BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
they can claim what they want efficiency wises, in the real world they're as near as damnit identical in similar driving.

Do BMW actually charge more for servicing one over the other?

tyre and brake wear is entirely down to how it's driven, yes if you used all the power you'd have more tyre and brake wear but if you drive them the same you wouldn't

I mean real mpg disagrees with you on the first part and they've got a much bigger sample pool to choose from!

They certainly did when I had my last bmw - the 640d service was cheaper than the 650i for example.

Tyre and brake wear isn't just down to driving style at all. The m340i has a different suspension set up, limited slip diff and bigger brakes off the shelf. It's also heavier. All of these things impact brake and tyre wear. Plus...if you've got that extra power you're going to be using it, or why buy it?

Soldato
I mean real mpg disagrees with you on the first part and they've got a much bigger sample pool to choose from!

They certainly did when I had my last bmw - the 640d service was cheaper than the 650i for example.

Tyre and brake wear isn't just down to driving style at all. The m340i has a different suspension set up, limited slip diff and bigger brakes off the shelf. It's also heavier. All of these things impact brake and tyre wear. Plus...if you've got that extra power you're going to be using it, or why buy it?

realmpg compares different drivers, and as per your point someone buying an m340i would likely be driving it harder than someone buying a 330i so a difference there doesn't surprise me at all. From real-world driving of both (albeit in the old car), driving them both in very similar ways, there's basically no difference. Cruising on a motorway? basically identical. Thrashing both down country lanes? Both incredibly bad (12-13mpg), but actually the 430i was very slightly worse from my experience perhaps because actually you were WOT more often.

Anyway, in reality, other than saving purchase price I think the x30i engines are pointless. They're really not enough more (in my experience no more) fuel efficient than their bigger brother engines as they should be for how much worse they are in terms of refinement and power. Let's take your best-case example of 15% difference in fuel economy which I think is more representative of different driving styles between likely purchasers...even with that, only 15% more fuel consumption for 50% more power seems like an absolute no-brainer? The only material cost is the purchase price.

Man of Honour
6 cylinder service costs have always usually been higher than 4 cylinder simply because they require more parts when servicing (more oil too) The difference isn't massive though.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Nope. Apparently not. I haven't the heart to mention tax or insurance yet.
For the vast majority of people, the 330i will be more car than they ever need. For sure, get the M340 if you're a petrolhead. But the G30 330i is a very good car.

Soldato
Test drove the i4 40 and m50 today at the BMW dealership in Dubai. Decent cars, although space in the back is a little cramped with the presence of the 4GC transmission tunnel. Checked offers in the UK and it doesnt look great - almost coming up to Porsche Taycan numbers!

Spent a lot of time looking at both of those. Had two extended test drives and really liked the M50. The problem is, as you say, it's not far off a poverty spec taycan, which I guess is a poor comparison as a like for like spec (M50 vs 4S with matching equipment) is a lot more. Even so, I really liked the M50....then went an ordered an etron GT :rolleyes: I still don't know if i've done right.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Spent a lot of time looking at both of those. Had two extended test drives and really liked the M50. The problem is, as you say, it's not far off a poverty spec taycan, which I guess is a poor comparison as a like for like spec (M50 vs 4S with matching equipment) is a lot more. Even so, I really liked the M50....then went an ordered an etron GT :rolleyes: I still don't know if i've done right.
Haven't driven any of those high-end electric cars, but the GT looks amazing and the interior is wonderful. I'm sure you'll be fine ;)

Man of Honour
If an independent services the car, do they update the iDrive? I just want an interim oil service and it's over £200 at BMW.

Is this on your M3? I’d go to BMW if it’s full BMWSH etc.

I’ve been quoted a grand for the major service, just because they have to replace the 6 spark plugs too on the S55.

Soldato
Nope. Apparently not. I haven't the heart to mention tax or insurance yet.
The point @rG-tom is making, being an owner of both a 430i and 440i of the same gen, is that costs are largely the same.

It’s not the same as going from a Ford Focus to a 430i.

Other factors will impact the cost of ownership more than just the engine and power.

Tyres, for example, can vary in cost, in my experience, quite a lot by the size of alloys.

How you drive will impact the economy more too.

The most important point, though, is that if you can afford a 330i to run, you can most definitely afford a 40i too.

If it’s tight enough that you can’t, I’d argue you shouldn’t be buying a 330i or a BMW in the first place.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
The point @rG-tom is making, being an owner of both a 430i and 440i of the same gen, is that costs are largely the same.

It’s not the same as going from a Ford Focus to a 430i.

Other factors will impact the cost of ownership more than just the engine and power.

Tyres, for example, can vary in cost, in my experience, quite a lot by the size of alloys.

How you drive will impact the economy more too.

The most important point, though, is that if you can afford a 330i to run, you can most definitely afford a 40i too.

If it’s tight enough that you can’t, I’d argue you shouldn’t be buying a 330i or a BMW in the first place.
There's a difference between the F30 330i v 340i and the G30 330i v M340i though. The F30 was never an M 'lite' like the G30.
Also, the running costs of a 4-pot BMW 3 Series are hardly going to break the bank though are they?

Man of Honour
There's a difference between the F30 330i v 340i and the G30 330i v M340i though. The F30 was never an M 'lite' like the G30.

I can't think of anything about the G30 'M' 440i that would make it materially different in terms of costs to the F30 340i. I've never seen an F30 340i without the M Performance braking system, for example.

I doubt there is any material difference in running costs between the F30 440i and the M340i.

Back
Top Bottom