BMW and M Power Owners

nam

nam

Soldato
Hello
any owners of an M2 competition in here ? been looking at the new M240i but also considering the previous M2 competition.

Any advice?

Man of Honour
I'd say that's a fair assessment, but the only way to know is to go and drive them both. The M2 Competition will be less comfortable, with a worse interior, but an entirely different proposition to drive, especially when pressing on.

It really depends what you're after.

Soldato
Hello
any owners of an M2 competition in here ? been looking at the new M240i but also considering the previous M2 competition.

Any advice?

I had an hour long test drive in an m240i on Satuday whilst my 440i was being MOT'd, on my own so I could drive it properly on some great country roads.

I haven't driven the M2 so can't directly compare it to that, but can directly compare it to my F36 440i with MPPSK (so running ~370-380bhp).

It was a very different car to mine in terms of how it drove, the adaptive suspension was incredibly better than on the f36, considerably flatter and stiffer whilst still being well-damped. The LSD was very obviously better than the open diff too, as despite being 4WD it was clearly rear biased and when in sport+ with traction in sport+ too, it was very happy to get sideways when you wanted it to in an extremely controllable manner.

It didn't feel any faster in a straight line than my car other than it could obviously get the power down at low speeds better, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, I genuinely don't feel you need much more than the performance these offer....the new xDrive m4 for example just felt too quick to be any fun without doing absolutely bonkers speed when i had that for a few hours last year.

The interior is miles better than the old 2 series, and the tech obviously excellent. Gearbox is as expected, very very quick but very smooth.

If i got one, I'd want it with silver wheels and none of the Mperformance sills/spoilers etc, but other than those I think it's actually a great looking car:

zCyTVLF.jpeg

xXF4YAn.jpeg

7UZFLaj.jpeg

LX4DUKo.jpeg

rfGY6r9.jpeg

EgTSumh.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
I had an hour long test drive in an m240i on Satuday whilst my 440i was being MOT'd, on my own so I could drive it properly on some great country roads.

I haven't driven the M2 so can't directly compare it to that, but can directly compare it to my F36 440i with MPPSK (so running ~370-380bhp).

It was a very different car to mine in terms of how it drove, the adaptive suspension was incredibly better than on the f36, considerably flatter and stiffer whilst still being well-damped. The LSD was very obviously better than the open diff too, as despite being 4WD it was clearly rear biased and when in sport+ with traction in sport+ too, it was very happy to get sideways when you wanted it to in an extremely controllable manner.

It didn't feel any faster in a straight line than my car other than it could obviously get the power down at low speeds better, but that's not necessarily a bad thing, I genuinely don't feel you need much more than the performance these offer....the new xDrive m4 for example just felt too quick to be any fun without doing absolutely bonkers speed when i had that for a few hours last year.

The interior is miles better than the old 2 series, and the tech obviously excellent. Gearbox is as expected, very very quick but very smooth.

If i got one, I'd want it with silver wheels and none of the Mperformance sills/spoilers etc, but other than those I think it's actually a great looking car:

Great write up. I agree with your point around an M4 being almost too quick to have fun.

Even in my comparatively slow S5, I’m always shocked how quickly I can be doing 70.

I think the 40i’s are excellent cars for the public road.

I bet your 4 series sounds better though?

Associate
This arrived on Thursday. 2019 M850i with Tech pack, Premium pack, Visibility pack and M carbon roof.

Lots of man maths involved - fuel prices, the ridiculously expensive warranties on these and a little risky given the economic situation. But I absolutely adore it. Coming from a 2007 Mondeo 2.5T that I ran for 8-9 years :)

Need to take some better pics for sure in coming days but here goes!

Lsrkqx1.jpeg

Soldato
This arrived on Thursday. 2019 M850i with Tech pack, Premium pack, Visibility pack and M carbon roof.

Lots of man maths involved - fuel prices, the ridiculously expensive warranties on these and a little risky given the economic situation. But I absolutely adore it. Coming from a 2007 Mondeo 2.5T that I ran for 8-9 years :)

Need to take some better pics for sure in coming days but here goes!

Ohhh congrats. Also just payed for one 8 series to pick up next week for same reason as you, absolutely loved it and also in exact same colour supersonic blue which is amazing in the flesh is it not? Though mine is the baby 40i, still an upgrade from my current mode of transport, 2 human legs :p But gawd the 850i looked tempting and sounded amazing! congrats

Associate
Ohhh congrats. Also just payed for one 8 series to pick up next week for same reason as you, absolutely loved it and also in exact same colour supersonic blue which is amazing in the flesh is it not? Though mine is the baby 40i, still an upgrade from my current mode of transport, 2 human legs :p But gawd the 850i looked tempting and sounded amazing! congrats
Nice, congrats to you as well then. Yes, for me it had to be the Sonic Speed Blue. I have always wanted a car in a blue like this and it just happens to go perfectly with the blue calipers and laser light housings :)

Associate
Hi all,

I have a M140i - currently no Car Play activated. I'd really like control of Spotify and Maps via the Pro Nav. I'm android, not iPhone. Has anyone tried/had success with MMI box? I have a feeling for the experience to be as slick as possible i will need to have Car Play activated and switch to an iPhone?

A shot of mine whilst in for an interim service..

FB-IMG-1655917904136.jpg

Soldato
Installed an antenna in my 2017 530e today. Hope is to get car play turned on in the next few weeks and apparently it is needed.

May recall I bought the car last summer - absolutely love it but become apparent that it was not fantastically specced.

Caporegime
Hi all,

I have a M140i - currently no Car Play activated. I'd really like control of Spotify and Maps via the Pro Nav. I'm android, not iPhone. Has anyone tried/had success with MMI box? I have a feeling for the experience to be as slick as possible i will need to have Car Play activated and switch to an iPhone?

A shot of mine whilst in for an interim service..

FB-IMG-1655917904136.jpg
You'd likely get a much better answer, and certainly many who have already done it on babybmw.

Back
Top Bottom