BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
A week in, I am extremely pleased with my choice overall. The one area that disappoints me is the Harman Kardon sound system. It feels like it lacks any depth. I've done a little messing around with the equalizer, but yet to find much improvement.

See my above post for settings.

It helps tame the typical ~150 to 250 Hz muddy-ness of the HK systems in BMWs, making the lower end bass more noticeable.

That being said, the 8 inch underseat woofers are quite low profile, and don't go super low. You might find it better to swap them out with the Focal ones at some point - they're plug and play.

Associate

It helps tame the typical ~150 to 250 Hz muddy-ness of the HK systems in BMWs, making the lower end bass more noticeable.

That being said, the 8 inch underseat woofers are quite low profile, and don't go super low. You might find it better to swap them out with the Focal ones at some point - they're plug and play.
Thanks, I'll give this a go.

Associate

I'd say it does sound a little better now, but still really lacking depth. Is installing after market audio equipment likely to have any impact on warranty?

Soldato
Have you put some music directly on a usb drive or transferred it onto the cars hard drive ? that way you are avoiding any encoding or bitrate issues if the bmw hu directly accesses the media so should give best chance of success (might want to experiment with 44.1 or 48Khz sample rate but an aac encode at 250Kbit/s, or even flac should nail it)

Caporegime
I'd say it does sound a little better now, but still really lacking depth. Is installing after market audio equipment likely to have any impact on warranty?

A lot of people on the BMW forums swap out speakers but most people say the biggest change you can make is to replace the amplifier. Its not even replacing it, the MATCH and similar models, you just unplug all the leads and plug in the new amp and fasten it in place. Easy to take out later.

People reckon the speaks arent actually that bad (focal are still a big improvement though but without upgrading the amp as well, probably arent worth it)

A lot of people have replaced the amp with a view to upgrading the speakers later but then don;t bother as they are happy with the amp swap alone.

Commissario
Have you put some music directly on a usb drive or transferred it onto the cars hard drive ? that way you are avoiding any encoding or bitrate issues if the bmw hu directly accesses the media so should give best chance of success (might want to experiment with 44.1 or 48Khz sample rate but an aac encode at 250Kbit/s, or even flac should nail it)
I need to try this

Associate
A lot of people on the BMW forums swap out speakers but most people say the biggest change you can make is to replace the amplifier. Its not even replacing it, the MATCH and similar models, you just unplug all the leads and plug in the new amp and fasten it in place. Easy to take out later.

People reckon the speaks arent actually that bad (focal are still a big improvement though but without upgrading the amp as well, probably arent worth it)

A lot of people have replaced the amp with a view to upgrading the speakers later but then don;t bother as they are happy with the amp swap alone.
I looked into this, and possibly just googled badly, but there doesn't appear to be a plug and play replacement for the g20 H&K system for the amp only for base and hifi, bit annoying as the amp seems to be the easiest option for a quick upgrade.

Caporegime
I looked into this, and possibly just googled badly, but there doesn't appear to be a plug and play replacement for the g20 H&K system for the amp only for base and hifi, bit annoying as the amp seems to be the easiest option for a quick upgrade.

It would appear you are right. I had mistakenly assumed that since the HK amp uses the RAM module like my hifi system does, it would just be plug and play.

So looks like speaker upgrades are your only choice.

Soldato
I looked into this, and possibly just googled badly, but there doesn't appear to be a plug and play replacement for the g20 H&K system
think it's a multi-part replacement - with an optical interface like helix - SDMI25, and a DSPamp(which can also give you direct usb/wireless link into it, cutting out bmw hu)

Man of Honour
I've got the letter through so it's time to get insured warranty.

For comprehensive cover with a £250 excess it's £793 a year. If I add roadside assistance it's £875. Is BMW roadside any good or am I better off going with AA or the RAC instead?

Man of Honour
If I add roadside assistance it's £875. Is BMW roadside any good or am I better off going with AA or the RAC instead?

It is a very good product and is worth the money - BUT...

It only covers the car the policy is taken out for, obviously, whereas other breakdown services will cover multiple cars in your household. If the BMW is your only car, then in my view it makes sense to have the BMW policy. It is one of the best and most comprehensive breakdown policies around.

But if you have multiple cars in your household, it's a more difficult decision.

Also note that even without paying for breakdown cover you will get basic recovery to the nearest BMW main dealer if the car breaks down away from home.

Man of Honour
It is a very good product and is worth the money - BUT...

It only covers the car the policy is taken out for, obviously, whereas other breakdown services will cover multiple cars in your household. If the BMW is your only car, then in my view it makes sense to have the BMW policy. It is one of the best and most comprehensive breakdown policies around.

But if you have multiple cars in your household, it's a more difficult decision.

Also note that even without paying for breakdown cover you will get basic recovery to the nearest BMW main dealer if the car breaks down away from home.
Thanks, the Tiguan is covered by VW so I'll get BMW breakdown in that case.

Soldato
I'm not sure why anyone needs a 330i when a 316i will suffice...

Performance offers advantages, particularly with increases in cylinder counts or the addition of forced induction.

A 6 cylinder engine is balanced and so gives a greater level of refinement through reduced vibration and aurally they're also far more pleasant that a 4 cylinder.

On top of that the additional power at higher speeds allows for safer overtaking.

Obviously the disadvantages are increased purchase and running costs.
running costs? what increased running costs are there?

from having had a 430i and a 440i, the 440i is basically just as efficient in any circumstance. There is literally no down side to the x40i over x30i other than purchase price?

Caporegime
running costs? what increased running costs are there?

from having had a 430i and a 440i, the 440i is basically just as efficient in any circumstance. There is literally no down side to the x40i over x30i other than purchase price?

It's not just as efficient. Bmws own figures offer about a 15% fuel economy difference. More power means more tyre and brake wear. More cylinders mean more oil and spark plugs.

Soldato
It's not just as efficient. Bmws own figures offer about a 15% fuel economy difference. More power means more tyre and brake wear. More cylinders mean more oil and spark plugs.

they can claim what they want efficiency wises, in the real world they're as near as damnit identical in similar driving.

Do BMW actually charge more for servicing one over the other?

tyre and brake wear is entirely down to how it's driven, yes if you used all the power you'd have more tyre and brake wear but if you drive them the same you wouldn't

Soldato
they can claim what they want efficiency wises, in the real world they're as near as damnit identical in similar driving.

Do BMW actually charge more for servicing one over the other?

tyre and brake wear is entirely down to how it's driven, yes if you used all the power you'd have more tyre and brake wear but if you drive them the same you wouldn't
Pretty sure just M cars cost more to service

Back
Top Bottom