BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Hi all,

I have a M140i - currently no Car Play activated. I'd really like control of Spotify and Maps via the Pro Nav. I'm android, not iPhone. Has anyone tried/had success with MMI box? I have a feeling for the experience to be as slick as possible i will need to have Car Play activated and switch to an iPhone?

A shot of mine whilst in for an interim service..
MMI boxes work really well. However control of either CarPlay or Android Auto is quite compromised on that gen due to the lack of touchscreen do you might be disappointed at how slick it all is (even if you get CarPlay on the Idrive)

Associate
MMI boxes work really well. However control of either CarPlay or Android Auto is quite compromised on that gen due to the lack of touchscreen do you might be disappointed at how slick it all is (even if you get CarPlay on the Idrive)
Is that because when activated (or MMI installed) touch screen isn't compatible? I have the Pro Nav which is currently touch screen enabled.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Yeah I’m really excited to see it. I’m coming from a Focus RS so it should be a nice upgrade in quality, economy etc. I’m not bothered about having a hot hatch any more.
Can confirm it's plenty quick and also impressively economical. Not sure why anyone would "need" an M340i. Clearly at autobahn speeds it's much quicker, but how much of that can you really use in the UK?

My only complaint was that I couldn't get the lumbar support comfortable in the sport seats on very long journeys. I was constantly adjusting it. Other than that though, brilliant car :)

Man of Honour
Not sure why anyone would "need" an M340i. Clearly at autobahn speeds it's much quicker, but how much of that can you really use in the UK?

It's not necessarily about performance, it's also about refinement and power delivery style. Unfortunately, if you want a 6 cylinder petrol 3 series now the M340 is the only option (excluding the M3).

Caporegime
Can confirm it's plenty quick and also impressively economical. Not sure why anyone would "need" an M340i. Clearly at autobahn speeds it's much quicker, but how much of that can you really use in the UK?

My only complaint was that I couldn't get the lumbar support comfortable in the sport seats on very long journeys. I was constantly adjusting it. Other than that though, brilliant car :)

I'm not sure why anyone needs a 330i when a 316i will suffice...

Performance offers advantages, particularly with increases in cylinder counts or the addition of forced induction.

A 6 cylinder engine is balanced and so gives a greater level of refinement through reduced vibration and aurally they're also far more pleasant that a 4 cylinder.

On top of that the additional power at higher speeds allows for safer overtaking.

Obviously the disadvantages are increased purchase and running costs.

Associate
So I bought and collected my 2019 bmw 330i today. It’s had one previous owner and has only done 5100 miles. I absolutely love it! It has Portimao Blue paint which looks so nice. Everything about the car is fantastic. It was a joy to drive back home in.

I’ll try add some pics tomorrow :)

Associate
Test drove the i4 40 and m50 today at the BMW dealership in Dubai. Decent cars, although space in the back is a little cramped with the presence of the 4GC transmission tunnel. Checked offers in the UK and it doesnt look great - almost coming up to Porsche Taycan numbers!

Caporegime
Test drove the i4 40 and m50 today at the BMW dealership in Dubai. Decent cars, although space in the back is a little cramped with the presence of the 4GC transmission tunnel. Checked offers in the UK and it doesnt look great - almost coming up to Porsche Taycan numbers!

That's one of the things putting me off them too and the Taycan is absolutely leagues apart in terms of quality.

Associate
This arrived on Thursday. 2019 M850i with Tech pack, Premium pack, Visibility pack and M carbon roof.
A week in, I am extremely pleased with my choice overall. The one area that disappoints me is the Harman Kardon sound system. It feels like it lacks any depth. I've done a little messing around with the equalizer, but yet to find much improvement.

Caporegime
A week in, I am extremely pleased with my choice overall. The one area that disappoints me is the Harman Kardon sound system. It feels like it lacks any depth. I've done a little messing around with the equalizer, but yet to find much improvement.
I think people say if you load up bimmercode and use the profile for the Bowers & Wilkins, you can do a lot to improve the HK sound quality.

Commissario
I think people say if you load up bimmercode and use the profile for the Bowers & Wilkins, you can do a lot to improve the HK sound quality.
Might need to look into this, must say I've been pretty underwhelmed with the HK in my M340i

I also don't know if it's because I'm playing music over Bluetooth which kills quality?

Soldato
Might need to look into this, must say I've been pretty underwhelmed with the HK in my M340i

I also don't know if it's because I'm playing music over Bluetooth which kills quality?

Usually it needs a bit of tinkering to get the HK system to sound good.

If it’s anything like the F3x, try these settings:

This is with Logic 7 ON - you’ll need different settings if you turn it off.

Adjust the frequencies first, then the bass.

Should take the muddy-ness out of it

Caporegime

loads of tips on the forums to improve the sound by loading different car profiles.

And how to enable the B&W DSP settings

Lots more threads on there about how to dramatically improve the HK sound for no cost (if you already have the bimmercode stuff)

Back
Top Bottom