BMW and M Power Owners

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
My neighbour has a lovely 4.8l V8 X5 and enjoys nailing it away from the house after reversing out of the garage. It makes me want a V8 everytime.

Yep, i am fairly set on all my cars being V8s forever, they do make other configs sound a bit tame when you are used to them. I am eyeing up a 650i Convertible at the moment with the same engine as that X5, its a very nice engine :)

Caporegime
If you where to buy a late model sub 100k mile e39 m5, how much money would you bank in a "broken car fund"?

Potentially, the purchase price of the car again.

If your lucky, a lot,lot less.

If your unlucky though - and taking Sod's law into consideration - quite possibly a whole lot more!

Sobering....

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I just had a little man (on Monday) so we are in need of more seats in our sports convertible hence the change from Mercedes.

I am also considering an F12, but i think they are just too much for a generic brand and pretty much zero gain over the E64 which i don't view as a massively inferior car at all.

Go for the 650i by the way, the 645 carries little point these days, the 650i will be the same to own but with additional power and usually everything specced. :)

Soldato
Potentially, the purchase price of the car again.

If your lucky, a lot,lot less.

If your unlucky though - and taking Sod's law into consideration - quite possibly a whole lot more!

Sobering....

Where is he spending all this money over a standard E39? Have you ran one or are you just scare mongering?

Other than expensive discs I haven't seen anything untowards with the E39 M5.

All other running gear is just run of the mill stuff with any other E39, I haven't seen any huge M tax costs.

Soldato
I just had a little man (on Monday) so we are in need of more seats in our sports convertible hence the change from Mercedes.

I am also considering an F12, but i think they are just too much for a generic brand and pretty much zero gain over the E64 which i don't view as a massively inferior car at all.

Go for the 650i by the way, the 645 carries little point these days, the 650i will be the same to own but with additional power and usually everything specced. :)

Congrats btw.

Looking at prices for a 645, they're quite affordable, but saying that, had a quick glance and 2006 650 ain't that much more.

But, all depends what comes first that has a manual, convertible, and lowish miles (Under 65k).

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Congrats btw.

Looking at prices for a 645, they're quite affordable, but saying that, had a quick glance and 2006 650 ain't that much more.

But, all depends what comes first that has a manual, convertible, and lowish miles (Under 65k).

Why the low miles out of interest? I would always buy on condition over that, some of the best examples i have seen (one owner cars) have been the higher milers :)

Soldato
Why the low miles out of interest? I would always buy on condition over that, some of the best examples i have seen (one owner cars) have been the higher milers :)

I always prefer a car with lower mileage and it'll be easier to sell on in the future, if it has lets say 100k on it at time of sale, instead of 160k+

Plus i'd get depressed when I see that my car has travelled 150k+ and not worth much, depresses me now seeing my Accord over 110k miles :(

I've seen a lot of examples that are actually under 50-60k miles, at a decent price.

Its mostly a personal thing :D

Soldato
Cheers :) Over the moon with him. Are you back from Aus now, your location is Ireland again?

Not back yet, get back in 3 1/2 weeks, just getting ahead of myself with my location change :D

The fun now is deciding what to buy - insurance is nuts as they won't recognise Oz NCB so most logical thing is to go classic. Road tax is nuts so most logical thing is to go <2.0 or classic. Everything is pointing towards a V8 W126 or a Porsche 944.

Associate
Tempted as hell to replace my 530i Sport with an M5. Conflicting arguments on running costs and potential for mega expensive bills is putting me off at the moment though.

Mind you, I only do around 3k a year currently so it might not be that much of an issue.

Caporegime
Where is he spending all this money over a standard E39? Have you ran one or are you just scare mongering?

Other than expensive discs I haven't seen anything untowards with the E39 M5.

All other running gear is just run of the mill stuff with any other E39, I haven't seen any huge M tax costs.

See my previous post (#6953),no, I don't run an e39 M5 but know a few people who do, some of which have spent next to nothing keeping them on the road, others who have spent thousands chasing almost endless - costly - faults.

I'm not scaremongering, and freely concede you can pick one up and run it for next to nothing - for what it is and ,as I say,if your lucky - but, throw Sod's law into the mix and you can very quickly find yourself with some pretty horrific bills, relative to the purchase price of most 100k mile examples these days.

Soldato
See my previous post (#6953),no, I don't run an e39 M5 but know a few people who do, some of which have spent next to nothing keeping them on the road, others who have spent thousands chasing almost endless - costly - faults.

I'm not scaremongering, and freely concede you can pick one up and run it for next to nothing - for what it is and ,as I say,if your lucky - but, throw Sod's law into the mix and you can very quickly find yourself with some pretty horrific bills, relative to the purchase price of most 100k mile examples these days.

You could say the same about any car...sods law a Focus may have the timing belt snap, expansion tank crack, alloy wheel crack, rear subframe break in half....

Caporegime
You could say the same about any car...sods law a Focus may have the timing belt snap, expansion tank crack, alloy wheel crack, rear subframe break in half....

Indeed you could, but a £5k Focus isn't ever going to going to match a £5k M5 in terms of major repair bill no matter how catastrophe the failure.

86JR was asking about the potential reserve needed as a just in case fund on a 100k miler example. (At a guess, somewhere around £5k to buy?)

Potential doesn't mean it will happen, more it could were you unfortunate.

Don
need to paint my calipers as they are looking tired, what do you guys think about yellow?

IMG_8971_zps2e13a2bb.jpg

anyone, anyone, bueller??

:p

Soldato
They look ok - are the existing ones corroded and minging looking?

Sometimes a rub down and fresh black or silver coat can look better than anything else

Back
Top Bottom