BMW and M Power Owners

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
This is true. My car will use the stop start but then start back up again after 2-3 minutes if the aircon is on.

A question for others, with the myBMW app I can set a start time for the aircon, how effective is this for clearing frosted windows? if I leave the house at, say 8:15am can I set the car to heat the cabin at 7:45? How does it do this? I mean i know it heats but does it use the battery? Start the engine? is 30 minutes way too long? Is it a pile of garbage and never works properly?

It isn't the A/C and it doesn't heat. Just runs the fans, so nothing other than ambient air temp can be achieved. It is useful if you're parked in the sun to take the edge off the heat in the cabin, but that's about it.

My Dad's PHEV Outlander can heat/cool properly and when plugged into the house means you still get full battery range as well which is nice. A bit gimmicky most of the year but nice in the depths of winter.

Soldato
So practically useless then, especially in the depths of winter. Great. I've noticed it takes a lot longer to warm up than my Focus did too. Bigger engine I guess

Soldato
You aren't really allowed by law in the UK to have an engine running whilst the car is unattended on public roads, obviously on private is a different matter but the car app cannot distinguish between the two.
Plus warming up the car, or cooling it, produces pollution.
Ignore above if electric of course...

Soldato
You aren't really allowed by law in the UK to have an engine running whilst the car is unattended on public roads, obviously on private is a different matter but the car app cannot distinguish between the two.

onus is on the driver then to meet the law, just like speed limits…

we’ve had the feature to preheat/cool for years :p

Soldato
Well the onus isn't as with other manufacturers. My A4 B9 didn't have it and I never yearned for it. Maybe some BMW's have had this 'feature' for years but Audi owners also complained not one of their ICE cars have it. They only way was to pre-warm the car was with a supplementary heater. Only cars supplied to cold countries had one as standard and that did not include Scotland..

Soldato
JLR stuck two fingers up to that rule :cool:

Soldato
Next step, MPPSK to take it to >360bhp and give it a bit more of an interesting exhaust note :)
highly recommend this. got mine fitted a few weeks ago. have never driven it without sport mode on since :cry::cry::cry:
(and i leave home at 0630. my neighbours must hate me.)

Soldato
highly recommend this. got mine fitted a few weeks ago. have never driven it without sport mode on since :cry::cry::cry:
(and i leave home at 0630. my neighbours must hate me.)

Excellent!

Hoping to find someone local with one so I can hear it first, seem to be a few around north Beds on the f30 forum :)

Soldato
we’ve had the feature to preheat/cool for years :p

BMW do have it, just not in Europe.

iH21PnN.jpg

Soldato
JLR stuck two fingers up to that rule :cool:
Are car remote start systems legal in Britain?
Those who have access to private, off-street parking are legally able to use an app to remotely start a car’s engine and leave it running without being present.

However, the DfT told BuyaCar that on the public road, use of such apps “would only be lawful where the driver was in close attendance and could take control of the vehicle if needed.”. It’s an example of technology appearing to outpace the lawmakers.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/107/made

Soldato
Are car remote start systems legal in Britain?
Those who have access to private, off-street parking are legally able to use an app to remotely start a car’s engine and leave it running without being present.

However, the DfT told BuyaCar that on the public road, use of such apps “would only be lawful where the driver was in close attendance and could take control of the vehicle if needed.”. It’s an example of technology appearing to outpace the lawmakers.
https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1986/1078/regulation/107/made
Someone needs to hold the bag and persuade BMW/Merc to retrospectively enable it in time for winter. Really miss the remote warmer!

Caporegime
Anyone here got any opinion on the i8? Having been driving the wife’s Passat GTE to work on occasion has made me realise that commuting even with a PHEV with modest range can be done on electricity only. I’m still doing a number of longer private journeys a month that ultimately means a full EV is still a bit of a faff due to range.

I’ve been thinking about moving on the 440i whilst it’s currently worth more than I bought it for, and jumping into an i8. It’s certainly going to be costly (about double the value of the 440i), so it’s not going to be paying itself back in fuel savings alone, but with future residuals it might make sense long term.

Caporegime
The more I look at cars and how much they cost now the more I think I'm just going to keep my M140i for the foreseeable. An M340i touring in the spec I want is over £60k (maybe just under with discounts) which is quite frankly an absurd amount of money IMO.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Anyone here got any opinion on the i8? Having been driving the wife’s Passat GTE to work on occasion has made me realise that commuting even with a PHEV with modest range can be done on electricity only. I’m still doing a number of longer private journeys a month that ultimately means a full EV is still a bit of a faff due to range.

I’ve been thinking about moving on the 440i whilst it’s currently worth more than I bought it for, and jumping into an i8. It’s certainly going to be costly (about double the value of the 440i), so it’s not going to be paying itself back in fuel savings alone, but with future residuals it might make sense long term.

I have given them some consideration. They are pretty strange/interesting to drive and you'll have to make your mind up there but certainly the thing that put me off the most was getting in/out of the thing. You need around 31cm of completely clear space beside the car to get the door open. Then you've got a fairly significant sill. As a daily, that's gonna get annoying quickly.

Soldato

Ive also looked at them, but they were at least £10k over my budget… so I passed. They do seem like incredible value.

Top Bottom