BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Fox, Can you shed any light on this camera issue that is holding up new M5's and now it also looks like its affecting new M3's

My stock sale car should have been available within 2 weeks. Its now getting on for 5 and the dealer is hopeful he'll have better news in the next few weeks.
It makes you feel any better, I was speaking to a neighbour who just bought a new F-Pace. I noticed the plates were Coventry (i.e. factory) registered. As suspected, he worked for JLR - he said that to keep the line moving, they are literally unfitting components from cars in the lot, to fit them on the line, rinse repeat - to keep the cars coming.

He reckons this is why dealers are lost as to progress, as technically their car is "built and tested/QA passed" but in reality, it has been scavenged for bits. Think sticky note on the dashboard explaining what bits have been removed...and an IOU to refit it later.

Soldato
Seeing cars that are already in the country. Listed as available on BMW new stock locator, But there is a "Campaign hold" on releasing them... I think in the US there was an issue with the rear camera being slightly obscured but BMW seem tight lipped on this. Obviously BMW cant sell a brand new car with a known fault, and that seems to be the hold up. Cars already sold should be getting a recall notice in due course...

They are building cars without certain components and holding them at delivery centers for the parts to arrive. My i3 has been sat at the port for over a month waiting for the harmon/kardon amplifier to arrive and be fitted.

I believe they are also shipping some cars with no cameras installed which may be what is holding your car up?

mjt

mjt

Soldato
They are building cars without certain components and holding them at delivery centers for the parts to arrive. My i3 has been sat at the port for over a month waiting for the harmon/kardon amplifier to arrive and be fitted.

I believe they are also shipping some cars with no cameras installed which may be what is holding your car up?
When did you order the car? HK audio hasn’t been available for the best part of 6 months I believe.

Could they not just deliver the car and have the amp fitted at a later date?

Soldato
When did you order the car? HK audio hasn’t been available for the best part of 6 months I believe.

Could they not just deliver the car and have the amp fitted at a later date?

April, they pulled the option for the US market a couple of weeks later so I was thinking I'd got lucky but I wish they'd just deleted it and delivered the car on time!

I wouldn't want to take delivery of a car with no audio system even if they wanted to...

mjt

mjt

Soldato
April, they pulled the option for the US market a couple of weeks later so I was thinking I'd got lucky but I wish they'd just deleted it and delivered the car on time!

I wouldn't want to take delivery of a car with no audio system even if they wanted to...
Ah that sucks! BMW should have told their US dealer network earlier. Also yes, just realised it would come with no audio rather than the standard amp. Derp

Soldato
If you want to get pedantic the Mini hatch was first, given it's just a longer version of that platform. But either way, the Countryman and the X1 are essentially the Mini/BMW entry level SUV. There are no major non styling related differences.

It certainly isn't a 5 Series or a 3 Series - it's FWD without the ZF gearboxes for a start :D
Sorry I meant wiki told me 1/2 series, but my initial guess was that it was based on a 3 series. Should probably proof read my posts better:p. He's a tight banker though so runs it in the eco mode (with no ac on:eek:) then was surprised it was gutless:cry: (not that they have a massive amount of power after that initial electrical surge).

Soldato
Reverse camera on my car has started getting water in it, didn't realize how little i can see out of the back of the car without it. Thankfully BMW are replacing the camera this week as looking online they're not cheap to replace.
I've also noticed that my stop start never kicks in, tried the car in eco thinking it maybe that but never kicks in. Has anyone noticed much difference in fuel consumption when it is working? Not that it will make to much difference as it's thirsty anyways. According to the idrive i get about 23mpg although i did around 800 miles mostly on a motorway and got nearly 40mpg. Shows how the type of driving really effects it.

When the car was service a bit ago (May) they mentioned it needs a couple of tyres for it's next service, around £300 a tyre from BMW for like for like which i didn't think was astronomical.

Cars a 328i GT.

Soldato
This is almost certainly related to your battery charge level. It's the single biggest influence on whether start stop works or not.

Thanks, i'll mention it to BMW when i nip in on Weds, could be my issue as i only tend to nip out in the car. Maybe do 250 miles a month on average so might not get proper charge time.

Soldato
As will setting the climate too high or low, I've known many to do this and have no start/stop. I also always use a trickle charger, conditioner, for both our cars if they're not used for a few days as the start stop batteries like exercising...

Last edited:
Soldato
Reverse camera on my car has started getting water in it, didn't realize how little i can see out of the back of the car without it. Thankfully BMW are replacing the camera this week as looking online they're not cheap to replace.
I've also noticed that my stop start never kicks in, tried the car in eco thinking it maybe that but never kicks in. Has anyone noticed much difference in fuel consumption when it is working? Not that it will make to much difference as it's thirsty anyways. According to the idrive i get about 23mpg although i did around 800 miles mostly on a motorway and got nearly 40mpg. Shows how the type of driving really effects it.

When the car was service a bit ago (May) they mentioned it needs a couple of tyres for it's next service, around £300 a tyre from BMW for like for like which i didn't think was astronomical.

Cars a 328i GT.
What size tyre? Have you looked on blackcircles or Camskill?

Soldato

Cars a 328i GT.
Do you have a dash cam? This has prevented stop start from working on some of my previous cars.

Soldato
cross post from show us your motors thread

After c. 10 years of living in apartments and not being able to wash my own car unless I went to a parents etc, today I was able to wash my f36 430i at my own house for the first time !

Pressure washer with snow foam lance etc arrives next week so it was a basic hose + 2 bucket rinse shampoo rinse sealant job:

i2I3hXW.jpg

Comes up alright!

ucZOOkH.jpg
7l8ZCjQ.jpg
NUnMRs8.jpg
S2spmp3.jpg
My e92 lurking in the background

ycVLwaM.jpg

PO0WlQB.jpg

I was worried the gravel would bog up from the water (after using my in-law's drive which basically became swimming pool after washing!), but it was absolutely fine.

Xpo3g4I.jpg

Well, the Mineral Grey LCI 430i GC with 15k miles has gone to WBAC, to make way for something QUITE different! WBAC were offering really strong money (infact, i got £200 more than my dad bought this car for at 6 months old and it's now nearly 3 years old). This was over a grand more than the dealer could get to on part ex.

I loved the 430i GC, the form factor is really fantastic, and a quick sit inside an m4 competition ruled them out (my fiancée is rather vertically challenged, and the single-piece seats in the m4 comp are completely the wrong shape to the point she can't sit even slightly normally!), so I kept my eye out for something else.

I then saw a bizarrely cheap AUC car come up that was actually below trade price for some reason, I managed to get my deposit down within a few minutes of it going on the site. All the history stacks up, and the condition is really fantastic.

So, I present - a mineral grey, LCI 440i with 15k miles. It cost me under £1200 to change, which is a ridiculous bargain, in my view, especially given the better spec and getting some more warranty too!

2018, 15k miles, I'm the second owner. M plus pack with ferric grey 704m (my 430 was orbit grey so they were darker), dynamic pack (active suspension and variable sports steering), oyster interior, harmon kardon, digital cockpit, HUD, high beam assist memory seats etc:

t1JBkOQ.jpg

slxGprY.jpg

5BG5MyC.jpg

XTmPX6L.jpg

wna8Rpr.jpg

JbEfF7e.jpg

yXtmM97.jpg

jQHm7Jd.jpg

The engine is absolutely amazing (to me), and it is SO much quicker than the paper 0.8 to 60 difference would imply. The digital cockpit and HUD make a huge difference too, feels far more modern, and the oyster interior is really lovely. The car is in extremely good condition, too!

Next step, MPPSK to take it to >360bhp and give it a bit more of an interesting exhaust note :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Ferric Grey looks superb on those wheels and I think that's the colour I'm going to go with on the M5 wheels now I've seen that!
Agreed ! Wasn't sure from other photos on the internet (to the point I even asked the dealer if I could swap wheels over for my orbit grey ones if I part exed) but IRL they're great! I think they look really good :)

Last edited:
Soldato
What size tyre? Have you looked on blackcircles or Camskill?
I had a look on black circles around the time they told me I needed them. Tbh they were not much different In price. Can't remember the size of the top of my head, 19s 255 and back and something like 235 at front I think.
Will check out cams kill

Soldato
they're likely 255/35/19 rears and 225/40/19 fronts (that's the "normal" bmw 19" size). If you don't mind losing the "protection" of runflats, look at getting some Michelin pilot sport 4s (they're the same price as the non-S so no harm!), they're hugely better tyres than any RFT, are cheaper, have less road noise and are more compliant. just need to carry a foam repair kit/pump in the boot :) These are ~£150-160 a tyre fitted.

Back
Top Bottom