BMW and M Power Owners

Associate
So me and the other half are looking to replace our leased Cupra early next year so getting ideas of cars in place now to keep an eye on the market. From the BMW stable, originally we liked the look of the 4GC in 440i guise, but after finding out split folding seats are a standard on the G20 3 series, I've been looking more at the M340i for something both more appealing and newer... And then the Mrs suggests an F80 M3 comp and I'm torn again.

So what would motors do? Fully aware the M3 running costs will be significantly higher, but it also feels like it'll be the sort of car that isn't viable in the future (kids etc down the road) so why not just do it now. Assume the resale will hold value a bit better too.

Soldato
So me and the other half are looking to replace our leased Cupra early next year so getting ideas of cars in place now to keep an eye on the market. From the BMW stable, originally we liked the look of the 4GC in 440i guise, but after finding out split folding seats are a standard on the G20 3 series, I've been looking more at the M340i for something both more appealing and newer... And then the Mrs suggests an F80 M3 comp and I'm torn again.

So what would motors do? Fully aware the M3 running costs will be significantly higher, but it also feels like it'll be the sort of car that isn't viable in the future (kids etc down the road) so why not just do it now. Assume the resale will hold value a bit better too.

Personally it would be a G20 M340i every day of the week.

The platform is much newer and is an upgrade in every way over the F30

Of course, it’s not an M3, but it’s a better car IMO.

However, if you just want an M3, nothing I say will sway your decision - just get an M3.

Man of Honour
Fully aware the M3 running costs will be significantly higher,

I know I am in the minority but I cannot see that either the additional running costs nor the quite significant step downwards in interior are worth it.

It's not like the almost 400bhp M340i is lacking in, well, anything really is it?

Soldato

I would normally say M3 given it will hold it's value MUCH better than the 340i/440i, however these are not normal times and the prices being demanded for even poor examples seem exhorbitant right now...depending on how quickly the market corrects it could end up depreciating relatively quickly. On the other hand the latest G20 3 series is brand new and a big jump in quality and technology (and weight) over the F series, but even as good as the new M340i is, it's NOT an M3.

In summary: if you want an M3, buy an M3.

Soldato
I know I am in the minority but I cannot see that either the additional running costs nor the quite significant step downwards in interior are worth it.

It's not like the almost 400bhp M340i is lacking in, well, anything really is it?
This is entirely true, but it's not an M3. No one should buy one thinking it's going to be like an M3.

That doesn't detract from it being an excellent car with a wonderful powertrain.

Caporegime

Peak power is not the full story of a M car versus a none M.

I dont even think the running costs are massively more?

Soldato
Handling and genuine sportyness?

In my (arguably) limited experience - people can’t feel much more than the difference between comfort mode and sport mode in a car.

I highly doubt most will have the experience of driving properly to recognise the difference between things like:

“The car turns into a corner better”
“Better front axle grip”
“Limited slip diff”
“Smooth power delivery”

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying YOU can’t tell the difference, but OP has to consider:

Does he want a nice new BMW with excellent cornering traction, regardless of weather, new platform (and all the benefits that brings) and potent straight line speed

Or

Does he want the 1-3% extra you get with a proper M car, like the better steering feel (debatable given it’s an older gen), turn in, brake feel, power delivery, “specialness” etc

If it was a call between an F30 340i and an F80 M3, the answer would be very simple.

But we’re talking about a car which is a number of years newer. A whole generation newer.

And the F80 M3 isn’t that good of an M3 in the first place (or the F30 platform in general), relative to other variants, which only exaggerates the difference.

Man of Honour
Current 3 series is a far better car than the previous one. Having said that, M3 is far more of an event if that’s important to you due to more that BHP. Drive both and make your decision as it’s a subjective.

New car will have better everything bar event. Outside of that it’s down to you.

Soldato
As has been said already, if you want an M3, you buy an M3. If you were originally considering A.N.Other BMW, buy the M340i as it's closer to your expectations and will fullfil your requirements better.

Soldato
If you are talking about buying new -
2022 C class is just starting to have road reviews , if internal appointment/luxury are as important as handling then maybe it fits the bill, 4w steering compris.

Man of Honour
What?

Just starting? It's been out for ages, but even so it has very little to offer an M3 or M340i buyer - the biggest engine offered is a 2 litre 4 cylinder!

Man of Honour
keep-up -the g20 he discussed maybe new , also new C's are only just being delivered

The G20 he discussed is a 380bhp 3 litre.

The largest engine offered in the new C Class is a 250bhp 2 litre... they are not even on the same page. There is no equivalent model in the C Class range and currently nothing that would interest anyone after either an M340i or an M3 Competition.

Man of Honour
The G20 he discussed is a 380bhp 3 litre.

The largest engine offered in the new C Class is a 250bhp 2 litre... they are not even on the same page. There is no equivalent model in the C Class range and currently nothing that would interest anyone after either an M340i or an M3 Competition.
It has more LED options and that’s important too to Mr Joneseses

Soldato
Yeah, because that’s all an M car is over the range topping petrol.

Fundamentally, that’s what the (realative) difference is on paper.

They’re typically numerous minor tweaks which add up to an overall more enhanced package (other than power maybe).

Sometimes those differences make for a car which one finds more enjoyable for what one wants, sometimes not.

These differences are exaggerated on a track, but on the public road? Not so much.

The range topping petrols are so good that it becomes more of an emotional purchase decision rather than logical. Nothing wrong with that - at all. That emotion might be what you’re after, or it might not.

Back
Top Bottom