BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato

mjt

mjt

Soldato
Just look at both the cars Jon has posted - a 520d and a 530d.

The 520d has Climate Control, but the 530d (Well, any F10 that isn't a 520d actually) has Climate Control With Extended Features. Only the 'Extended Features' are those you'd expect to have normally rather than anything particularly special.

Over the regular Climate Control, the Extended Features adds a solar load sensor, a fogging sensor and the ability for driver and passenger to have different blower speed settings. The latter is nice to have, but the former is a basic component of most climate control systems...
Oh, that basic thing. I assumed the extended one was standard, or came in some pack that everyone bought. Gross.

Soldato
https://www.autoexpress.co.uk/bmw/357232/bmw-police-car-engine-problem-does-not-affect-consumers

Work have just parked up all their vehicles and sourced some brand new 71 plate ones.

It's all well and good BMW saying that consumers aren't effected but these vehicles are serviced every few thousand miles, looked after by the cops driving them and aren't driven hard for 24hrs per day.

Has anyone had any issues similar with their cars?

It’s probably the big end engine bearings going it does affect privately owned cars normally past 100k along with the timing chains.

Caporegime
It’s probably the big end engine bearings going it does affect privately owned cars normally past 100k along with the timing chains.

Not sure on that. Our local police force have said that no BMW can be used in high speed chases due to the large number of them catching fire! Not sure big engine bearings and timing chains would lead to fires??

Soldato
Soldato
Tracker with geofencing or safemode. Notifies you if moved. Then you can call the police. Even better they do one with a proximity tag that you can leave away form your keys. You'll get a call if the car starts and the fob isn't there

Caporegime
yes - maybe fox read it as the word with , but it's implicit in thatcham1,
so I was wondering about some device like a ghost, or whether it implied something after market - (e:installed) for what reason

e2: had recently read an article about most stolen vehcles too
https://www.edinburghlive.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/most-frequently-stolen-cars-uk-22634729

Could be BMW supplied when new. I ticked the box for the BMW Trackstar S5 when I ordered my x5. Insurance requirement unfortunately.

Soldato
Jean being weird is all.

Contacted the dealer and he says it doesn't have a full service history with only 3 services listed.

This isn't something I've looked up properly but it should have one quite early on then every 20k miles?

Man of Honour
The service schedule for the F10 is variable. Servicing will take place with an oil service every 15-22k miles depending on the cars usage. There is a time limit of 24 months, so it's whichever happens first - mileage countdown or time.

Every second oil service is a major service with fuel and air filters as well. Every 37k or so is a vehicle check (Which is basically all the inspection elements from the old style servicing system). Brake fluid is 3 years old and then every 2 years.

You'd need to look at the service history of the car - it's on iDrive - to work out whether the history for this one is complete. It is in theory possible for a 2015 car to have had 3 services since it was new if the vehicle check and brake fluid elements had lined up and were done at the same time as the regular servicing.

Soldato
I've asked for photos of the service menu showing what has been done.

The MOT history shows

March '15 - December '17 it did 31,000
February '19 +15,000
February '20 +11,500
January '21 +9,500
January '22 +11,500

Looks like it may have sat for sale until it got an MOT for a new buyer between '18-'19

I'd still say going by the condition of the car it has been looked after and I tend to keep a car for a long time so it potentially won't matter if it is then a 12+ year old car with 140,000+ miles on it.

Back
Top Bottom