BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
I have started to look at 2016 onwards M240i, 440i or 440i GC as potential upgrade from my GT86 next year - need something a bit more comfy for long distances, practical and as fun to drive. 440i is probably the favourite based on reviews/specs alone. Aiming to go have a look in person next week at a local BMW dealership.

On AT, there are some £22.5-25k; I will probably wait if they get closer to £20k, if that ever happens in 2022.

Is there a list of add-on packages online I can read up on to know what's available on these models?

M-Sport comes with the Widescreen nav as standard. You want the widescreen nav. HUD is nice but some don't have it. I'm perfectly happy with my standard audio, mainly play Spotify from my phone via Bluetooth (which weirdly sometimes decides not to play) or DAB. others will say it's awful and you simply must have H&K. YMMV. Most other niceties, heated seats memory seats, climate control etc comes as standard AFAIK. I came from a 62 plate Focus Zetec S so my 2015 428i GC M Sport feels super luxurious!

Soldato
Damn, looks like the electric coolant pump on my 2.5 N52 engined Z4 is on the way out. Temp gauge needle began to fluctuate up and down this afternoon on a short run out so immediately drove carefully back home. Plugged my Carly OBD in and it is showing '002E81 - Coolant pump/speed deviation' :(

Looks like a trip to the local BMW indy is on the cards in the next couple of weeks. At least its not Spring/top down weather yet so not so bad :cool:

Man of Honour
M240i, 440i or 440i GC
most M240i cars are base spec PCP with zero extras, on that alone probably better to go 440i...GC tends to be reasonably well specced (i own one)

If 25k is your budget, and you want comfy + practical, the new 330i? They are already at £27k.
Depends how badly you want a 350hp straight six.
agree, if you can live without the b58, then the new 3 series is a massive step up in interior design/comfort

Soldato
Plugged my Carly OBD in and it is showing '002E81 - Coolant pump/speed deviation
they are electric - wow thought from a reliability point they would forever be on a belt off of the engine -
electrically assisted power steering is/was controversial enough.

Soldato
they are electric - wow thought from a reliability point they would forever be on a belt off of the engine -
electrically assisted power steering is/was controversial enough.

M54 engine was driven off the serpentine belt system, they changed it to electric for the N52 - apparently they thought it was an improvement and reduced 'parasitic drag' as it was electrically powered. With the electric coolant pumps its usually the PCB that gives up the ghost and just stops communicating with the rest of the cars management system, sometimes the impellers can fail but its usually the PCB side of things to blame. When that happens, there's no option but to replace it with a new one.

Thankfully on the Z4 the access isn't as bad as other BMW's with the N52 but its still an expensive fix - £300 ish for the pump and a few hours labour at an indy so looking at around £500. Needs must though!!

Soldato
OK -
yes I'm familiar with the M where I 'd changed plastic to metal impellor as preventative maintainance whilst changing bloated expansion tank / radiator -
32mm facom fan spanner remains the biggest/most-expensive in my collection - thread there
had the head gasket done, by garage, a year or so later.

OG

OG

Associate
Has anyone had any experience of extended warranties on new cars from dealers? About to put a deposit down on a used 530d from Listers and they can offer an additional 3 years comprehensive warranty (no excess, mot cover, breakdown) for just over 2 grand.

I obviously have no idea what the renewal price would be with bmw but reading between the lines of how much a new quote is on the bmw warranty site it seems a fairly reasonable price. I'm just waiting for the full details to come through from the dealer but they made it very clear all dealerships in the UK would honour it.

Cheers

Man of Honour
Difficult to say much without knowing more about who the policy is underwritten by and who the warranty provider is, but at 2k it isn't much cheaper than 3 years worth of the BMW backed warranty policy.

Remember there is a significant difference between a new quote on the BMW website and a renewal quote.

Personally the only warranty that would interest me on a BMW is the BMW backed product.

OG

OG

Associate
Difficult to say much without knowing more about who the policy is underwritten by and who the warranty provider is, but at 2k it isn't much cheaper than 3 years worth of the BMW backed warranty policy.

Remember there is a significant difference between a new quote on the BMW website and a renewal quote.

Personally the only warranty that would interest me on a BMW is the BMW backed product.

Thanks as always Fox, looks like it's provided by 'Car Care Plan' which is not the same as the BMW warranty as the dealer was trying to explain. Any idea roughly how much a renewal is on the bmw warranty considering a new quote comes in at £1247 for the year :eek:

Man of Honour
It's about £840 or so for £100 excess, I've never bothered with zero excess.

This was last year, obviously it can could vary in the future.

Important question - what is the age and mileage of the car now?

OG

OG

Associate
It's about £840 or so for £100 excess, I've never bothered with zero excess.

This was last year, obviously it can could vary in the future.

Important question - what is the age and mileage of the car now?

Registered Jan 2018, 26k miles

Caporegime
Sounds like the dealer get a bigger kick back from ‘Car Care Plan’ than they would from the official BMW one. I’d be asking for full T’s & C’s as I bet the list of exclusions is long and detailed.

Soldato
Sounds like the dealer get a bigger kick back from ‘Car Care Plan’ than they would from the official BMW one. I’d be asking for full T’s & C’s as I bet the list of exclusions is long and detailed.

Not sounds like. Definitely will have. They wouldn't get any money when you renew the BMW warranty in a year's time.

Also I like how they say all dealerships will honour it. It's not a dealership that honours a warranty. A dealership will do any work as long as they are paid properly by any warranty provider.

Soldato
Has anyone had any experience of extended warranties on new cars from dealers? About to put a deposit down on a used 530d from Listers and they can offer an additional 3 years comprehensive warranty (no excess, mot cover, breakdown) for just over 2 grand.

I obviously have no idea what the renewal price would be with bmw but reading between the lines of how much a new quote is on the bmw warranty site it seems a fairly reasonable price. I'm just waiting for the full details to come through from the dealer but they made it very clear all dealerships in the UK would honour it.

Cheers
Don't all approved used cars come with 1 year BMW warranty anyway?

So effectively you're paying 2k for the 2nd and 3rd years as th first year is already covered. Which feels like a very bad deal to me as that's probably going to end up more than the standard BMW one.

Soldato
Don't all approved used cars come with 1 year BMW warranty anyway?

So effectively you're paying 2k for the 2nd and 3rd years as th first year is already covered. Which feels like a very bad deal to me as that's probably going to end up more than the standard BMW one.
Yeah you get 1 year with the car.

I’ve looked at the BMW warranty on the 4 series I bought last week, it’s coming out at £61 a month but there’s no need yet until next Jan.

Man of Honour
Yeah you get 1 year with the car.
I’ve looked at the BMW warranty on the 4 series I bought last week, it’s coming out at £61 a month but there’s no need yet until next Jan.

just paid for mine last week (440i GC)
£339 for the year with the £250 excess option, without roadside assistance

Back
Top Bottom