BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Had some (extended) warranty work done today without any hassle at all. To my surprise the dealer in question didn't give me an itemised 'invoice' as they have done in the past, showing parts & labours costs - then settled with the excess payment. Instead I received only the 'cash sale invoice' for my excess with no added detail relating to the the claim, parts used or work done.

I pressed for this a bit though the rep serving me suggested it was probably best to contact BMW Warranty directly. The Warranty Claims team have since told me the claim between the dealer and them is confidential (due to reduced labour costs and preferential parts prices etc) and that I can request it again and they should give me something but costs may be obscured etc.

I find this a little odd, my primary aim is to have something to evidence if/when I sell the vehicle and my secondary purpose is to see the overall cost and continue to asses the value the extended warranty provides.

I have the details of the After Sales and Service Managers and I don't doubt they'll be forthcoming now I've more formally requested it with genuine reasoning.

Has anyone here recently experienced similar or are you still receiving a 'full breakdown' so to speak?

Soldato
I find this a little odd, my primary aim is to have something to evidence if/when I sell the vehicle and my secondary purpose is to see the overall cost and continue to asses the value the extended warranty provides.
do the repairs notionally have a 6month warranty that could extend independantly beyond the life of the extended warranty.

Soldato
Same always just been a receipt for the excess. Last time I had warranty work I asked what it would have cost if I was paying and they used a calculator to work it out from watching him type they give the warranty company a 45% discount.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Same always just been a receipt for the excess. Last time I had warranty work I asked what it would have cost if I was paying and they used a calculator to work it out from watching him type they give the warranty company a 45% discount.

I've always asked for a quote for what it would cost if the warranty didn't pay out for any reason. They've always given me that in the past without issue but I've always asked before the work has commenced and it has been something they could do quickly from their computer system so the details must already be there for the warranty claim.

Soldato
I've always asked for a quote for what it would cost if the warranty didn't pay out for any reason. They've always given me that in the past without issue but I've always asked before the work has commenced and it has been something they could do quickly from their computer system so the details must already be there for the warranty claim.
^ This is the right way to go about asking the question.

The robot behind the till will get bogged down in detail that is uninteresting (sharing preferential pricing, different SKUs specific to warranty provider, etc, etc).

Soldato
Got a dilemma. Been offered a good price (for current prices) on a 520i touring and mega equity on our 320d so if we change monthly payments go down but we start a new agreement (can go a year shorter) on a similarly aged car but with very low miles.

Finance aside as a 5 series is what we want our next step to be anyway, which would you do:

Keep 2018 320d m sport (31k miles) not many options, white with dakota leather interior

Trade for 2018 520i SE (14k miles) has comfort seats but not sure if this is standard, space grey with oyster interior

Looks wise the 320 is better but I'd get the 520 windows tinted. Use wise it's mainly commute, town and up and down the m6/m40 to see family.

Interested in people's thoughts?

Soldato
Got a dilemma. Been offered a good price (for current prices) on a 520i touring and mega equity on our 320d so if we change monthly payments go down but we start a new agreement (can go a year shorter) on a similarly aged car but with very low miles.

Finance aside as a 5 series is what we want our next step to be anyway, which would you do:

Keep 2018 320d m sport (31k miles) not many options, white with dakota leather interior

Trade for 2018 520i SE (14k miles) has comfort seats but not sure if this is standard, space grey with oyster interior

Looks wise the 320 is better but I'd get the 520 windows tinted. Use wise it's mainly commute, town and up and down the m6/m40 to see family.

Interested in people's thoughts?
Keep the 320d...why give away the mega equity you have in it for almost zero equity in a (probably too expensive, let's be honest) 520i of the same age?

Man of Honour
There is a massive difference between these two cars which I think may complicate this decision. On paper, Havana is right, why bother. But...

The 3 Series is an F30. This is a car thats been around for 10 years now and wasn't particularly brilliant even when it was current. By contrast, the 5 Series is a G31 - the current generation 5 Series which is a considerably better car than the old 3 Series in almost every way imaginable. It will feel like a major upgrade and like a far newer car even though, in reality, it is the same age as the 3 Series.

You've presumably been offered a good deal because it's a 520i SE, which is about the least desirable 5 Series in the range.

I'm not sure how to advise because my view is tainted by the fact I really don't like the F30 3 Series and would therefore do almost anything to get out of one and into something else - especially if something else is a 5 Series.

Soldato
There is a massive difference between these two cars which I think may complicate this decision. On paper, Havana is right, why bother. But...

The 3 Series is an F30. This is a car thats been around for 10 years now and wasn't particularly brilliant even when it was current. By contrast, the 5 Series is a G31 - the current generation 5 Series which is a considerably better car than the old 3 Series in almost every way imaginable. It will feel like a major upgrade and like a far newer car even though, in reality, it is the same age as the 3 Series.

You've presumably been offered a good deal because it's a 520i SE, which is about the least desirable 5 Series in the range.

I'm not sure how to advise because my view is tainted by the fact I really don't like the F30 3 Series and would therefore do almost anything to get out of one and into something else - especially if something else is a 5 Series.

Appreciate the input from you both.

Yes we have the F31 and actually really like it, but equally liked the G30 520. It's such a difficult decision because its on paper both good and bad financially - good figures, bad getting new agreement and higher cost. The SE is lovely but the M sport (520) is much nicer, but moves the cost up enough that we don't want to do it at the moment.

We don't want to go G31 320d and the 330d/340i is a bit over budget. It's either swap now to the G30 5 touring or wait a year and see if we're in a financially better position (possible, not that it's currently bad at all) etc. Don't know, it feels like swapping great for great.

Man of Honour
We don't want to go G31 320d

Can I ask why? It is probably one of the most impressive (in context, of course, that doesn't mean it better than an M5 :D) cars I've driven. It's really very good indeed and likely to be significantly more fuel efficient than a 520i.

Soldato
Can I ask why? It is probably one of the most impressive (in context, of course, that doesn't mean it better than an M5 :D) cars I've driven. It's really very good indeed and likely to be significantly more fuel efficient than a 520i.
Lol yeah, it's because we have a perfectly good F31 320d :D - my wife wouldn't understand at all!

Soldato
It's almost like a completely different car, its so much better.
Maybe will test drive one. We said no to the SE based on looks and not being dead set on it but there's a 520d M sport with m sport suspension delete and nicer interior trim that is also in stock so may consider this. It's the same miles as ours but a pre reg 18 plate so money will have to be right. Reckon this would be much better than the SE?

Man of Honour
It'll drive the same with M Sport suspension delete so whether it's 'much better' comes down to subjective things as almost all of the rest of the differences are cosmetic.

Soldato
It'll drive the same with M Sport suspension delete so whether it's 'much better' comes down to subjective things as almost all of the rest of the differences are cosmetic.
So it's mainly the cosmetics that were putting us off the SE and cosmetically the other one is 'much better' :). I guess the question is does the desirability of the m sport make it a better proposition.

Out of curiosity (and you've probably covered it here before so sorry if I have missed it) what do you hate about the F30/31 and what makes the G30/31 better?

Man of Honour
What I dislike about the F30 is the interior. It's always annoyed me - it's just poor. It feels like a big 1 Series (the dash is VERY similar to that found in the F20 1 Series) and never felt to me like a premium car inside. The G30 is far nicer, it's better made, it looks better and generally just feels a lot more upmarket. So to does the new G20 3 Series - it's back to being a small executive car.

I don't think either the E90 or the F30 3 Series represent the best of what BMW can do from an overall perspective. The F30 drives well - very well - but if thats all that mattered you'd probably not be buying a 3 Series.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
What I dislike about the F30 is the interior. It's always annoyed me - it's just poor. It feels like a big 1 Series (the dash is VERY similar to that found in the F20 1 Series) and never felt to me like a premium car inside. The G30 is far nicer, it's better made, it looks better and generally just feels a lot more upmarket. So to does the new G20 3 Series - it's back to being a small executive car.

I don't think either the E90 or the F30 3 Series represent the best of what BMW can do from an overall perspective. The F30 drives well - very well - but if thats all that mattered you'd probably not be buying a 3 Series.
I was given a 418i loaner the other day. Granted, it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding and I only went a grand total of 9km in it, but the interior wasn't THAT bad. The G is leagues ahead, but the F isn't the quite the travesty you're making it out to be.
It is a big 1 as opposed to a small 5, I'll give you that, but it's hardly a Lada Riva.

Caporegime
I was given a 418i loaner the other day. Granted, it couldn't pull the skin off a rice pudding and I only went a grand total of 9km in it, but the interior wasn't THAT bad. The G is leagues ahead, but the F isn't the quite the travesty you're making it out to be.
It is a big 1 as opposed to a small 5, I'll give you that, but it's hardly a Lada Riva.
My 2015 428i feels great compared to my previous 2012 Mk.3 Focus Zetec S.

Back
Top Bottom