BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
I've put around 16K on my F11 535D with PS4 tyres since we got it in February 2021. The rears are starting to get to the point where I want to replace them. I see that are now offering PS5 tyres, are these worth switching to?

Man of Honour
if it's basically the same price or thereabouts then personally i'd opt for the ps5
though there are arguments for keeping it all the same and getting the ps4 (maybe?)

Man of Honour
If you can deal with the looks then the 640i GC is a relative bargain.

I presume you mean the 640i Gran Turismo, the 640i Gran Coupe is a great looking car :D

It is, however, a very good suggestion if you can deal with the looks. It doesn't exactly look THAT bad and if it looked any better it wouldn't be quite the bargain it often is.

The problem with the 5 Series in the UK market is many of them are really quite poor specification as people prioritise things like 20 inch wheels over more useful specification like memory seats and the upgraded headlights. So most 540i you find will be missing one or more of the nicer luxury features you'd expect on a car of this type, especially given the car market at the moment you can expect to be paying over £30k for really quite an old car.

But with the 6 Series, the upgraded headlights, memory seats, panoramic sunroof etc are all standard fit across the range - they all have these items. So its much easier to find a really nice specification car. It is also absolutely huge - it has greater luggage volume in the boot than the 5 Series touring.

So really, the only reason not to buy one over a 5 Series Touring is if you really, really can't stand the looks.

Soldato
Thanks for all the info ^^^

The roofbars are one of the main things I need back, so sadly counts the GC out (I almost like how it looks...).

LED headlights are a must
Sunroof - nice to have, but not a deal breaker
Would rather smaller wheels but wouldn't count one out that had the above mentioned bits
HK stereo would be nice

I've seen a few with Xdrive, worth having?

I've found this one:

heated steering wheel! :)

Last edited:
Man of Honour
LED headlights are a must

Basic LED headlights are standard - but for the best headlights, you need the ICON LED lighting system which you'll notice very few have.

I've seen a few with Xdrive, worth having?

No, but you've got no choice as the 540i is only available with xDrive in the UK market. This is unfortunate because all it really does is make the 540i even less fuel efficient. Australia got a RWD one :(

Man of Honour
the standard led lights are not as bright as the xenons either (at least for the f3x 3 series)
i've got the icon adaptive leds on mine and they're grand for driving on the motorway at night esp with high beam assist turned on

mjt

mjt

Soldato
That 540i has comfort seats which are very good. Seems a decent spec. Is Adaptive Cruise extremely rare or something? Seems strange not to have added that...

Man of Honour
How is it not part of a pack?

It is?

Which is even more expensive - Driving Assistant Professional.

Remember, in the UK market things like 20 inch wheels and large blue brakes with M on them are more important on a diesel motorway car than things like adaptive cruise control. So these are the things which get fitted, not useful things like Adaptive headlight systems or adaptive cruise control.

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: mjt
Soldato
It is?

Which is even more expensive - Driving Assistant Professional.

Remember, in the UK market things like 20 inch wheels and large blue brakes with M on them are more important on a diesel motorway car than things like adaptive cruise control. So these are the things which get fitted, not useful things like Adaptive headlight systems or adaptive cruise control.
I really don't think that is the case. I'd say "BMW have understood the market to favour this crap and then pushed it unrelentingly for a decade". My Merc C180 had adaptive high beam in 2012 as standard. A Nissan Leaf has adaptive cruise as part of its spec.

Back
Top Bottom