BMW and M Power Owners

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Well, I hardly post here any more but I have a few spare minutes so I thought I'd post a little bit of an update...

After 15,000 miles in the Z4 sDrive35i and 30,000 miles in the F10 535d, I decided that I'd switch back to just having one car. Both cars were incredible in their own ways, and I definitely don't regret owning either car. The 535d is an incredible machine - the car has no right to perform the way it does while returning such great fuel economy. Over the 30k I did in it I averaged 36.13mpg. Considering how it was driven (with literally no regard for fuel economy whatsoever) and often in stop-start morning traffic, I think that figure is very, very impressive. The LCI build quality was much better than my earlier pre-LCI F10 520d (which averaged 43.94 over 30k miles), the car felt quite different and not just because of the engine, it was quieter, more rigid somehow and there was less noise especially at speed.

The E89 Z4 is a hugely underrated car in my opinion. I had the 3L twin-turbo N54 engine in mine, mated to the DCT gearbox and it was very much a winning combination. I drove it hard most of the time and although economy isn't really a concern in a car like that, it returned 25.23mpg over my ownership. Handling isn't what the motoring press would have you believe - it handles really well and hides its weight until you're well beyond where you'd be driving on UK roads. Like almost all BMWs these days, the brakes were somewhat lacking when pressing on for extended periods of time but that's the only criticism I have of that car.

I wanted a single car that was more of an event to drive hard than the 535d and which was more practical than the Z4. Ideally I wanted a convertible but it wasn't a total dealbreaker. After a lot of thought, I went out and bought...

...an E92 M3.

What a car! I went for a 2011 car in Le Mans Blue, DCT, EDC, HK Logic7 Audio, CF roof, etc. The engine is absolutely glorious at full chat and the handling is near telepathic and yet it is still practical and comfortable. I'm still learning where the limits are and so on (and I've got some track time and some further driver training coming up to help with that), but my first impressions are that it is much much more special than the alternatives that I was considering.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Not my first large capacity V8, so I know what I'm getting into :) I've done over 1000 miles so far and my average is 20mpg so I'm not doing too badly. Obviously that will be quite a lot lower once I've got some sunday drives in and I'll be doing the NC500 in it come spring time :)

Soldato
Joining the M5 last night and this lovely little warning light pops up, and I lose 5th gear:

cgcewl1m.jpg.png

Pulled over at the nearest services and realise I've also lost 1st gear, but nothing to say TRANS FAIL, only the yellow light appeared.

S5lO6Mrm.jpg.png

Turned the car off and on again and it's disappeared, all operating (seemingly) normally.

I'm planning on getting rid of the car within the next few months anyway, and it's worth peanuts, but I'm more concerned about being stranded somewhere over the winter. What do you guys reckon, a one off blip, or a sign of more imminent failure to come?

Car in question - 2001 E39 530i, 87k miles

Soldato
Reading online, it could be anything from a simple sensor/electrical glitch to a dying transmission.

If it happened just once, it's unlikely to be a serious issue. I'd suggest reading the error codes if possible.

Has the transmission fluid been changed at any point within those 87k miles?

Soldato
Probably indicative of impending mechatronics failure or possibly low tranny fluid. Do you have a leak anywhere?

Reading online, it could be anything from a simple sensor/electrical glitch to a dying transmission.

If it happened just once, it's unlikely to be a serious issue. I'd suggest reading the error codes if possible.

Has the transmission fluid been changed at any point within those 87k miles?

Thanks for the replies both.

I've driven it four times since, circa 60 miles in total, and every time the same issue has occured (it definitely seems to be when it shifts down two gears at once, i.e. 4th to 2nd, 5th to 3rd or whatever, it seems to go bad then). After turning the car off and on, it immediately rectifies the issue.

No leaks as far as I can tell. Anyone know where to check the transmission fluid on the E39? Is it a difficult job to check and or replace?

I'll check the codes with my OBD reader tonight. I've only owned the car since Sept 2017 and driven less than 10k miles, in my ownership it's never been checked or changed, but I definitely wouldn't know prior to that as I bought it from an indie garage.

Soldato
That looks like a really impressive executive car with a significant improvement in interior quality and premium feel.

Does anyone else feel like the exterior is a little inspired by the C-class?

Soldato
Oh are the 340 and 330d both crapdrive only??

Edit: Nope, M340i is RWD.

I was going by this quote, which seems to be a bit misleading, considering there are other versions too:

The M340i and M340d are likely to be the only variants in the standard range available with a six-cylinder engine, developing around 360bhp and 320bhp respectively. Both will be four-wheel drive as standard and use an eight-speed auto.

Back
Top Bottom