1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, 12 Apr 2012.

1. IAmATeaf

Soldato

Rang a few places to try to get an idea of servicing costs and they all said I'd need to pop in to get the key scanned, didn't realise this before as I had a servicing plan and just booked and dropped off, what a PITA as this means I now need to make a journey just to get an idea of the type of service required and costs.

2. Scythe

Soldato

If you know what service it needs (from I drive) then you can get service costs from BMW’s website.

3. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

Just work out what it needs yourself and then we can either advise you here or you can look it up yourself.

What is the model and mileage of the car and what does idrive say is due in the service requirements menu?

4. paradigm

Caporegime

Looks like my F33 440i has succumbed to the water ingress issue. Result is that PDC, rear windows and roof operation are dead. :(

Hopefully extended warranty will cover it as the water ingress is external and not caused by an internal spillage (I.e. user error).

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10147023-9999.pdf

5. Robbo

Capo Crimine

That's very disappointing on quite a new car! I hope it's covered, absolutely should be.

6. Jony27

Sgarrista

E39 just passed it's MOT last Sunday with no advisories. Not bad for a 20y/o car :D

7. Martynt74

Capodecina

Christ, i can't get over how expensive used cars are in Spain. We're aiming for a road trip at some point to look for potential locations to relocate to. I thought, instead of hiring a car for a few weeks we could buy one, then leave it at my parents place so we had something immediate when we moved. My dads always loved a convertible too so thought i'd look for something like an old Z4.

Given you can pick up a 2005ish model over here for around £4-£5k, i'd assumed there'd be similar cars over there....Nope, i seem to be looking around €11k for the same kind of car :(

Take this as an example!
    https://es.wallapop.com/item/bmw-z4-3-0-i-cabrio-170-kw-231-cv-694288907

What's even more baffling is that new cars are similarly priced to over here so i'm unsure what keeps the used market so inflated. My dad bought a 2017 F Pace last year for about £35k that would've been £25k over here and i thought he'd just overpaid, but perhaps not.

Maybe i need to find a LHD car over here and drive it over!

Last edited: 15 Oct 2021
  8. Greebo

Caporegime

Maybe because the weather is nicer so convertibles hold their money better?

Prices always drop in the Uk at this time of year because summer is over. There are loads of 2005sih z4s for sale atm in the UK. Around 100 on autotrader alone. Add in other outlets and you might have the pick of 200.

Does seem mad when £9k would have got you a 2011 328 convertible in the Uk (I know its not a z4)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2011-BMW...=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

9. [TW]Fox

Man of Honour

It's from a salvage seller and is a model never sold in the UK. I don't think it's particularly representative of value...

It might be a US market import?

10. Martynt74

Capodecina

I thought that, but it seems to be the whole market, a 2011 Tiguan is over €12k and from speaking to my dad that's been the case for a long time so not just inflated due to current situations.

Those kind of prices certainly make it difficult to justify a second car over there given we make use of just one over here!

11. Greebo

Caporegime

Fair enough, I never looked at it in detail, just had a quick glance for lhd bmw convertibles.

Some countries are just like that. I would quite enjoy living in a country where cars depreciated really slowly so that after 15 years they were still worth more than 33% of new.

Depreciation is the biggest cost of ownership for most cars in the UK.

12. mjt

Capodecina

You have been very lucky in the UK. The price of second-hand cars is extremely low. The UK RHD market is very small and this was reflected in the poor residuals. Now that values have shot up recently, the prices are much higher, but still significantly lower than EU prices. I’m surprised that everyone is surprised by this :p

13. turbot1984

Mobster

Its a good time for PCP contracts that are ending. I can pay a £5,500 balloon payment on a Polo and keep the car. Valuation is £10,700 due to low covid miles and how the market is. Result!

14. cuke2u

Mobster

It depends though upon how much has the car cost you altogether over the whole pcp term including the balloon payment...

15. BennyC

Capodecina

So MOT today, passed but noted a coolant leak. Chap said it was smoking too. Huge trail of water/coolant to where the car was parked. Coolant light came on during the 1 mile drive home.

Removed part of the air in-take to follow the trail of the leak, upper right side as it was hitting the radiator fan and then getting sent all over the engine. Found what looks to be a fairly big crack just to the corner of the BMW sticker...

Car's on 105,000 miles and has the Mondial extended warranty, Emergency Service on their way, is this likely to be covered or am I going to have a fight on my hands?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16. turbot1984

Mobster

No crazy temps while you were driving i hope? No idea on warranty exclusions but best of luck!

17. turbot1984

Mobster

Anyone seen a new 4 series convertible in that lovely olive green yet? Looks mint in the brochure pics.

18. BennyC

Capodecina

Only oil shown on the dash. Smoking slightly when I pulled on to the drive (5 mins from the test centre). Coolant dripping off the engine cover and rear of bumper.

The hoses seem fine, googling at the moment because I'm 90% certain the hole at the top shouldn't be there based on what I've seen so far. Lots of people with stone chips/cracks not covered under warranty but based on its position and not being a perishable or wear & tear item I'm hopeful it's covered.

The radiator doesn't seem to be expensive itself but the labour involved would be I expect.

My Indy is literally half a mile up the road if it's not covered but will see what BMW ES say when they attend, if it's not covered I'll limp it to the Indy but if it is they can recover and repair at their own leisure.

19. muon

Capodecina

Doubt the breakdown guy will be able to tell you about the warranty. It will need to be recovered to a dealer, diagnosed and then you will get an answer.

I'd be impressed if that is covered. Would be very hard to argue that just happened by itself.

20. BennyC

Capodecina

A pressure test quickly showed the hose attached to the oil cooler was squirting coolant toward the front of the engine bay, the small hole at the top of the radiator is nothing.

The hose hadn't split or perished but rather the plastic coupling has cracked/split/sheared.

He'll be back Monday, charge should be parts which is likely to be less than the excess on warranty anyway or not much more.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]