BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
More like 25 degrees to see it with my glasses. Simple answer is to use non polarized ones for driving, ultimately aside from the HUD issues I see very little difference with polarised lenses anyway.

Soldato
We've just returned from a 5000 mile Euro road trip. 6 countries in 19 days. I have to say the X5 45e is a lovely place to be. Only managed to charge it before we left and once at Madrid. But managed to avg 29.6 mpg Which I was quite impressed with.

Caporegime
We've just returned from a 5000 mile Euro road trip. 6 countries in 19 days. I have to say the X5 45e is a lovely place to be. Only managed to charge it before we left and once at Madrid. But managed to avg 29.6 mpg Which I was quite impressed with.

Still mulling over getting one of these. Its the price penalty that puts me off. Slightly worse spec than the Merc GLE 350de I have on order and it still comes out at £8k more expensive. It would be more than £10k if i specced like for like.

Just not sure the BMW is worth a £10k premium over the Merc.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
X5 45e looks great; it's a shame they don't make a 545e Touring..
Bloody expensive though!

Soldato
Still mulling over getting one of these. Its the price penalty that puts me off. Slightly worse spec than the Merc GLE 350de I have on order and it still comes out at £8k more expensive. It would be more than £10k if i specced like for like.

I think ours has everything apart from the sunroof and B&W sound.
New Stock is thin on the ground and we wanted rid of the X3. Our was the thick end of £87k and jumped at it. https://video.citnow.com/vtw7Rxq3SYy I was hesitant with the interior at first, but now black seems boring as hell (there's something Bentley'esk about the colour)

I've had a bit of a fallout with Merc and am now a BMW fan. (also ordered an M5Comp)

Man of Honour

They are actually quite different propositions.

The GLDE350de has a 2 litre 4 cylinder diesel engine with hybrid system attached. By contrast, the X5 has a 3 litre turbo petrol engine with the hybrid system attached. The X5 is therefore considerably more powerful, noticeably faster and smoother. It's a much more powerful car that arguably sits above where a GLE350de does. It is therefore not surprising or particularly outrageous that it costs £10k more - in the past there have been similar cost differences within a range between the 2 litre diesel and the range topping petrol.

But this difference makes the cars quite different - I quite like the Mercedes idea of pairing hybrid drivetrain with an efficient and frugal diesel engine. It gives you zero emissions running in the city but the efficiency and range of a diesel when on longer trips. This is an appealing prospect. By contrast, the BMW decision to pair the hybrid system with a much more thirsty (But clearly very awesome) 3 litre turbo petrol is a strange one.

The economy figure that matty managed on his trip is very impressive for a 2.5 tonne 3 litre petrol turbo SUV. But I'd imagine that the Mercedes would have been considerably more fuel efficient on this trip. If this is important to you, the Mercedes is likely the better choice. If it isn't, the X5 is arguably a better car.

Personally, I wish BMW did a 530de. My perfect car..

Soldato

The economy figure that matty managed on his trip is very impressive for a 2.5 tonne 3 litre petrol turbo SUV. But I'd imagine that the Mercedes would have been considerably more fuel efficient on this trip. If this is important to you, the Mercedes is likely the better choice. If it isn't, the X5 is arguably a better car.

Lots of 120-130kph drives. But also some spirited driving. Swiss Alps, Furka Pass etc.
I was very impressed especially given the 2.0d X3 only managed mid 30's.
As for the Engine with the Hybrid its mental. nearly 400bhp in a house feels crazy.

Our normal day to day mileage varies a lot... It can be 3-4 miles a day or a weeks worth of 400 miles a day.
Running on electric only for a week nipping to my nearby businesses helps with long term MPG for sure, But I was really impressed with this trips avg

Soldato
Seems like it's the ideal PHEV, big enough car that the battery doesn't leave you without a boot, proper B58 engine, large 24kWh battery.

Caporegime

The GLDE350de has a 2 litre 4 cylinder diesel engine with hybrid system attached. By contrast, the X5 has a 3 litre turbo petrol engine with the hybrid system attached. The X5 is therefore considerably more powerful, noticeably faster and smoother. It's a much more powerful car that arguably sits above where a GLE350de does. It is therefore not surprising or particularly outrageous that it costs £10k more - in the past there have been similar cost differences within a range between the 2 litre diesel and the range topping petrol.

But this difference makes the cars quite different - I quite like the Mercedes idea of pairing hybrid drivetrain with an efficient and frugal diesel engine. It gives you zero emissions running in the city but the efficiency and range of a diesel when on longer trips. This is an appealing prospect. By contrast, the BMW decision to pair the hybrid system with a much more thirsty (But clearly very awesome) 3 litre turbo petrol is a strange one.

I know what you are saying but actual base price, the cars are both approx the same price. Its just BMW charge way more for options than Merc that you end up with a £10k deferential. Thats what annoys me.

Soldato
More like 25 degrees to see it with my glasses. Simple answer is to use non polarized ones for driving, ultimately aside from the HUD issues I see very little difference with polarised lenses anyway.
I find it makes a big difference as I can actually see other drivers. I've heard polarised glasses and looking at a still lake is a wierd experience but I've nit tried it yet. Does make the screen tricky to see as well if you tilt your head.

Soldato
Polarised (Oakly flak-jackets) I use for driving/mountains/sea cut glare massively with reflections off of surfaces, they have different qualities between manufacturers,
even the lcd car screens and phones give problems - never tried amoled.

Alternative to X5 phev - is the new Toureg - he extols benefit of rear wheel on big suv's which T doesnt have.
driven with the VW Touareg eHybrid PHEV vs Touareg R
[watched this afterward Tesla model S yolk looks like a fail https://youtu.be/B3DTQT0i754?t=96 ]

e: seems there is a solution to polarised issue https://www.ff.com/us/futuresight/hud-and-polarized-sunglasses/

We saw this as an issue and tried to address it by working with a whole new PGU. One that is not an LCD based, but instead DLP based technology. Instead of using a polarizer structure to act as a shutter for light to pass through, DLP uses very tiny mirrors do direct light in the PGU. Each mirror acts as a pixel while red, green and blue LEDs are used as a light source. This millions of tiny mirrors in the micro array are switched very slightly to produce the image that is needed.

Last edited:
Associate
Got an e90 in the household, engine light and emissions light came up, got bmw sytner warranty who approved the repair.
Sensors (o2 and no2?) are stuck in exhaust and Sytner can't get them out. Sytner saying exhaust needs replacing at £1400 cost and insurer won't cover exhaust replacement.

Sheesh what to do? :(
Just an update, this is sorted now, sytner said they had to put a helicoil in for each sensor.
They were very good about it and glad I kept paying for the warranty in the end.
Took 2 weeks though, and now the handbrake is sticking. Took it down the motorway and getting vibration, got a feeling its something to do with handbrake shoes...

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Is an LCI G31 worth the price premium over a pre-facelift?

Engines are cleaner and the iDrive is more modern and with a bigger screen, but the digital dash is a bit crap really, and depreciation will be much higher than a late-model pre-facelift... thoughts?

Soldato
I think ours has everything apart from the sunroof and B&W sound.
New Stock is thin on the ground and we wanted rid of the X3. Our was the thick end of £87k and jumped at it. https://video.citnow.com/vtw7Rxq3SYy I was hesitant with the interior at first, but now black seems boring as hell (there's something Bentley'esk about the colour)

I've had a bit of a fallout with Merc and am now a BMW fan. (also ordered an M5Comp)

Why did you pay so much and then settle for getting it in white?

Man of Honour
Is an LCI G31 worth the price premium over a pre-facelift?

Engines are cleaner and the iDrive is more modern and with a bigger screen, but the digital dash is a bit crap really, and depreciation will be much higher than a late-model pre-facelift... thoughts?

The late pre facelift cars also have idrive 7 with the new digital dash by the way.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The late pre facelift cars also have idrive 7 with the new digital dash by the way.
Interesting. They don't get the enlarged 12.3" screen though, but the wheels are nicer :p
What are your thoughts? LCI worth the extra?

Top Bottom