BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Noticed a very wet patch on the drive under the middle of the car (e92) this afternoon when returning from a short drive to the shops. Caught some in a pot and it is definitely water which would suggest AC condensation and nothing to worry about.

Snip

So MOT today, passed but noted a coolant leak. Chap said it was smoking too. Huge trail of water/coolant to where the car was parked. Coolant light came on during the 1 mile drive home.

Removed part of the air in-take to follow the trail of the leak, upper right side as it was hitting the radiator fan and then getting sent all over the engine. Found what looks to be a fairly big crack just to the corner of the BMW sticker...

Car's on 105,000 miles and has the Mondial extended warranty, Emergency Service on their way, is this likely to be covered or am I going to have a fight on my hands?

39uTK6gl.jpg

DoHbjwkl.jpg

Soldato
So MOT today, passed but noted a coolant leak. Chap said it was smoking too. Huge trail of water/coolant to where the car was parked. Coolant light came on during the 1 mile drive home.

Removed part of the air in-take to follow the trail of the leak, upper right side as it was hitting the radiator fan and then getting sent all over the engine. Found what looks to be a fairly big crack just to the corner of the BMW sticker...

Car's on 105,000 miles and has the Mondial extended warranty, Emergency Service on their way, is this likely to be covered or am I going to have a fight on my hands?

39uTK6gl.jpg

DoHbjwkl.jpg
No crazy temps while you were driving i hope? No idea on warranty exclusions but best of luck!

Soldato
No crazy temps while you were driving i hope? No idea on warranty exclusions but best of luck!

Only oil shown on the dash. Smoking slightly when I pulled on to the drive (5 mins from the test centre). Coolant dripping off the engine cover and rear of bumper.

The hoses seem fine, googling at the moment because I'm 90% certain the hole at the top shouldn't be there based on what I've seen so far. Lots of people with stone chips/cracks not covered under warranty but based on its position and not being a perishable or wear & tear item I'm hopeful it's covered.

The radiator doesn't seem to be expensive itself but the labour involved would be I expect.

My Indy is literally half a mile up the road if it's not covered but will see what BMW ES say when they attend, if it's not covered I'll limp it to the Indy but if it is they can recover and repair at their own leisure.

Soldato
Only oil shown on the dash. Smoking slightly when I pulled on to the drive (5 mins from the test centre). Coolant dripping off the engine cover and rear of bumper.

The hoses seem fine, googling at the moment because I'm 90% certain the hole at the top shouldn't be there based on what I've seen so far. Lots of people with stone chips/cracks not covered under warranty but based on its position and not being a perishable or wear & tear item I'm hopeful it's covered.

The radiator doesn't seem to be expensive itself but the labour involved would be I expect.

My Indy is literally half a mile up the road if it's not covered but will see what BMW ES say when they attend, if it's not covered I'll limp it to the Indy but if it is they can recover and repair at their own leisure.

Doubt the breakdown guy will be able to tell you about the warranty. It will need to be recovered to a dealer, diagnosed and then you will get an answer.

I'd be impressed if that is covered. Would be very hard to argue that just happened by itself.

Soldato
A pressure test quickly showed the hose attached to the oil cooler was squirting coolant toward the front of the engine bay, the small hole at the top of the radiator is nothing.

The hose hadn't split or perished but rather the plastic coupling has cracked/split/sheared.

He'll be back Monday, charge should be parts which is likely to be less than the excess on warranty anyway or not much more.

0iCV1Snl.jpg

H9kphdol.jpg

xWwVl3ll.jpg

Soldato
A pressure test quickly showed the hose attached to the oil cooler was squirting coolant toward the front of the engine bay, the small hole at the top of the radiator is nothing.

The hose hadn't split or perished but rather the plastic coupling has cracked/split/sheared.

He'll be back Monday, charge should be parts which is likely to be less than the excess on warranty anyway or not much more.

0iCV1Snl.jpg

H9kphdol.jpg

xWwVl3ll.jpg
Could be the angle, But that fitting looks melted at the none cracked side.

Soldato
oil isnt it ?
If there had been any recent maintenance in that vicinity I'd wonder if something had been wedged/levered behind the connector/union inititiating the break.
(diy - but was trying to squeeze a CPS connector through a gap without disconecting/bleeding power steering hoze recently)

Soldato
Could be the angle, But that fitting looks melted at the none cracked side.

I think it might just be wet. The fitting itself was in good shape, still secure by the fastening clip. But seems to have perished precisely around where the jubilee clip was secured.

oil isnt it ?
If there had been any recent maintenance in that vicinity I'd wonder if something had been wedged/levered behind the connector/union inititiating the break.
(diy - but was trying to squeeze a CPS connector through a gap without disconecting/bleeding power steering hoze recently)

Last bit of maintenance to the engine was a year or so ago, most likely an oil change. It's been to my Indy since but for rear pads a few months back.

In 2015/2016 the thermostat/waterpump were changed under warranty, hoses and couplings I expect to still be originals from 2010.

Last edited:
Soldato
I think it might just be wet. The fitting itself was in good shape, still secure by the fastening clip. But seems to have perished precisely around where the jubilee clip was secured.

Last bit of maintenance to the engine was a year or so ago, most likely an oil change. It's been to my Indy since but for rear pads a few months back.

In 2015/2016 the thermostat/waterpump were changed under warranty, hoses and couplings I expect to still be originals from 2010.
Probably vibration then and the clip cut through.

Soldato
as you say , sounds too long ago to be a side effect - saw some brittle plastic comments here on front joint/bar you originally suspected.

Thanks for highlighting that, I’ll pick one up and see if he’s happy to fit. Failing that my Indy can replace it in a few weeks time.

Probably vibration then and the clip cut through.

Seems the most likely cause. The smaller section which had cracked and broken off has discoloured and turned brown with white marbling. Oddly though the rest of the coupling is still jet black and fine so possibly just repeated heat & vibration from the jubilee clip.

Driveway repair saves recovery to the stealers and the associated faff that comes with it!

Last edited:

Soldato
BMW warranty question

520d has just turned 3 yr old and had an offer from BMW for extended warranty

75k ok the clock and bmw quote is £97 a month for fully comprehensive or £105 a month with breakdown

now

is the warranty worth paying £1200 a year for if I’m
Doing 30/40k a year

Do
I have to stick to bmw servicing ?

Also need a set of 275/35/19 tyres for the rear

I have a compressor and gunk on order should I just replace like for like with
Bridgestone T005s or something else?

budget say £200 a corner

Soldato
BMW warranty question

5 has just turned 3 yr old and had an offer from BMW for extended warranty

75k ok the clock and bmw quote is £97 a month for fully comprehensive

now

Doing 30/40k a year

Do

Soldato
BMW warranty question

5 has just turned 3 yr old and had an offer from BMW for extended warranty

75k ok the clock and bmw quote is £97 a month for fully comprehensive

now

Doing 30/40k a year

Do
If I'm not mistaken after 100,000 miles they will no longer offer fully comp warranty, only driveline, so your level of cover will be forcibly reduced after your first year. The warranty is an insurance product...only you can judge your attitude to risk and therefore the value of the warranty to you.

You don't have to stick to BMW servicing, but you do have to use genuine (or equivalent) parts.

Soldato
If I'm not mistaken after 100,000 miles they will no longer offer fully comp warranty, only driveline, so your level of cover will be forcibly reduced after your first year. The warranty is an insurance product...only you can judge your attitude to risk and therefore the value of the warranty to you.

You don't have to stick to BMW servicing, but you do have to use genuine (or equivalent) parts.

if you pay monthly the warranty stays the same as when you bought it indefinitely. Few small bits change like wear and tear stops over 100k, but for example BMW just replaced a wheel speed sensor on my old e92 on 112k without quibbling

Caporegime
Car is finally going in today to diagnose (not really much diagnostics to do, the REM is fubar) what's wrong with my 440i.

Expecting this to be somewhere between a £1500 and £2000 bill. Hope the extended warranty covers it!

Soldato
My other half's father has a 330d from 2016, and since he got the car, he's been having some issues with the GPS location.

He didn't notice it, unfortunately, until after the warranty had expired (6 month on a second hand), since he seldom uses it. It was only when he came to drive to us that he noticed the problem.

I've offered to try and resolve the problem.

The issue

When opening the map/starting navigation, the location is displayed incorrectly. It is approximately 50 miles north east of his actual location.

It has displayed the correct position a couple of times.

When initiating the navigation to a location, the route calculates from the (incorrect) location, and kind if glitches out as he drives, frequently telling him to turn left/right/around etc

Info and spec

I've got the VIN for the vehicle, so if anyone needs part of it, I can provide it.

It's a 2016 (16 plate) 330d with pro nav (wide screen).

Potential fixes

I know that you can set your current location on ID6 - I will see if I can do this on his car.

I've also heard some ID systems use built in internet access to help with the location. There’s a module called ATM - how could I test this?

Lastly, I have heard there's a hidden menu where you can check the GPS lock - how do I do this?

Map Updates

One last thing - how can I update his maps? I've seen you can download them online, is this illegal?

Back
Top Bottom