BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
Then post the results here because it'll list a load of standard stuff too so it isn't clear what is and isn't optional.

I place a disproportionate amount of weight on the ICON LED headlights on a G30, they perform well and complete the look of the car. The standard lights look quite a bit worse and STILL have the thing I hate the most about my F10 - halogen indicator bulbs. Like those on a Mk3 Fiesta. The G30 front looks almost F10 like without the better lights, IMO.

One of the pleasant things I discovered on the F01 LCI, the xenons have proper LED indicators!

Soldato
It doesn't overheat my phone (Iphone 12 pro) but it doesnt charge it very quickly either. You aren't missing much.

My iPhone 11 doesn’t overheat either and that’s with a case fitted.

I see Housey you have a CD player! Pretty sure mine doesn’t have that, I’ll need to go check :D

On the apps front, I had the 3D Remote View app when I got the car, but it expired in December. I quite liked it so I tried to purchase a renewal package several times via the ConnectedDrive website, but it kept refusing to take my cash. I logged a ticket with support and a few weeks later they came back, apologised for being rubbish and extended all my Connected services (3D View, Real time traffic info, BMW Online, Intelligent voice assistance, Onstreet parking and Map updates) for 12 months free. Nice.

Soldato
Apparently the BMW one is crap as it overheats iPhones. Also not currently available to order from new (unless it's changed in the last 12 months), so not sure where you'd source the part..
That's down to the phone as my Samsung one doesn't. Yes they are all slow regardless of the manufacturer but good for an emergency if you have a very low battery which will then still enable you to still use the phone..

Man of Honour
Such a good car, I forgot how good they were as an all rounder.

Drove it hard tonight, brakes fade quite quickly (left food braking) and front takes a bit of work to get it point right when really pushing on, but the 4WD is of immense value in current conditions and if you drive it smoothly you really can make some serious progress. Tested over my test island/roundabout (insert local term), much better damping, car was much more sorted over the road dent from hell.

Really is a massively well built car, going to enjoy driving it and so quiet. Spent 20 minutes working out if the HK is better with the DSP mode on or off, concluded off....I mean on.....I mean off.....need more time to decide. It was easy in the GTR, off, but better in this one so needs some more listening.

Its overtaking power is really rather good and I can't think why in 95% of conditions you would need more. It's nice to have more, but in terms of need it will slice past cars with aplomb and pulls like a pulling machine.

Still not a huge fan of sports seats, comfort are better, but I am also spoiled by my GTR seats which are the best I have ever sat in. BMW really know what it's doing when it comes to executive saloons, it even sounds OK.

Soldato
Wireless charger on the x3m, 840i and now the 420i has worked perfectly on my iPhone 11 Pro and 12 pro max. Charges the phone quite happily and with wireless CarPlay helps you too keep the phone fully charged. Did a 7 hour drive with my phone on the charger and other than being a bit warm at the end was happy for the whole journey.

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
Housey. Try my standard HK DSP trick. Set the volume to be loud-ish but not so loud your ears hurt. Go into the settings, turn off Logic 7, set the basic tone controls all to the middle. Then go into the EQ and starting from the low frequency end, leave the first slider in the middle then as you go up the frequency bands increase each by one click more than the last ie the second slider will be one click, third two clicks etc. Play a song and adjust up the basic bass tone control until the low end and mid end sound balanced for your kind of music. If you feel the top end is a little too harsh, flatten off the high frequencies one click at a time.

I’ve had at least 6 HK-equipped BMWs from a Z4 to an M5 and this approach has worked wonders for me in all of them. Done it for a few mates and that too and they generally agree, perhaps with a few tweaks for their music taste and sound taste but it’s a decent place to start.

Edited to add that unless the latest cars have sorted this out, USB connected phone audio is *leagues* better than Bluetooth audio. Even if you let the car Spotify app do it’s thing it is better to be plugged in than not. No idea why, probably because BT compression is bad.

Man of Honour
Housey. Try my standard HK DSP trick. Set the volume to be loud-ish but not so loud your ears hurt. Go into the settings, turn off Logic 7, set the basic tone controls all to the middle. Then go into the EQ and starting from the low frequency end, leave the first slider in the middle then as you go up the frequency bands increase each by one click more than the last ie the second slider will be one click, third two clicks etc. Play a song and adjust up the basic bass tone control until the low end and mid end sound balanced for your kind of music. If you feel the top end is a little too harsh, flatten off the high frequencies one click at a time.

I’ve had at least 6 HK-equipped BMWs from a Z4 to an M5 and this approach has worked wonders for me in all of them. Done it for a few mates and that too and they generally agree, perhaps with a few tweaks for their music taste and sound taste but it’s a decent place to start.

Edited to add that unless the latest cars have sorted this out, USB connected phone audio is *leagues* better than Bluetooth audio. Even if you let the car Spotify app do it’s thing it is better to be plugged in than not. No idea why, probably because BT compression is bad.
I will have a play and cable audio in my Merc is MILES and I mean MILES better than BT.

Soldato
Man of Honour
The sound on my Merc is so thin on Bluetooth. It has no weight to it, lacks detail and stage and just sounds poor considering it’s on a Burmeister upgraded system.

Plug it in via a cable and boom, all that comes in and it’s miles better.

Soldato
The sound on my Merc is so thin on Bluetooth. It has no weight to it, lacks detail and stage and just sounds poor considering it’s on a Burmeister upgraded system.

Plug it in via a cable and boom, all that comes in and it’s miles better.

Same on my G30, Bluetooth sounds feeble. AFAIK there isn't a way to use cable either.

Soldato
USB port under arm rest?
There are 2 USB ports, I use them for charging because the wireless is hopeless. I have never seen an option to play audio over USB. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though. After all it did take me well over a year before figuring out how to adjust the top half of the seat lol.

mjt

mjt

Soldato
There are 2 USB ports, I use them for charging because the wireless is hopeless. I have never seen an option to play audio over USB. I'd be happy to be proved wrong though. After all it did take me well over a year before figuring out how to adjust the top half of the seat lol.
Took me 2 years to discover I can turn of the ACC and just use it as regular cruise :o

My iPhone is plugged into the USB beneath the arm rest in my i3 and it's used as media too (Spotify). Pretty sure it's through there and not BT, because they are 2 separate connections. Never used CarPlay

Back
Top Bottom