BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Has anyone here retrofitted AppleCarPlay to an E9x? I've seen units for around £300 which on the face of it seem good, a quick skim of few forums seems to show positive feedback.

It would be a nicety rather than necessity as I intend to keep this car a few more years and besides a now rather dated (11 year old) media system boxes are still ticked.

Thanks.

Soldato
Anyone know if idrive will show an orange service if you go past the mileage countdown? I have a service booked for the 4th but want to go on an unplanned roadtrip which would likely take me past the mileage countdown.

We're talking hundreds of miles. Nothing crazy.

Soldato
BMW Insured Warranty question, regarding the policy booklet condition that:
what does this mean for consumables like brake pads/discs where my understanding is that all brakes on sale need to conform to a minimum standard to be on sale at all? Would I need to stipulate a certain brand was used if I went to an independent? Is it unlikely to affect the warranty anyway as the brake pads/discs can't be claimed against in the warranty, so buying non-OE brakes would have no bearing on any claim in the future?
[/Stupid question]

This is my understanding.

What you would find is that for any associated claims, sticking calipers, ABS sensors, juddering during braking etc and trivial brake claims that could be attributed to non-OE parts would likely be refused/rejected.

It wouldn't invalidate your entire warranty. Suspension, gearbox, engine etc would not be affected by non-OE brake discs/pads (you could argue ABS sensors and sticking calipers wouldn't either tbh!) and would still be covered.

Someone please correct me if required.

Associate
Has anyone here retrofitted AppleCarPlay to an E9x? I've seen units for around £300 which on the face of it seem good, a quick skim of few forums seems to show positive feedback.

It would be a nicety rather than necessity as I intend to keep this car a few more years and besides a now rather dated (11 year old) media system boxes are still ticked.

Thanks.

I assume you already have idrive? I added a MMI box to my E93 and it works very well and pleased with it. Think I only paid £175 for it, but the site I got it from no longer exists!

Relatively easy to fit, quite hard to get all the cables back down and out of the way for the original head unit to go all the way back in, but got there.

Boots up into CarPlay automatically and is wireless too so handy. Needs an occasional reset by holding Back but not very often.

Soldato
BMW Insured Warranty question, regarding the policy booklet condition that:
what does this mean for consumables like brake pads/discs where my understanding is that all brakes on sale need to conform to a minimum standard to be on sale at all? Would I need to stipulate a certain brand was used if I went to an independent? Is it unlikely to affect the warranty anyway as the brake pads/discs can't be claimed against in the warranty, so buying non-OE brakes would have no bearing on any claim in the future?
[/Stupid question]

Easiest option is buy the OE parts from a dealer who offer discounts. Look on eBay generally get them 50-60% off brings them roughly inline with non genuine parts.

Soldato
I assume you already have idrive? I added a MMI box to my E93 and it works very well and pleased with it. Think I only paid £175 for it, but the site I got it from no longer exists!

Relatively easy to fit, quite hard to get all the cables back down and out of the way for the original head unit to go all the way back in, but got there.

Boots up into CarPlay automatically and is wireless too so handy. Needs an occasional reset by holding Back but not very often.

Yep, I already have CIC iDrive. (2010 E92 335i)

Adding an MMI box seems like a cheaper option too. I’ll look in to this.

Soldato
I think I’m going to bite the bullet and just get a £32k M4. Predictions for the price crash are 6-12 months, so stuff it.

The used approved in this price range are almost all bottom of the barrel spec wise, or recession white, or recession white and 0 options.

There’s one or two out there that aren’t, but they are missing HUD.

My 2 must have’s from talking to people are HK and HUD, but I’m rethinking needing HUD as the M4 I drove locally had it turned off and I didn’t notice until after that I didn’t notice it.

Is HUD vital?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I think I’m going to bite the bullet and just get a £32k M4. Predictions for the price crash are 6-12 months, so stuff it.

The used approved in this price range are almost all bottom of the barrel spec wise, or recession white, or recession white and 0 options.

There’s one or two out there that aren’t, but they are missing HUD.

My 2 must have’s from talking to people are HK and HUD, but I’m rethinking needing HUD as the M4 I drove locally had it turned off and I didn’t notice until after that I didn’t notice it.

Is HUD vital?
Honestly, I'd go for it if you can find one. As above, once you have it, you'd probably be annoyed not to have it again..

Soldato
the HUD is basically like an SSD in computer terms...once you had one in there, you'd always wonder how you went without one for so long :cry:

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
The HUD is really, really nice to have - although in the summer if you wear polarising sunglasses you can barely see it at all which is a little annoying.

I don't have HUD in the Range Rover and I don't really notice that it isn't there as such, but in the M5 with sunglasses on or with the HUD turned off I found it really annoying to look down at the dials. There's something quite nice about having that info in your forward view at all times.

Soldato
HUD is really good if you use the built in nav as it gives you directions without you having to look away. Not having it wouldn't put me off buying the car if everything else was right though.

Caporegime
Back to the SUV vs estate car debate, we decided on an SUV for the family/dog car. We did want an X2 to stay with BMW or similar but for what we were spending we'd be in a car with the same interior as my F80, so we've gone with a Tiguan. A bonus is that it has a lot more equipment than an X2 would have had.

Soldato
The HUD is really, really nice to have - although in the summer if you wear polarising sunglasses you can barely see it at all which is a little annoying.

I don't have HUD in the Range Rover and I don't really notice that it isn't there as such, but in the M5 with sunglasses on or with the HUD turned off I found it really annoying to look down at the dials. There's something quite nice about having that info in your forward view at all times.

I find it depends on the glasses - it's less annoying with my oakleys, my ray bans seem to cut out more, i think it's down to the angle of the polarisation?

Man of Honour
You'll find it difficult or impossible to see the HUD with polarised lenses because the HUD image is essentially exactly what a polarised lense is designed to filter out - a reflection.

The only answer is non polarised lenses unfortunately.

Top Bottom