BMW and M Power Owners

Commissario
5 year/60,000 mile service pack available for my M340i for £627 - I have no idea if that's good value or not? I realise it will get me 2 services but as my first service isn't due until next year, I'm not sure what it's likely to cost!

Soldato
5 year/60,000 mile service pack available for my M340i for £627 - I have no idea if that's good value or not? I realise it will get me 2 services but as my first service isn't due until next year, I'm not sure what it's likely to cost!
A single service with filters and spark plugs for my F31 335i is £485 so it seems decent?

Soldato
A single service with filters and spark plugs for my F31 335i is £485 so it seems decent?
I guess it depends on how many and what sort of miles you do? With condition based servicing you could end up with two or three services. The value could be good if it can be transferred to any new owner too.

Caporegime
They clearly don't think it's worth it for my M3 as it's not available. Thankfully the dealer did the horrendously expensive service just before I bought it.

Soldato
Just rang the ConnectedDrive line - unfortunately you can't stack the package on top of any existing standalone services :(

I have RTTI until 8/2022 and replacing it with the M package (which is cheaper than RTTI on its own) will automatically cancel what I have now and start the date again with no refund - damn :( May as well wait till BF next year and get my account into the cycle of BF annual renewals.

Commissario
I guess it depends on how many and what sort of miles you do? With condition based servicing you could end up with two or three services. The value could be good if it can be transferred to any new owner too.
Around 6000 miles per year, it’s estimating first service as December 2022 so I reckon I could squeeze 2 in.

Man of Honour
They clearly don't think it's worth it for my M3 as it's not available. Thankfully the dealer did the horrendously expensive service just before I bought it.

That'll be why its not available then, it's only available if purchased before the first service is due. It's for new cars. It looks like the return to the old style service packages they used to have.

Commissario
That'll be why its not available then, it's only available if purchased before the first service is due. It's for new cars. It looks like the return to the old style service packages they used to have.
You reckon it's worth it for me mate?

Man of Honour
You'll need to spreadsheet it - the prices for the services you'll need are available on the BMW Service website, so it should be fairly easy to price up your servicing requirements over the next few years and compare that with the cost of the package.

When I did this for my car (before they got rid of them the last time in 2017) I worked out that it was just about worth it for me on the basis of two services. In the end, I actually managed 3 (The terms didn't limit service numbers then, but they do now) and it ended up being quite a big saving, but at 2 services it was going to be more marginal. My pack cost about £700 I think and this was 5 years ago now (wow).

Actually I've had a look for you and even the second service on its own for the M340i is basically the price of the pack. I think it probably is worth it for you.

Commissario
You'll need to spreadsheet it - the prices for the services you'll need are available on the BMW Service website, so it should be fairly easy to price up your servicing requirements over the next few years and compare that with the cost of the package.

When I did this for my car (before they got rid of them the last time in 2017) I worked out that it was just about worth it for me on the basis of two services. In the end, I actually managed 3 (The terms didn't limit service numbers then, but they do now) and it ended up being quite a big saving, but at 2 services it was going to be more marginal. My pack cost about £700 I think and this was 5 years ago now (wow).

Actually I've had a look for you and even the second service on its own for the M340i is basically the price of the pack. I think it probably is worth it for you.
Thanks, I think I'll go for it.

Associate

Out of interest where quoted this? I had a look on the BMW site and it came back with £900 for 2 services (oil/filter + major), 1 MOT (showed as Oct 2022 which is not correct as it would be due Feb 2024) + usual health checks and 2 MAP updates (End 2022 + 2024).

Cheers :)

Soldato
Had some (extended) warranty work done today without any hassle at all. To my surprise the dealer in question didn't give me an itemised 'invoice' as they have done in the past, showing parts & labours costs - then settled with the excess payment. Instead I received only the 'cash sale invoice' for my excess with no added detail relating to the the claim, parts used or work done.

I pressed for this a bit though the rep serving me suggested it was probably best to contact BMW Warranty directly. The Warranty Claims team have since told me the claim between the dealer and them is confidential (due to reduced labour costs and preferential parts prices etc) and that I can request it again and they should give me something but costs may be obscured etc.

I find this a little odd, my primary aim is to have something to evidence if/when I sell the vehicle and my secondary purpose is to see the overall cost and continue to asses the value the extended warranty provides.

I have the details of the After Sales and Service Managers and I don't doubt they'll be forthcoming now I've more formally requested it with genuine reasoning.

Has anyone here recently experienced similar or are you still receiving a 'full breakdown' so to speak?

Soldato
I find this a little odd, my primary aim is to have something to evidence if/when I sell the vehicle and my secondary purpose is to see the overall cost and continue to asses the value the extended warranty provides.
do the repairs notionally have a 6month warranty that could extend independantly beyond the life of the extended warranty.

Soldato
Same always just been a receipt for the excess. Last time I had warranty work I asked what it would have cost if I was paying and they used a calculator to work it out from watching him type they give the warranty company a 45% discount.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Same always just been a receipt for the excess. Last time I had warranty work I asked what it would have cost if I was paying and they used a calculator to work it out from watching him type they give the warranty company a 45% discount.

I've always asked for a quote for what it would cost if the warranty didn't pay out for any reason. They've always given me that in the past without issue but I've always asked before the work has commenced and it has been something they could do quickly from their computer system so the details must already be there for the warranty claim.

Soldato
I've always asked for a quote for what it would cost if the warranty didn't pay out for any reason. They've always given me that in the past without issue but I've always asked before the work has commenced and it has been something they could do quickly from their computer system so the details must already be there for the warranty claim.
^ This is the right way to go about asking the question.

The robot behind the till will get bogged down in detail that is uninteresting (sharing preferential pricing, different SKUs specific to warranty provider, etc, etc).

Soldato
Got a dilemma. Been offered a good price (for current prices) on a 520i touring and mega equity on our 320d so if we change monthly payments go down but we start a new agreement (can go a year shorter) on a similarly aged car but with very low miles.

Finance aside as a 5 series is what we want our next step to be anyway, which would you do:

Keep 2018 320d m sport (31k miles) not many options, white with dakota leather interior

Trade for 2018 520i SE (14k miles) has comfort seats but not sure if this is standard, space grey with oyster interior

Looks wise the 320 is better but I'd get the 520 windows tinted. Use wise it's mainly commute, town and up and down the m6/m40 to see family.

Interested in people's thoughts?