BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
Did you read the article linked

BMW starts selling heated seat subscriptions for $18 a month -The auto industry is racing towards a future full of microtransactions : https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature

This means the only way you can use the heated seat option is to pay monthly for it, or subscribe for a year ($180), three years ($300), or pay for “unlimited” access for $415.
If the first owner knows they are only using the car for 2-3 years (most company car/salary sacrifice users), why would they pay more for unlimited use ?!!
I suppose it does open up a potential to only pay in the winter, 3-4 months and not use them the rest of the year.

Man of Honour
Heated seats is a daft one - they should be standard on any new BMW.

However, there are benefits to this, it means you can effectively pay to adjust the spec on a used car. The majority of used cars for sale have very few options as most people aren't bothered.

That's one benefit, but it will all depend on the cost.

Associate
Will be interesting to understand people's thoughts on this? Seems ridiculous to me, especially considering the subscription options are one year, three year and unlimited.

Bit of a minefield though, e.g. how much are heated seats usually? Guessing they're part of a cold weather pack so hard to view an apple vs apple comparison to just buying the option. Supposedly options are worthless in regards to increased value when it comes to second hand, or so I've read - even though I always read people say "hard to find x with a, b, c options".

Did BMW recently poach an exec from EA Games or something? :p

BMW. It's in the seats....

Soldato

BMW starts selling heated seat subscriptions for $18 a month -The auto industry is racing towards a future full of microtransactions : https://www.theverge.com/2022/7/12/23204950/bmw-subscriptions-microtransactions-heated-seats-feature

This means the only way you can use the heated seat option is to pay monthly for it, or subscribe for a year ($180), three years ($300), or pay for “unlimited” access for $415.
If the first owner knows they are only using the car for 2-3 years (most company car/salary sacrifice users), why would they pay more for unlimited use ?!!

Hackers are gonna have a field day with this.

Man of Honour
Hackers are gonna have a field day with this.
True but any modification now flags up on ISTA so goodbye to any warranty claims to do with the electronics. BMW will be aware of this and almost certainly make it extremely difficult for any type of claim if they can wriggle out of it by blaming it on coding.

Soldato

This means the only way you can use the heated seat option is to pay monthly for it, or subscribe for a year ($180), three years ($300), or pay for “unlimited” access for $415.​

Tell me where it says the ONLY way to get heated seats is this option.

It even says this is active in the UK already but I still see heated seats available to spec as a cost option from the factory

To me, I read it as an ADDITIONAL way to get heated seats if you regret not speccing it originally.

Man of Honour
It'll be internet-linked and checked regularly, I don't think it'll be easily coded without affecting warranty at the very least.

Soldato
I think it'll easily be coded in. Stuff like carplay activation is also available through the connected drive store but 3rd party coders do this much cheaper and BMW don't deactivate it when you bring it in for servicing or anything like that.

edit: same for map updates

Caporegime
Yes - With EV's more power, torque and battery capacity can be unlocked by paying an option fee. So it's not just limited to tech/interior options.
e.g. Tesla could sell one version of the M3 with dual motors and a 75 kWh battery with the base priced model being single motor, 55 kWh battery enabled, and you pay a monthly fee to use/unlock the extra motor and battery capacity.
Stupid idea to carry around 20kWh of battery. The weight and cost penalty without actually using it would be madness

Soldato
Stupid idea to carry around 20kWh of battery. The weight and cost penalty without actually using it would be madness
Maybe when the cost per kwh comes down it wont be such as an issue.
The majority of drivers on the road don't care about the weight of their car. It's just the obsessives on the internet and track day drivers who do.

Caporegime
Maybe when the cost per kwh comes down it wont be such as an issue.
The majority of drivers on the road don't care about the weight of their car. It's just the obsessives on the internet and track day drivers who do.
But more weight means less efficient and more mass for the suspension to deal with so it impacts ride quality. Also the volume of the battery makes packaging more difficult. If you remove the modules to make room for foot garage you get a more comfortable rear seat. Polestar 2 a good example of this done badly as the rear seats really lack headroom due to a massive battery. (It also rides mega hard due to the weight )

Cost per kWh isn’t coming down. Have you seen as material prices ?

Pretty much every review mentions weight too. It links to how it feels. How it brakes. How much it nackers up your drive and how much your tyres wear. 2.2ton i4s are rather different to a 1700kg ICE 4 series (on the road).

Soldato
I finally got to join the world of BMW. I always wanted an M2xxi since they were released and about 8 months ago I finally got the one I wanted. Drove 500 miles round trip to get it! I've absolutely loved my ownership so far. Only issue I have is the windscreen washer spray doesn't work. Apparently common on BMWs. I need to get the bottle out to clean it. One thing I couldn't believe is how many things are optional extras, but I guess that's just the world of BMW.

2017 M240i in Mineral White with Red leather

- 36k miles. Higher than I would have liked, but I only do 6k a year anyway.
- ZF 8 speed Automatic
- Heated steering wheel
- Adaptive suspension
- Variable sport steering
- Sun protection glass
- Heated seats
- Front and rear parking sensors
- Cruise control with brake function
- Pro nav with Carplay integration
- Harmon Kardon
- Full Teleservices & Connected Drive

Only thing I've done to it is fit an aftermarket switchable Quicksilver exhaust which you can see in the last image. It sounds lovely now.

nODJMn7.jpg
A6sbVze.jpg
NLdro5s.jpg

Very proud owner!

Soldato
But more weight means less efficient and more mass for the suspension to deal with so it impacts ride quality. Also the volume of the battery makes packaging more difficult. If you remove the modules to make room for foot garage you get a more comfortable rear seat. Polestar 2 a good example of this done badly as the rear seats really lack headroom due to a massive battery. (It also rides mega hard due to the weight )

Cost per kWh isn’t coming down. Have you seen as material prices ?

Pretty much every review mentions weight too. It links to how it feels. How it brakes. How much it nackers up your drive and how much your tyres wear. 2.2ton i4s are rather different to a 1700kg ICE 4 series (on the road).

The Polestar 2 is actually one of the better EV's for rear head & legroom because a lot of the battery is placed in the transmission tunnel through the middle of the car.

Cost per kwh will come down over time - sort term no, but it's not staying at or above $100 per kwh for ever !

Of course every car review mentions weight - why wouldn't they. Not disagreeing with the weight impacts either - but most people are not commuting, doing the school run or driving to the shops via the Nürburgring. Pretty sure the majority of people couldn't care less if their car weighed 2.2 or 1.7 tons for this type of use .

Back
Top Bottom