1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, Apr 12, 2012.

1. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

The conversation I replied to was comparing it specifically with the F31.

The F31 had several 6 cylinder petrol and diesel engines in the range.

2. Tenzo

Wise Guy

And in fairness the lack of that puts me off the CLA.

The CLA45 would be an option, but to my mind, does not suit the feel I am looking for - it falls more into the Golf R/Cupra ST bracket of hooligan estate.

3. jpaul

Capodecina

The point was that the originally attractive BMW characteristic a reliable/musical NA petrol 6-inline, are eroded;
    I don't need a 300hp turbocharged/6 335 340, and to that degree, I might as well be sitting in a more attractive CLA.
    That said some of the 3 cyclinders sound nice on utubes.

4. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Lol when was the last one of those? The 2003 330i? :D

5. Tenzo

Wise Guy

Deposit down on a 330d Touring Shadow - managed to knock them down a tiny bit in the end.

Black, Pro Nav, HK, Heated Seats, Folding mirrors, Rear parking camera, Park assist and (mixed feelings) XDrive. Nice enough spec, got all the key bits I want, got the engine and the boss is happy as she can park it.

6. ShivP

Soldato

N52 was/is reasonably reliable.

7. mjt

Capodecina

Riddle me this, OcUK Motors sub-forum:
    My i3 lost an argument with a wall yesterday. Rear hatch and bumper smashed, etc. Driveline error, brake error, etc. etc. Car stuck in Neutral couldn't do anything with it.
    Called BMW Roadside Assistance who organised a tow. Over the phone, I explicitly told them to come with wheel dollies so as not to damage anything. "Yeah yeah, we know what we're doing" was the response from BMW Roadside Assistance.

They came with a flatbed and a 4x4, as the car had to be winched up from an underground car park, and then onto the flatbed. Lo and behold, no dollies. They managed to deplete the battery completely during the tow, and jump-started the 12v using their truck. They then got it running to remove the handbrake (yes, the put the electronic handbrake up during this procedure and then the car totally died). Went round to the garage today and they've been trying to charge it all morning but it's not cooperating. If it's fully depleted then it'll be a write-off.

Who's at fault here? BMW Roadside Assistance surely have recordings of me telling them to bring dollies (in 2 separate calls). The battery depleted whilst the clowns towed it, and they jump-started it. I hope it's not a write-off as it was a great spec and I won't find one again for the same price :mad:

8. daztrouk

Hitman

Quick query. I have a 320i Shadow Edition. Whilst driving last week, i received a dashboard notification to inform that my coolant was at the minimum level, and to top up asap to avoid engine damage. I had no coolant, so used a bottle of water i had in the boot to get me home. I've since got coolant, but i can't tell what level my coolant is currently at in the engine bay, as i see the below when opening up the reservoir, which to me, doesn't explain anything at all. When you open it up and look into it, you see both max and min, and there doesn't appear to be anyway in which to read the level it's currently at. How am i meant to tell whether the coolant is at min or max level, or am i meant to rely on the dashboard notification to know when it's at min?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. jpaul

Capodecina

presumably the reservoir in not transluscent like earlier models ? so you can see, from the side, the kalt mark.

10. Dis86

Capodecina

Why is your coolant level dropping?

11. arfoll

Wise Guy

b48 & b58 seem to randomly drink coolant once in a while. Mine did it last year, you top up so that it's above the non marker but below the max, I wouldn't worry too much just put a bit of tap water in (BMW advised this). Car was 6 months old at the time and has never since done it. Heard similar from quite a few others.

12. Dis86

Capodecina

That's very strange! The coolant system should be a closed loop with only the rad lid, expansion tank lid and a PRV as the access points to the system.

13. dale1uk

Wise Guy

Some coolant systems are notoriously difficult to bleed. Air trapped in the system from when it was filled at the factory slowly works it's way out resulting in the coolant level dropping and needing topped up. It can be normal for new cars to need a small top up after a few months.

14. tsinc80697

Sgarrista

Not your usual post in here but I posted this back in February after it had been stripped and had new panels fitted. It's a non-road legal E46 M3 :)

[​IMG]

Picking it up on Monday ready for a track day on Friday, looks a little different!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only thing left to do is to fit new suspension, geo/align and then corner weigh it. Aiming for around 1150kg which is over 200kg lighter than my last M3 and 400kg lighter than stock.

15. daztrouk

Hitman

Unfortunately not. Its a solid black plastic unit and you can't see into the container.

16. Havana_UK

Mobster

Nice @tsinc80697 basically a race car by the look of it. Is it all FIA spec and race-legal, or purely built for track days?

17. tsinc80697

Sgarrista

Yeah everything has been built to race spec. Only thing missing is plumbed in extinguisher and rain light. It’s not road legal anymore so trailered everywhere.

18. Chris1712

Sgarrista

How much does a project like that cost, out of interest? Looks an absolute weapon, any livery plans for it?

19. Gibbo

Commissario

Hi there

Any E60 M5 owners here, past or present?
    Want a bigger comfier car and of course I want something powerful and noisy, the M5 has always being a car I wanted to tick off as to speak and I am aware to look for one ideally with clutch, actuators replaced etc. and maybe rod bearings.

But more interested in peoples ownership, I may also consider an estate version also, just always loved the M5 for that V10, not interested in newer better models, other stuff I may consider is a V8 RS4, C63 AMG etc, but the M5 is always a car I wished to own.

20. Simon

Capodecina

NA rev junky :D