BMW 530i Sport - 3 years on

Man of Honour
On the 24th September 2006 I collected my 530i Sport from Berkshire. As that was 3 years ago I thought some of you guys might be interested in my thoughts/experiences. And given I get constant grief on this forum for pimping my car I thought I might as well actually do it for a change.

I bought the car after 6 months of searching - I was particularly fussy. My original shortlist included the Mondeo ST220, BMW 330i Sport, BMW 530i Sport, Mercedes W220 and Subaru Impreza. Quite a random selection but all have one thing in common - I'm quite a fan of saloons. I guess deep down I always knew what I'd pick in the end given that for absolutely years I've always wanted an E39 M5 and the 530i Sport is as close as I could get.

It also fitted my needs pretty well - I was starting a Uni placement which at the start was 40 miles a day and by the end was 100 miles a day so I needed something that was suited to that. I also needed something cheap to run, easy to park, economical and suited to parking on the street when I went back to Uni, which it absolutely wasn't suited to, but you cant win everything :p

I was hugely fussy with condition - I wanted a 530i or a 528i Sport *but* I wanted a 1 owner car with FBMWSH in exceptional condition. At the time this was easier said than done with a sub £10k budget, whereas today this sort of car is free with selected packs of Kelloggs Cornflakes :p

So, after a long search I ended up with an immaculate 1 owner 4.5 year old 530i Sport Saloon in Titanium Silver with 6 months BMW warranty remaining. Managed to claim a few things on the warranty - the return spring went in the gearbox so BMW paid for... an entire new gearbox. The propshaft centre bearing went so BMW.. replaced the entire propshaft. Nice.

I've done about 30k miles and the costs have been pretty reasonable:

£1400 on tyres
£2500 on insurance
£600 on road tax
£1000 on servicing and consumables
£1500 on repairs

It's been reasonably reliable - I've replaced the entire cooling system, a heater blower motor, suspension dampers, rocker cover gasket and a wheel bearing.

I manage about 20mpg around town, 35+mpg on Motorway trips and 28-33mpg on mixed trips depending on how much of a hurry I'm in.

Whats next? Not sure. I still enjoy the car so much I'm keeping it for the near future - my mileage has changed recently and I'm up and down between Plymouth and the Midlands on a regular basis so it's really well suited to that. Can't beleive its now more than 7 and a half years old - doesn't feel it, time flies! I planned to change it at 3 years because I didnt want an old car but..

Some pics..

530barbican.JPG

sideview2.jpg

frontside.jpg

side.jpg

side2.jpg

badge.jpg

Last edited:
Associate
It has to be said it looks fantastic. I'm not too keen on the list of repairs and running costs though! How the hell did you afford a ~£10k car and those running costs whilst still at Uni?!

Of course, you can tell me to mind my own business :)

Good post
icon14.gif

Associate
It has to be said it looks fantastic. I'm not too keen on the list of repairs and running costs though! How the hell did you afford a ~£10k car and those running costs whilst still at Uni?!

Of course, you can tell me to mind my own business :)

Good post
icon14.gif

because he's got a brain and used it IE stayed at the best place possible ;)

Man of Honour
OP

It wasn't £10k! I had savings and I also worked full time for a year in a placement, as well as part time at Uni. I went to my local Uni so had no accomodation costs etc.

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;14958444 said:
It wasn't £10k! I had savings and I also worked full time for a year in a placement, as well as part time at Uni. I went to my local Uni so had no accomodation costs etc.

And if some posts here and there are to be believed you used a student loan to part finance it.

How many miles are on it now?

Associate
Fox.. that car looks great.

Glad to hear that, 3 years on, your still enjoying it, not many can say that about their cars!

Is an e39 M5 still a viable option when ya chop it in?

Man of Honour
OP
Is an e39 M5 still a viable option when ya chop it in?

I really want one but it's a lot more complicated picking my next car - I'm no longer at the stage in life where I can just spend all my earnings on a shiney car. I have to give consideration to boring stuff as well :(

This is made more manageable by the fact I'm in no hurry to change it :)

Caporegime
[TW]Fox;14958481 said:
I really want one but it's a lot more complicated picking my next car - I'm no longer at the stage in life where I can just spend all my earnings on a shiney car. I have to give consideration to boring stuff as well :(

It's happened! Give it a few years and you'll be looking for that MPV ;)

Back
Top Bottom