1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, 12 Apr 2012.

1. BennyC

Capodecina

Has anyone here retrofitted AppleCarPlay to an E9x? I've seen units for around £300 which on the face of it seem good, a quick skim of few forums seems to show positive feedback.

It would be a nicety rather than necessity as I intend to keep this car a few more years and besides a now rather dated (11 year old) media system boxes are still ticked.

Thanks.

2. muon

Capodecina

Anyone know if idrive will show an orange service if you go past the mileage countdown? I have a service booked for the 4th but want to go on an unplanned roadtrip which would likely take me past the mileage countdown.

We're talking hundreds of miles. Nothing crazy.

3. BennyC

Capodecina

This is my understanding.

What you would find is that for any associated claims, sticking calipers, ABS sensors, juddering during braking etc and trivial brake claims that could be attributed to non-OE parts would likely be refused/rejected.

It wouldn't invalidate your entire warranty. Suspension, gearbox, engine etc would not be affected by non-OE brake discs/pads (you could argue ABS sensors and sticking calipers wouldn't either tbh!) and would still be covered.

Someone please correct me if required.

4. --Mike--

Hitman

I assume you already have idrive? I added a MMI box to my E93 and it works very well and pleased with it. Think I only paid £175 for it, but the site I got it from no longer exists!

Relatively easy to fit, quite hard to get all the cables back down and out of the way for the original head unit to go all the way back in, but got there.

Boots up into CarPlay automatically and is wireless too so handy. Needs an occasional reset by holding Back but not very often.

5. Dangerous Dave

Mobster

Easiest option is buy the OE parts from a dealer who offer discounts. Look on eBay generally get them 50-60% off brings them roughly inline with non genuine parts.

6. BennyC

Capodecina

Yep, I already have CIC iDrive. (2010 E92 335i)

Adding an MMI box seems like a cheaper option too. I’ll look in to this.

7. hurfdurf

Sgarrista

I think I’m going to bite the bullet and just get a £32k M4. Predictions for the price crash are 6-12 months, so stuff it.

The used approved in this price range are almost all bottom of the barrel spec wise, or recession white, or recession white and 0 options.

There’s one or two out there that aren’t, but they are missing HUD.

My 2 must have’s from talking to people are HK and HUD, but I’m rethinking needing HUD as the M4 I drove locally had it turned off and I didn’t notice until after that I didn’t notice it.

Is HUD vital?

8. tamzzy

Capodecina

Now that I have it, I don't think I could go without it :cry:

9. mjt

Capodecina

Honestly, I'd go for it if you can find one. As above, once you have it, you'd probably be annoyed not to have it again..

10. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Yes and no.

Have you ever had it? If not, then you won't miss it and won't really notice not having it. If you have, then you'll never want another car without it again.

11. hartgeh3

Wise Guy

Same well worth it, should be standard on all M cars!!

12. tamzzy

Capodecina

the HUD is basically like an SSD in computer terms...once you had one in there, you'd always wonder how you went without one for so long :cry:

13. DRZ

Soldato

The HUD is really, really nice to have - although in the summer if you wear polarising sunglasses you can barely see it at all which is a little annoying.

I don't have HUD in the Range Rover and I don't really notice that it isn't there as such, but in the M5 with sunglasses on or with the HUD turned off I found it really annoying to look down at the dials. There's something quite nice about having that info in your forward view at all times.

14. Greebo

Caporegime

Just like ACC once you have a car with HUD, you never want to go back to a car without one.

15. chanjy

Mobster

HUD is really good if you use the built in nav as it gives you directions without you having to look away. Not having it wouldn't put me off buying the car if everything else was right though.

16. ChrisD.

Caporegime

Back to the SUV vs estate car debate, we decided on an SUV for the family/dog car. We did want an X2 to stay with BMW or similar but for what we were spending we'd be in a car with the same interior as my F80, so we've gone with a Tiguan. A bonus is that it has a lot more equipment than an X2 would have had.

17. rG-tom

Sgarrista

I find it depends on the glasses - it's less annoying with my oakleys, my ray bans seem to cut out more, i think it's down to the angle of the polarisation?

18. ChrisD.

Caporegime

I can barely see the HUD with my Ray Bans.

19. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

You'll find it difficult or impossible to see the HUD with polarised lenses because the HUD image is essentially exactly what a polarised lense is designed to filter out - a reflection.

The only answer is non polarised lenses unfortunately.

20. Simon

Capodecina

Or tilt your head 90 degrees