BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
I test drove a 330e and a m340i today. I really liked the 330e. Both cars were fantastic. Very comfy and smooth and felt like a huge step up in quality than the Focus rs.

I’m not sure I need to get the m340i. The 330e was fast enough and is cheaper to buy and I’m sure cheaper to run. The only reason I can see for the m340i is the extra power, noise and x drive.

They are quite big reasons, but yes, if you aren't fussed about those things then there's no sense paying more.

Man of Honour
Presumably offset by the enormous MPG claims (if you charge the car?)

In theory, yes. But if you do a lot of longer journeys the benefit of this is much lower and you're essentially carrying the batteries around whilst using a 2 litre petrol turbo with a 40 litre fuel tank :D

If most of your driving is more local and you plug the car in at night then I'd imagine the benefits of the hybrid system will be greater than the disadvantages of the small fuel tank. But you really do need to use the plug in functionality properly, if you don't the 330i is a much better car unless its a company car, where the hybrid system brings significant tax savings.

Associate
118D M Sport with 245/35R18 tyres looking to get a space saver wheel - apart from obvious 5 stud pattern what should I be looking for w.r.t how much the rolling radius can differ and hoping all BMWs have same pattern of nut sizes ??

i3 REX also with 175/60R19 Mrs wants a space saver

Appreciate some advice

Soldato
118D M Sport with 245/35R18 tyres looking to get a space saver wheel - apart from obvious 5 stud pattern what should I be looking for w.r.t how much the rolling radius can differ and hoping all BMWs have same pattern of nut sizes ??

Appreciate some advice
Scrap yard? You'll want jack/foam/etc too presumably.

Soldato

Appreciate some advice

mjt

mjt

Soldato
I test drove a 330e and a m340i today. I really liked the 330e. Both cars were fantastic. Very comfy and smooth and felt like a huge step up in quality than the Focus rs.

I’m not sure I need to get the m340i. The 330e was fast enough and is cheaper to buy and I’m sure cheaper to run. The only reason I can see for the m340i is the extra power, noise and x drive.
As Fox says, consider the 330i. The 330e has a much smaller boot and you'll be lugging the batteries around all the time for nothing unless your usage matches a PHEV perfectly. The 330i is no slouch.

Associate
I’ve ruled out the 330e and am deciding between a 330i and m340i now. I’ve found similar cars around a similar price. The standard spec on both cars is very good and The only things I want to make sure the car has is the Harmon Kardon speakers and I quite like the heads up display. I’d want apple car play and wireless charging too but the salesman said not all cars have apple car play and it’s awaiting a software update if it doesn’t have it?

Is there anything else crucial for the spec that I’ve missed? This would be my first bmw so I’m not too familiar with all the options and packs.

Soldato
I’ve ruled out the 330e and am deciding between a 330i and m340i now. I’ve found similar cars around a similar price. The standard spec on both cars is very good and The only things I want to make sure the car has is the Harmon Kardon speakers and I quite like the heads up display. I’d want apple car play and wireless charging too but the salesman said not all cars have apple car play and it’s awaiting a software update if it doesn’t have it?

Is there anything else crucial for the spec that I’ve missed? This would be my first bmw so I’m not too familiar with all the options and packs.

I take it you’re looking at the new shape, as you mentioned M340i

Options wise, HK is a good one if you like your music, as is the HUD.

Otherwise, you’d be looking at things like adaptive lights, heated seats (if they’re not standard), acoustic glass (I think part of the rear tinted window pack).

In terms of engine, well it entirely boils down to whether you want a 6 cylinder or a 4 cylinder.

The 330i will be quick and it’ll feel sporty enough. If you enjoy hooning your cars down the A4069 and the like, the M340i with it’s more powerful engine and LSD will feel even sportier.

The M lite is closer to the M3 than the previous gen is.

You then need to consider the current climate. If you’re stretching your budget for an M340i, it may not be wise to get one - if cost of living keeps spiralling out of control, will you regret your purchase and have to sell it anyway?

If not, and you have the spare money, I’d be tempted to buy one of the best non-M cars BMW has made, and certainly one of the last :)

Man of Honour

If the 330i and M340i are a similar price, you’d be mad to get the 330i.

Could you post the adverts, then we can better advise…

Man of Honour
If the 330i and M340i are a similar price, you’d be mad to get the 330i.

I agree with this. I am surprised if its the case and it suggests you can probably find a better priced 330i somewhere else.

For me, the 330i is a good car but the value in it is that it should be significantly cheaper than an M340i. If it is not, then I see little point. I am not a particular fan of the 4 cylinder engines because I don't feel they really offer anything significant over the 6 cylinder models when they are similarly priced. Fuel efficiency wise they are not significantly better, perhaps 10% and in terms of running costs there will be little difference especially as BMW now fits large and expensive brakes to everything anyway so you don't even really benefit from cheaper parts costs with the smaller engine models.

If I was buying a new 3 Series (I'd actually really like to but refuse to pay the current prices) I'd be considering the M340i, 330d and M340d only. The M340i is IMHO the best car in the range* - I'd take one over an M3 personally - but the 6 cylinder diesels offer significant fuel economy benefits, so there are clear benefits to both. I don't think you can say the same about the 330i, unless it's a good £5k+ cheaper than the equivalent M340i, in which case your benefit is the purchase price.

It's difficult to completely ignore fuel costs now it's almost £2 a litre and if this is a concern then the fact the M340d easily does 50mpg yet still has 340bhp is quite useful!

*I'd happily argue it's the best 3 Series BMW have made. I know many will disagree with me, but I think it really is that good.

A large BMW needs a 6 cylinder engine in my opinion - the 4 cylinder engines work well in the smaller cars, but the current 3 Series is basically the size of an E39 5 Series these days and although the 330i is quick and powerful the power delivery style of the 4 cylinder turbo doesn't give you quite the same feel as the 6 cylinder models. In the past I have gone diesel to avoid 4 cylinder BMW engines in large cars and I'd do so again if I needed to.

Associate
Just from looking at AUC, I'd say the M340i is around £5-7k more than a 330i (same age/mileage). Worth it IMO.
Yeah on the bmw used approved site I’ve filtered the cars to up to 3 years old so I make sure the g20 design. I wouldn’t want to get the older shape. I then add the tech pack and then filter from price low to high to get an idea of cost. There are 330is from £30k and the cheapest m340i is £37500.

It’s a lot of money but I am now liking the idea of the m340i a lot more. I like the 4 wheel drive in the RS and It would be nice to get a 6 cylinder engine again, especially if the fuel savings of a 4 cylinder aren’t that good. Bmw offered me 10.9% apr finance which I thought is crazy, he said it’s the best they can do so I’ll use some finance elsewhere if that’s the case!

Thanks for all your replies. I’m learning a lot :)

Soldato
Depending on what the cars going to be used for and given the prices at the pump, I see no reason to discount the '4 pot', day to day there's little difference.
A large BMW needs a 6 cylinder engine in my opinion - the 4 cylinder engines work well in the smaller cars, but the current 3 Series is basically the size of an E39 5 Series these days and although the 330i is quick and powerful the power delivery style of the 4 cylinder turbo doesn't give you quite the same feel as the 6 cylinder models. In the past I have gone diesel to avoid 4 cylinder BMW engines in large cars and I'd do so again if I needed to.
This is an enthusiast forum and there's no denying how great BMW 6 cylinder engines are but I'd argue against avoiding them. Although not necessarily relevant to the discussion, I had to lower my sights and get a new 520d in December having previously had 3 litre diesels and I can honestly say that it's a lovely thing. Power delivery isn't quite the same but the insulation and refinement has came a long way. Priced against the 530 at the time, it made more sense and my wallet is thanking me now.

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
Deffo get a G20 with HK, the standard audio is really bad, the HK isnt brilliant but it a big step up from the base setup. Ive got wireless charging and its pretty slow with my iphone. The HUD and gesture control is one of those features that you'll play with for a day and never use it again. I had the comfort pack and thats been a nice to have with the heated wheel and keyless entry etc.

Back
Top Bottom