BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
That isn't the reason I would have went for the LED's. The reason I would have went for them is the trickery that is the adaptive lighting. Miles different from the AL in my old 3 series, and I didn't realise, because my salesman was clueless really. If he had told me what they did, I would have went for them without question.

Electric memory would have been essential (and will be in future) because myself and my wife have VASTLY different seating positions. And that would have made it much easier for both of us. Surround view would have just be a bit trick to be fair. I'm quite happy with the reverse camera. But can't help but think that the surround view might have made it easier for the wife getting into our garage. It's tight.

Caporegime
Does the LCI do all the fancy full beam stuff like shining each side of an oncoming vehicle?

Higher pre-LCI adaptive lighting I could live without, it just follows corners from what I can see.

Man of Honour
Does the LCI do all the fancy full beam stuff like shining each side of an oncoming vehicle?

Higher pre-LCI adaptive lighting I could live without, it just follows corners from what I can see.

Yes it does - the upgraded light package on both LCI and pre LCI includes Adpative lights with 'Variable Beam Control'. You should have High Beam Assistance as well which automatically controls the high beam. It's activated on the stalk under the BC button.

What happened with the LCI is they swapped Halogen for Xenon bulbs in the regular offering and Xenon for LED in the upgraded package. It's otherwise the same.

Which means you end up with that crappy opaque indicator cluster with regular bulbs in it if you order an LCI without a light package. Nice one BMW :rolleyes: I don't know why they insist on doing that. Just dates the light cluster, opaque bits are so 1990's :p

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
I never understand why cars are fitted with keyless go but not full Keyless.

My SL is full keyless and that system is fantastic, as the key stays firmly in your bag or pocket etc, and never needs to come out, for anything. You lock the car by pressing a small button on the handle, and it auto unlocks when you put your hand on the handle.

My RR isnt keyless at all, completely normal fob and normal ignition barrel. Not as good as being full keyless but it works just fine.

The half way system leads to the stupid situation you have, i dont get it :(

Man of Honour
Plus the other pain...

Both my E39 keys are on the factory battery - 13 years old.

The F10 keys need new batteries every few years.

Progress innit,

Jez

Jez

Caporegime
Same as mine, my RR with an old normal fob will never die, my SL gets new batteries every 6 months as the keyless totally hammers them. :p

Soldato
[TW]Fox;26494193 said:
Yes it does - the upgraded light package on both LCI and pre LCI includes Adpative lights with 'Variable Beam Control'. You should have High Beam Assistance as well which automatically controls the high beam. It's activated on the stalk under the BC button.

What happened with the LCI is they swapped Halogen for Xenon bulbs in the regular offering and Xenon for LED in the upgraded package. It's otherwise the same.

Which means you end up with that crappy opaque indicator cluster with regular bulbs in it if you order an LCI without a light package. Nice one BMW :rolleyes: I don't know why they insist on doing that. Just dates the light cluster, opaque bits are so 1990's :p

I was under the impression that pre LCI 5's didn't have the "matrix-beam" style adaptive. I know they have the old "seeing round corner" function, but thought the new tech was stolen from the 7 series for the LCI.

Man of Honour
According to my owners manual, the Adaptive Headlight function includes:

a) Cornering Lights
b) Variable Light Distribution based on speed

No idea whether thats what you mean or not?

Permabanned
So a sensibly specced M135i hatchback 3door works out to £18,000 over 3 years via personal lease @ 20k per year mileage.

How much do you think a £40k M135i hatch 3door would lose in £ over 3 years for depreciation at 20k per year? Ie 3 year old 60k mile M135i, with pro nav, HK audio, basically everything?

[TW]Fox;26494306 said:
Plus the other pain...

Both my E39 keys are on the factory battery - 13 years old.

The F10 keys need new batteries every few years.

Progress innit,
Suprised they don't put a small calculator sized solar panel inside the keyfob somewhere.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Comfort access and keyless go combined is brilliant.

Currently looking at M550ds to replace my dad's 535i GT.
They don't half hold their value well..
Also looking at F10 535is but there are like 5 LCIs in all of Europe :(

Permabanned
Fox, what is the difference between 535i luxury and m-sport?

If you had to spec a new one what options would you choose and what options would you not bother with? I notice a 535i m-sport is only £455 a month to lease.

Man of Honour

The main difference is that the Luxury gets Nappa Leather and Pro Nav, the M sport swaps both of these for a bodykit, sport seats etc.

If you had to spec a new one what options would you choose and what options would you not bother with? I notice a 535i m-sport is only £455 a month to lease.

I would spec Professional Navigation, Visibility Pack, Fineline Anthracite Wood, 19 inch wheels, M Sport Suspension Deletion and Sports Automatic Transmission.

Everything else you need is fitted as standard.

Permabanned
M-Sport suspension deletion...why? Would you not choose VDC or Adaptive, and if not, why? Suspension is so confusing on these.

Man of Honour
M-Sport suspension deletion...why?

It's an Exec saloon not a sports car. The M Sport suspension is not the perfect blend of waft/sport that the E39 was, it's too firm. And the SE suspension feels more like the Sport suspension did in an E39. So it's my preferred choice.

Would you not choose VDC or Adaptive, and if not, why? Suspension is so confusing on these.

Might pick VDC, dunno.

Soldato
[TW]Fox;26495202 said:
Oh right, it works exactly like it does in that video but it turns high beam off rather than splits it.

Yeah, same as my old 335d. Just turns it off. Splitting beams is a game changer though, and EXACTLY what I would have paid good money for had I known about it. Unfortunately, I thought it would be the same as the 3, or your one.

Comfort access and keyless go combined is brilliant.

Currently looking at M550ds to replace my dad's 535i GT.
They don't half hold their value well..
Also looking at F10 535is but there are like 5 LCIs in all of Europe :(

Didn't think they did the M550d in UK? Otherwise I would have probably went for one of them.

Spec I would choose is Pro Nav, Adaptive LED's (xenons work too, and the adaptive xenons are half the price of the LED's if your not worried), Sports Auto (is an absolute must), Multi Function Display, and Msport Plus (tints, 19's and HK audio). The rest is up to you, but I'd probably go Comfort Access, Folding mirrors and memory seats.

Back
Top Bottom