BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Which BMW and BMW M cars have you owned to come to that conclusion?

Oh you have to own something to know the differences?

For the record, I haven’t owned an M car, but many family members have.

Hence, I would say I have had more experience than most in:

E46
328i
330i
M3

E92
330i
M3

F3X
340i
M4
(I own a 320d and so I’m most familiar with the F30 platform)

F10
535d
M5 Competition

All of which have been owned by 2 different people, so they’ve got a reasonable amount of experience moving from a top of the range petrol (diesel in the case of the F10) to an M.

Completely different suspension components and engine iirc? As well as lots of other bits fiddled with.

It’s relative. Yes, an F80 M3 has a completely different engine, but it’s still a 3L I6 with more horsepower than you need on the public road.

Just because something is different, though, it doesn’t mean you’ll notice it.

As I’ve mentioned, some of you will be able to notice the (at times) acute differences between cars.

But when we’re talking about two BMWs, an older M3 vs the newer G20 M40i, these differences, for most, will be subtle and mostly emotional - I.e. how does the car make you feel (through sound, suspension, steering).

The difference between an E92 335i and M3 was considerably more, given the completely difference engines.

Again, I’m not saying there isn’t a difference, but between the two cars in question, it’s likely minimal for the OP, unless they’re specifically looking for the greater emotional connection a proper M car will provide.

Soldato

Just because something is different, though, it doesn’t mean you’ll notice it.

...these differences, for most, will be subtle and mostly emotional - I.e. how does the car make you feel (through sound, suspension, steering).

The more you keep trying to make your point, the deeper the hole you are digging for yourself in the 'I don't really get M cars' garden :D

Man of Honour
The ousts are starting to make very little sense to me. :cry:

If OP wants a family car to do family things that is used regularly, get an M340i.

if OP is a petrol head and it’ll be a weekend/rarely used car then get the M.

OP has already made their kind up anyway, anyone who wants an M will buy one.

1-3% difference is completely laughable though.

Associate
What did I start here? :p

So the reasons for looking at these 2 cars is they're a similar cost to buy (looking at around 37-40k approved used models) currently, of course this may well change by January when we're ready to drop the cash but regardless.

The M340i is no doubt a mega car for public roads, hence why I'm seriously considering it against a full fat M car. I'm also aware that it'd probably be the nicer car to drive in regular conditions in terms of creature comforts etc.

That being said, an M3 has always been a bit of an "achieveable dream" car I guess, because it's very unlikely I'll ever own something much more special realistically.

Reckon it'll be a case of driving both and seeing how they stack up. The Mrs is very keen on the M3 purely on looks :rolleyes:

Man of Honour
Get her a 2011 320d for 6k and then get an M340i as well then if it's just the looks she wants :D

As you can tell this is quite a controversial discussion.

There are some who think an M3 is some sort of 4 door Ferrari and there are others who think it's just a faster 320d. The reality is probably somewhere in the middle, but personally I do think there is quite a lot of hype around the 'full fat M cars'.

I've not driven an M3, but I have driven an M5. It was absolutely wonderful - I loved it. It remains my favourite car. But I'd struggle to justify how its that much more special than a 550i. It's better in every way, as you'd expect, but the way some people go on it's like they reckon its a totally different car. It's not.

But then we all drive differently, don't we. Perhaps if I spent all my time on a track I'd have a different view.

If your primary reason for the M3 is just 'looks' then I'd be even more cautious about bothering. That just isn't why you buy one.

Last edited:
Associate
If you've always wanted an M3 and the missus has signed it off, do it now. The G80 is extremely expensive so the chances of you getting into one of those for similar money are many years down the line and by then if you are neck deep in kids etc the same appeal may not be there. As long as you accept its the previous gen platform and are OK with that (which I presume you are, or you wouldn't be asking the question) then go for it.

For context, I had both these options available to me and went M340i. But I already have the kids and frankly a full M would be wasted on me, the M340i is more capable than I am and coming out of an F36 I would have struggled to sit in largely the same interior for another few years. If you want more background on the M340i then let me know and I'll do my best to answer any questions you may have.

Soldato
Honestly I turned traction control off once on my 335i to boot it up a slip road off a roundabout and nearly **** my pants. Can't imagine needing an M3 on the road, but that's just me :)

Man of Honour
I had 2 M3’s back in the day and they were a significant step up due to one of the finest NA engines ever made. I came from a 325/330 to an M3 and it was a different league due in the main to that engine but also set up, handling and performance.

I think this has been diluted since the turbos arrived and so the gap has closed. Really impressed with the current 3 series compared to the last one but an M3 is still a more special car if you value performance and event….and like your ego tickled (part of fast car ownership most deny).

But you kind of know you want an M3, it’s more of an aim than a “oh look for the same price I can get one” I think.

As said, go drive and decide yourself. These questions are subjective and only you will know what’s right after you drive them. Both options are superb so you can’t go wrong really.

Caporegime

For the record, I haven’t owned an M car, but many family members have.
E92
330i
M3

F3X
340i
M4
(I own a 320d and so I’m most familiar with the F30 platform)

F10
535d
M5 Competition
Well it helps driving them which kind of comes with ownership. Rather than just sat in a passenger seat or repeat what people say

Caporegime
Honestly I turned traction control off once on my 335i to boot it up a slip road off a roundabout and nearly **** my pants. Can't imagine needing an M3 on the road, but that's just me :)
The v8 would use its lovely linear power delivery and M diff and have zero issues with traction ;)

Soldato
The more you keep trying to make your point, the deeper the hole you are digging for yourself in the 'I don't really get M cars' garden :D

I totally get them, just trying to make the point that this gen of 3 series is fundamentally better than the last gen is every way, to the point where the typically clear cut decision of picking an M car over a top end petrol is, for the first time I can think of, very blurred :)

Soldato
I find myself with a very similar decision, f80/2 vs g20 m340i. My f36 440i GC is already running the same power pretty much as the m340i as I have the MPPSK kit, which makes at least headline performance make it feel like the m340i isn't a step up.

However, I guess the g20 m340i vs f80 m3 is slightly harder decision than previous non-M vs M in that it's an "m-light", IIRC they come with LSDs, variable sports steering, active m suspension etc as standard, and in terms of power with 380bhp and 4wd i'd wager that on UK roads the m340i would be as fast/faster in almost any legal situation than the f80 m3.

When the time comes I'll probably back-to-back them. Ideally i'd love a g80 m3, but it's a shame they will never make one with the g20 front end :(

DRZ

DRZ

Soldato
The gap is smaller in terms of lap times but not at all smaller in terms of engagement, feel, sense of occasion etc. Just because you can't measure that with a stopwatch doesn't mean that it isn't there or is irrelevant.

If you want "a fast car" then get the M340i. If you want "a drivers car" then you'll know that it has to be the M car. They are cut from different cloth.

Back
Top Bottom