BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
What oil do BMW workshops use/recommend?

I'm needing to pick up a 1ltr top up bottle as I've got the North Coast 500 a week Monday in a 435i/N55. Had previously read that they had switched to Shell Helix from Castrol Edge a couple of years ago and the car was serviced by BMW in April. The service sheet indicates that the oil was changed but not the oil spec.

So am I right in thinking that a litre of this will be fine: https://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4...ba7f8a6d5c5385afe5428b1a1172e000acecac&000398

Associate
So my F10 535d has gone and I've replaced it with a G32 630d xDrive MSport GT - bit of a marmite model but lovely to waft around the motorways on (which is my primary use) and lots of room for suitcases (I've managed to fit 4-5 large suitcases in the boot without putting the seats down).

As a bit of a gadget freak it is a pretty well-specced model, over and above the already quite well specced 6GT so it's got 2-axle air suspension, 360 degree camera, tech package with the remote control parking, comfort package with soft close doors/comfort seats/massage seats, adaptive cruise control with the lane keeping + other driver assistance aids. About the only things I didn't end up getting were the 4-zone climate control (although kinda wish I had that for the better front display!), cooled front seats and anything to do with the rear seats :D.

3-1.jpg

1-1.jpg

5-1.jpg

6-1.jpg

7-1.jpg

8-1.jpg

3-1.jpg

Associate
My Z4 seems to have developed self healing capabilities!

Had fault codes and live readings showing a dodgy brake pressure sensor, so figured I'd clean the plugs with contact cleaner as a first resort, no change so ordered a replacement sensor. 3 days later I realise the DSC warning is no longer appearing, so plug in to diagnostics and both sensors are now reading the correct values again.

Seems it must have just been some dirt on the connector or similar, but all is fine now.

Soldato
Any ideas how this could have happened? My sons washed my car on Saturday and noticed the graze mark under the passenger headlight. Looks like the headlight was scratched on a rough surface. Back in Feb, the car went into to have some warranty work which included fixing the vertical aim sensor on that headlight. Would the headlight have been taken out to fix this? I'm going to contact the garage to see what they say but quite a lot of time has gone by since.

UxhFXC5.jpg

Am pretty miffed, also on the passenger side door rubber there is a chunk missing which my sons also noticed, this together with some of the rattles coming back has left me pretty miffed. Can't believe the F30 is so badly built, my 2004 Accord Type-S had no rattles or squeaks at all when I got rid of it :(

Last edited:
Soldato
I would say that unquestionably that damage to the headlight has been done whilst it's been removed from the car. How else could it have happened and not damaged the surrounding paintwork? It also looks like damage from a rough surface like tarmac/concrete, i.e. not another vehicle or similar scraping past. As you say though, February until now is quite a long time so might be difficult to get them to 'fess up.

Soldato
@Havana_UK This was also my thinking, no other damage around that area so must have occurred when it was on their bench, a bench made of concrete it would seem. I'm awaiting their contact so that I can discuss but I have to admit I'm pretty peeved that you leave a car in their car and they do things like this and don't admit it yet have the audacity to charge some of the highest hourly rates, surely with their rates comes some responsibility. At the time the car was still under the manufacturers warranty so they could have made up any old nonsense to get BMW to stump up for a replacement but they decided to refit and hope the customer doesn't notice. Same for the rubber seal?

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
Should the first few gear changes (1st > 2nd > 3rd) be a little abrupt on a 2013 4 series auto? In comfort mode I was expecting smooth gear changes, but it's as though the clutch is being engaged too quickly.

Caporegime
No idea, there is supposed to be way a reset this learning. I had it done before when my stop start was as rough as nails but for me it made no difference, what did was an update of the firmware.
My partners 118d was very rough with the stop-start - massively different to her previous 12plate Ford Focus - we took it back to Stratstone Derby (its an AUC) and they updated it and it’s transformed the way it behaves, it just stops and then restarts with no fuss whereas previously we sometimes had to press the start button to get the bloody thing going again after it had auto stopped....

Interesting that Sport mode on auto gearboxes appears more intrusive in modern BMW’s, my e38 in “S” is still beautifully smooth on pull away but just holds the gear longer and / or is keener to kick down....

Man of Honour
Interesting that Sport mode on auto gearboxes appears more intrusive in modern BMW’s, my e38 in “S” is still beautifully smooth on pull away but just holds the gear longer and / or is keener to kick down....

Because it isn't just a sport mode for the gearbox, it also changes to a more aggressive throttle map.

Soldato
Yea sport is lurchy, but I wasn't expecting comfort to be like that. Could be the car has adapted to the previous owner?

You can reset the adapatation

* Press the start button once to turn on power (Don't start the engine)
* Press the accelerator down to the floor, as far as it goes and hold for at least 2 min.
* Do not take your foot off and hit start button once to turn off power
* Remove foot from accelerator
* Wait for another 2 minutes (at least)
* Start the engine and drive

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
You can reset the adapatation

* Press the start button once to turn on power (Don't start the engine)
* Press the accelerator down to the floor, as far as it goes and hold for at least 2 min.
* Do not take your foot off and hit start button once to turn off power
* Remove foot from accelerator
* Wait for another 2 minutes (at least)
* Start the engine and drive

Thanks. Seems to made a noticeable improvement.

Back
Top Bottom