BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
Hey guys, looking at getting new rears on the F80.

Currently running MPS4S on a 275 35 19. Should I stick or twist to MPSS on a slightly wider tyre as some on the interwebs have?

We get less than 10 days of rain a year with the majority of the time spent in sweltering heat so tyres that can last are a big plus!
Maybe go with MPSS, they are great with some heat in them but not so great in the UK weather hence most people here switch to MP4S. From what I've read, in ideal conditions the BMW star MPSS is a better tyre.

I really want to put MP4S on mine, however the dealer but a set of 4 new MPSS on just before I bought it so it seems a waste, although I could store them.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
In the warm and dry MPSS is the better tyre - it has more outright grip and has stiffer sidewalls so steering feel and turn-in is better. In every other way, the PS4S is better. The * marked PS4S is even better again as it has a BMW-specific setup and compound although still has softer sidewalls etc.
You could run Cup2 all year round there though, more than hot/dry enough!

Soldato
Having run MPSS through a winter and struggling with really poor traction (RWD Alpina D3BT) I haven’t used them again, especially after switching to PS4S.

Luckily my M5 came with PS4S and I think they are still fabulous, especially for use throughout the year.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Having run MPSS through a winter and struggling with really poor traction (RWD Alpina D3BT) I haven’t used them again, especially after switching to PS4S.

Luckily my M5 came with PS4S and I think they are still fabulous, especially for use throughout the year.

I have been lucky enough to run both MPSS and PS4S on my M3 and M2 and ran PS4S on the M5. In the UK then I would definitely agree that on average the PS4S is the best tyre for us for year-round use. skaif is in the Middle East so has a much better climate where things like rain aren't as much of a concern most of the time :)

Soldato
I have been lucky enough to run both MPSS and PS4S on my M3 and M2 and ran PS4S on the M5. In the UK then I would definitely agree that on average the PS4S is the best tyre for us for year-round use. skaif is in the Middle East so has a much better climate where things like rain aren't as much of a concern most of the time :)

Ah yes of course, I forgot he was in ME. I think I blocked it out when he told us about the ‘extortionate’ petrol costs over there ;)

Totally, that would be MPSS all the way then.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
PS4S replaced MPSS no?

It did, but it isn't an across-the-board improvement. Markedly better in damp/wet/cold conditions but at the expense of outright dry grip. The sidewall was also softened for ride quality reasons and you can definitely feel it.

There's more than one version of PS4S though, the BMW OE * marked version is a very different tyre to the generic aftermarket PS4S.

Soldato
Haha thanks guys, will do some further reading into the OE * marked version of the PS4S versus the MPSS.

I am actually in the UK until the weekend so will see if I can grab a pair of rears and take them back with me!

e-
Is blackcircles still the go to place to get tyres delivered?

Soldato
Haha thanks guys, will do some further reading into the OE * marked version of the PS4S versus the MPSS.

I am actually in the UK until the weekend so will see if I can grab a pair of rears and take them back with me!

e-
Is blackcircles still the go to place to get tyres delivered?
I find camskill are often very good on price

Man of Honour
I remember my 911 came with a new set of Potenzas, was sad :(
That's not on is it!

I will leave the tyres on and run them out. Joking aside there is little point swapping them out so will work hard to wear them out quickly.

All set for 1:30pm collection. I did consider delivery and the price was ok for a trailered delivery but the timescales were end of next week so getting a life to Southport to collect it tomorrow.

Man of Honour
Yay 5 series bro's (Fox will be upset but tough)

Also if your one is better than my one, I will have to post pictures of my Merc to feel my ePeen is undamaged.

Back
Top Bottom