BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Apparently it used to stick but it definitely doesn't now. It even says on the setting it will change back on next start.

For now I've set a shortcut to the menu where I change it.

Soldato
Apparently it used to stick but it definitely doesn't now. It even says on the setting it will change back on next start.

For now I've set a shortcut to the menu where I change it.

Yeah it tells you it'll be reactivated on next restart, I take it you all indicate when pulling back left after overtaking on b roads as my journeys tend to use a lot of long straight ones with people ambling about at 30-40 mph on NSL roads.

Soldato
Yeah it tells you it'll be reactivated on next restart, I take it you all indicate when pulling back left after overtaking on b roads as my journeys tend to use a lot of long straight ones with people ambling about at 30-40 mph on NSL roads.
Now you mention it like that, I'm not actually sure what you're supposed to do in that situation.

Soldato
This is where the Lane departure stuff annoys me. I never indicate to go back left after an overtake like you describe (there’s no need). That seems to upset the system.

Soldato
Picked up a used 330d at the weekend for the commute, took ages to find one with a decent spec. Has most of the options I wanted apart from ACC; Adaptive chassis, full leather, adaptive headlights, pro nav, surround view, heads up, HK audio etc.

It's got 160kms on it.. a bit on the higher side but fully serviced (inc gearbox) and has a 3yr aftermarket warranty. Purchased for about 12k your money.

Got back from Auckland to Wellington on half a tank which is pretty spectacular, I wasn't driving slowly either.

It's a great car but no where near as comfortable as a 20yr old E39. It has the odd rattle too over some roads, and the road noise on some surfaces is LOUD.. Maybe I expected too much or should have got the F10. It might be a testament to how good the E39 was though. Overall pretty please with it for the money.

20201214-073724.jpg

20201214-073744.jpg

20201214-072719.jpg

20201213-210433.jpg

Man of Honour
Wow, I thought cars were insane money in NZ but £12k for that is really good. It's a great spec too and a great engine/gearbox convo.

Would I be right in saying thats a model year 2013 car?

Whilst I quickly learnt that only thing that can satisfy after an E39 is another 5 Series, you do have runflat 19 inch tyres which will absolutely ruin the ride. With a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 you'll improve both the ride and reduce the noise you're finding annoying.

Soldato
Wow, I thought cars were insane money in NZ but £12k for that is really good. It's a great spec too and a great engine/gearbox convo.

Would I be right in saying thats a model year 2013 car?

Whilst I quickly learnt that only thing that can satisfy after an E39 is another 5 Series, you do have runflat 19 inch tyres which will absolutely ruin the ride. With a set of Michelin Pilot Sport 4 you'll improve both the ride and reduce the noise you're finding annoying.

It would be a lot more in Australia, Kiwis still seem reluctant to buy into the Euros as there's a stigma with high servicing costs. The Aussies have fully embraced it though and their prices are much higher in the second hand market (you probably know they have luxury tax on new cars too).

You're right it's a 2013 so an early one? The ride is generally good in comfort but over rough unsealed roads it's just not great (in Sport+ it's horrible). Will replacing those tyres help out? That's how irritating it is. The gearbox is magic, didn't expect this. You've probably realised I bought this unseen and undriven (from Auckland BMW who were superb).

Man of Honour
It's not quite the earliest as it has the later NBT IDrive system (The first ones had CIC) but it doesn't have the touch pad control so that narrows it down to an MY13 :D

(You're not missing much, I never use the touch control as it's fairly pointless).

Yes, I think replacing the tyres will help you. It's never going to ride like a limo on 19 inch wheels but those Potenza RFT tyres are about as bad as it gets for ride quality. Don't expect a night and day transformation but something decent like some Pilot Sport 4's will take the edge off it both in terms of noise and harshness.

It's never going to be good on unsealed roads, mind!!

Soldato
Cheers, I'll go for PS4s when I replace them then.

Is there anything else I should be doing to it? Someone mentioned there's an easy Android Auto retrofit but I wouldn't want to lose any of the HUD.

Man of Honour
HUD isn't connected to the head unit.

Of course it is, much of its functionality is provided by the head unit. It'll not stop working obviously as the speed info isn't provided by the HUD but it isn't true to say it isn't connected because it very much is.

As a system it all works very well together so I'd see little reason to start upgrading to eBay stuff.

Commissario
Question please guys before I contact the dealer, start/stop is no longer engaging on my M340i - not sure if it's because it's too cold or what, but it's been happening for quite a few weeks.
Haven't got round to checking the voltage from the battery yet but is there anything else I should check before reaching out to the dealer?

In b4 "you should code it out anyway" :p

Commissario
Battery level. Aircon. Outside temperature. Many things stop it working
Thanks, was aware of most of those but it's not worked for weeks.

Just took it out for a few miles, outside temp was 9c and I didn't have any heated seats etc on to try and minimise output, but it still didn't engage. Guess I need to check the battery output.

Associate
Thanks, was aware of most of those but it's not worked for weeks.

Just took it out for a few miles, outside temp was 9c and I didn't have any heated seats etc on to try and minimise output, but it still didn't engage. Guess I need to check the battery output.

It'll be battery level. Hook it up to a trickle charge and see if it engages quickly again.

Commissario
How often do you use the car? The other day it took a good 60 miles for it to begin working again on the Mini.
Few times a week, we just did a long weekend to Bath and back and at the end of the journey yesterday coming to a set of lights it didn't engage - would've expected it to after ~2 hours.

Back
Top Bottom