn't need to drop a gear - ever"?
I can't make up my mind if your being ironic or not tbh!

Well, we will have to agree to disagree on this one I guess, a 318d is hardly a "Premium saloon", granted, BMW are a premium brand, but the 318d is hardly aimed at the premium sector, it's aimed squarely at fleet buyers and perhaps somebody who would rather a base spec BMW - due to its image - rather than a similarly priced Ford or Vauxhall with a nicer bigger engine and all the creature comforts.

The trade off (in the case of the example Fox drove at least) is an engine you clearly have to row along a bit using the gear stick.

Had you been thinking of the 330d or even perhaps the 320d I'd conceded your point, but, in the case of the 318d I'm sorry, but I don't.

Caporegime
Well, we will have to agree to disagree on this one I guess, a 318d is hardly a "Premium saloon", granted, BMW are a premium brand, but the 318d is hardly aimed at the premium sector, it's aimed squarely at fleet buyers and perhaps somebody who would rather a base spec BMW - due to its image - rather than a similarly priced Ford or Vauxhall with a nicer bigger engine and all the creature comforts.

Without wanting to pick your post to bits, isn't the fact that the 318d sells on image, spec and perceived quality above all else not the EXACT reason that it's a premium vehicle?

Soldato
OP
Blimey big debate kicked off. TBH I'm still looking, semi considering a V40 D2 R via company lease scheme.

There's an awful lot of crap out there and decent stuff, Volvo T5 R I'd put in the crap pile.

Seat, VW, Skoda, Audi and so on. Totally dislike Vauxhall (personal opinion).

Caporegime
Without wanting to pick your post to bits, isn't the fact that the 318d sells on image, spec and perceived quality above all else not the EXACT reason that it's a premium vehicle?

Sure, it's a premium vehicle by definition of the badge it wears, it has the build quality (supposedly) etc etc.
I'm just saying its at the bottom of the range in terms of engine and thus not too surprising (again, in the low powered variant Fox referred to) that it needs a bit of stick rowing as such.

Its no fireball, with a 6 speed box - maybe a 5 speed would have suited it better?

I'd be narked if a more "premium" engine in the range , say a 320d or 330d needed to drop a cog now & again, but not in that variant of 318d.

As I say, most buyers of 318d's I guess would be more interested in that badge and image over performance, otherwise, they have a lot better choices for their money, with better performance albeit without that badge....

Soldato
If you found it acceptable and a 318d is on the co-car list then it might be worth a drive in one too. I'd never ever pick one personally but I'd also never pick a 110/115ish bhp diseasel

*edit - Ah wait, company lease scheme so some sort of salary sacrifice? Our deals are all poor compared to what's out there even when taking into account the tax benefit so make sure to double check what you can get elsewhere.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Can't see why you'd be looking at those two :confused:

If you want a 320d type car, you don't want a Leon.

If you want a Leon type car, you don't want a 320d.

Also, the MK2 Leon is foul, and I certainly wouldn't be buying a late 2012 MK2 Leon when the new shape is out.

Soldato
OP
Can't see why you'd be looking at those two :confused:

If you want a 320d type car, you don't want a Leon.

If you want a Leon type car, you don't want a 320d.

Also, the MK2 Leon is foul, and I certainly wouldn't be buying a late 2012 MK2 Leon when the new shape is out.

Test driving the new shape too, just trying to consider lots of options and ideas.

Back
Top Bottom