1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BMW and M Power Owners

Discussion in 'Motors' started by panthro, 12 Apr 2012.

1. theone8181

Soldato

Could be the angle, But that fitting looks melted at the none cracked side.

2. jpaul

Capodecina

oil isnt it ?
    If there had been any recent maintenance in that vicinity I'd wonder if something had been wedged/levered behind the connector/union inititiating the break.
    (diy - but was trying to squeeze a CPS connector through a gap without disconecting/bleeding power steering hoze recently)

3. BennyC

Capodecina

I think it might just be wet. The fitting itself was in good shape, still secure by the fastening clip. But seems to have perished precisely around where the jubilee clip was secured.

Last bit of maintenance to the engine was a year or so ago, most likely an oil change. It's been to my Indy since but for rear pads a few months back.

In 2015/2016 the thermostat/waterpump were changed under warranty, hoses and couplings I expect to still be originals from 2010.

Last edited: 16 Oct 2021
  4. jpaul

Capodecina

as you say , sounds too long ago to be a side effect - saw some brittle plastic comments here on front joint/bar you originally suspected.

5. theone8181

Soldato

Probably vibration then and the clip cut through.

6. BennyC

Capodecina

Thanks for highlighting that, I’ll pick one up and see if he’s happy to fit. Failing that my Indy can replace it in a few weeks time.

Seems the most likely cause. The smaller section which had cracked and broken off has discoloured and turned brown with white marbling. Oddly though the rest of the coupling is still jet black and fine so possibly just repeated heat & vibration from the jubilee clip.

Driveway repair saves recovery to the stealers and the associated faff that comes with it!

Last edited: 17 Oct 2021
  7. 233

Capodecina

BMW warranty question

520d has just turned 3 yr old and had an offer from BMW for extended warranty

75k ok the clock and bmw quote is £97 a month for fully comprehensive or £105 a month with breakdown

now

is the warranty worth paying £1200 a year for if I’m
    Doing 30/40k a year

Do
    I have to stick to bmw servicing ?

Also need a set of 275/35/19 tyres for the rear

I have a compressor and gunk on order should I just replace like for like with
    Bridgestone T005s or something else?

budget say £200 a corner

8. 233

Capodecina

BMW warranty question

5 has just turned 3 yr old and had an offer from BMW for extended warranty

75k ok the clock and bmw quote is £97 a month for fully comprehensive

now

is the warranty worth paying £1200 a year for if I’m
    Doing 30/40k a year

Do
    I have to stick to bmw servicing ?

9. Havana_UK

Soldato

If I'm not mistaken after 100,000 miles they will no longer offer fully comp warranty, only driveline, so your level of cover will be forcibly reduced after your first year. The warranty is an insurance product...only you can judge your attitude to risk and therefore the value of the warranty to you.

You don't have to stick to BMW servicing, but you do have to use genuine (or equivalent) parts.

10. rG-tom

Sgarrista

if you pay monthly the warranty stays the same as when you bought it indefinitely. Few small bits change like wear and tear stops over 100k, but for example BMW just replaced a wheel speed sensor on my old e92 on 112k without quibbling

11. paradigm

Caporegime

Car is finally going in today to diagnose (not really much diagnostics to do, the REM is fubar) what's wrong with my 440i.

Expecting this to be somewhere between a £1500 and £2000 bill. Hope the extended warranty covers it!

12. MrRockliffe

Mobster

My other half's father has a 330d from 2016, and since he got the car, he's been having some issues with the GPS location.

He didn't notice it, unfortunately, until after the warranty had expired (6 month on a second hand), since he seldom uses it. It was only when he came to drive to us that he noticed the problem.

I've offered to try and resolve the problem.

The issue

When opening the map/starting navigation, the location is displayed incorrectly. It is approximately 50 miles north east of his actual location.

It has displayed the correct position a couple of times.

When initiating the navigation to a location, the route calculates from the (incorrect) location, and kind if glitches out as he drives, frequently telling him to turn left/right/around etc

Info and spec

I've got the VIN for the vehicle, so if anyone needs part of it, I can provide it.

It's a 2016 (16 plate) 330d with pro nav (wide screen).

Potential fixes

I know that you can set your current location on ID6 - I will see if I can do this on his car.

I've also heard some ID systems use built in internet access to help with the location. There’s a module called ATM - how could I test this?

Lastly, I have heard there's a hidden menu where you can check the GPS lock - how do I do this?

Map Updates

One last thing - how can I update his maps? I've seen you can download them online, is this illegal?

13. Havana_UK

Soldato

Ah ok...nice to know! :)

14. Havana_UK

Soldato

I don't know about any of the rest, so I won't offer help there, but you can buy the official year's worth of map updates with USB + over the air updates from the BMW store online. Over the air updates ONLY update your local country (UK in our case) but the USB download does the whole of Europe. I can't remember the cost, but it's realtively inexpensive (maybe around £100?).

/edit: map update package on my 2015 F80 was £79 I believe (that was USB + online)

It's not illegal to download them from another source, but you AFAIK you need a particular "key" to unlock and update it, and these have to be bought, either from BMW or from some other source.

15. MrRockliffe

Mobster

Fab, thanks for the info :)

Where he lives, the main road passing past the town was changed (new roundabouts/junctions) so the sat nav doesn’t pick this up.

16. Havana_UK

Soldato

Google for "BMW Connected Drive Store". They often have a "sale" around the end of the year too.

17. MrRockliffe

Mobster

Will do, thanks again :)

18. ChrisD.

Caporegime

It's worth noting that the update software can be quite picky with USB sticks. It also takes ages, I think my M3 was about 30 minutes in the car.

19. chanjy

Mobster

You need to use a 32GB stick formatted FAT32, anything else and no bueno!

20. IAmATeaf

Soldato

I've always updated the maps myself by downloading and then generating the map FSC update key, no idea of the legaility but I just used E-Sys to retrieve specific info from the car and then used some software that I got from the F30 forums.

I use a 64Gb Sandisk USB stick formatted to NTFS, again for me a 32Gb isn't big enough, just and it takes around 40 minutes to update the maps. Just make sure you are going on a long journey as although the update is supposed to resume I've found that on shorter journeys it tends to start all over again.