BMW and M Power Owners

Man of Honour
My VW locks it if you just forget to lock it and walk away.

That's really nice but it isn't an M140i so am not sure how that helps :p

The standard BMW behaviour when that box is ticked is that it locks the car if it is unlocked without any further subsequent interaction over about 2 minutes.

Soldato
That's really nice but it isn't an M140i so am not sure how that helps :p

The standard BMW behaviour when that box is ticked is that it locks the car if it is unlocked without any further subsequent interaction over about 2 minutes.
A Ford fiesta does the same, even my 1993 mondeo did and I think this is a common setup with vehicles for, possibly, decades. Why you'd want the ability to turn that off I don't know...

Man of Honour
My 1999 Mondeo didn't do it. I'm not actually sure my 2001 5 Series did it either.

I can see why you might want to turn it off, I think the numbers of times I've unlocked my car and then forgot to go out in it is probably lower than the number of times I've unlocked it to wash it, left the keys indoors and found it locked by the time I got to the point I wanted to open the door :D

Soldato
I'm glad I didnt actually install the xtrons head unit, as it comes to light it only supports car play and android auto and not included, by the time you buy the extra dongle its closer to the newer qualcomm 6gb 128gb version so have packed it back up and have now ordered the new model, it was a nice unit all the same but really want carplay

This is the new unit

7'' BMW Octa Core Android Car DVD with Integrated 4G Solution (IQ7046B) | Xtrons

Soldato
I'm glad I didnt actually install the xtrons head unit, as it comes to light it only supports car play and android auto and not included, by the time you buy the extra dongle its closer to the newer qualcomm 6gb 128gb version so have packed it back up and have now ordered the new model, it was a nice unit all the same but really want carplay

This is the new unit

7'' BMW Octa Core Android Car DVD with Integrated 4G Solution (IQ7046B) | Xtrons
That's tidy. Double-din standard fitting really was the best way to future proof cars wasn't it!

Soldato
yes - unless you have cd's mechless is better./more up to date.

was there import duty on the one you are sending back and the new one (noting original's sellers address was hk) - expensive returning it - no ?

Soldato
yes - unless you have cd's mechless is better./more up to date.

was there import duty on the one you are sending back and the new one (noting original's sellers address was hk) - expensive returning it - no ?
Nope they must have a uk distribution centre as it came from Leeds and that’s where it’s going back to, cost me about £3 to send back using Hermes through Amazon but I can handle that

Soldato
The new headunit came today, and i've got it connected up and eventually got it working, the problem with the apple car play is I suspect that due to a lot of electrical goods from china they are not quite legit..... I couldn't get my phone to connect to car play which it uses some third party software to connect to it, turns out I have to connect to headunit with Bluetooth, then connect to the cars hotspot then it connects to car play and works as it should, the downside of this is it disconnects from my iphones hotspot as it disables wifi on the head unit, not quite sure how its getting the data to stream music etc? (could it be using BT as a data connection) Its not perfect in execution but at least i've got it working. I don't have an android phone to test how that works but presume its a lot more straight forward being wired also. Now the task of running the extension lead from the boot to the dash..................

Not as easy as I thought :)

1l9FGYK.jpg

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi folks.

So I have a question for any of you who have purchased brand new BMW’s in the last few years, specifically rear wheel drive variants of the 3 and 5 series.

I am having a symptom which I have now noticed in two brand new BMW’s.

Essentially, once the engine is warm, whenever I come to a stop, there is a definite smell of transmission fluid coming through the air vents.

Now I have the same issue on both a 2019 3 series and now a 2021 5 series.

I borrowed a new M440 from the dealership and noticed this also had the same smell in the same circumstances.

Anyone else ever had this and is it something that fades following use? I didn’t keep my 3 for very long as I part exed it. I find the smell unpleasant and the dealer doesn’t seem interested.

It’s not something I would expect from a premium brand car, but I’m happy to live with it if it will fade in time.

I had my 3 for just over a year and it hadn’t faded by the time I part exed it.

Soldato
I don't have an android phone to test how that works but presume its a lot more straight forward being wired also. Now the task of running the extension lead from the boot to the dash..................
didn't see the photo last night - bit cold for outside car work with plastic fragility to boot - but, other than samsung phone, or wired(as you say) V

https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidAuto/comments/o8zuzh/simultaneous_aa_wireless_and_phones_hotspot/
Is it possible to simultaneously connect via AA wireless dongle AND use my phone's hotspot so a tablet can connect to it?
Edit running pixel 4a 5g and AAwireless
SOLVED! AAwireless runs on 5ghz wifi band. on the pixel4a 5g you can congifure your hotspot to either 5ghz or 2.4ghz. i changed it from 5 to 2.4 and it works!!!

not sure whether (in future?) with e-sims we could use a cars superior ariel, for 4g reception&hot-spot, partaking of personal phones data package - rather than car manufacturer lock in.

Back
Top Bottom