BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
So, it turns out it does have the touchscreen. No wireless charger, as they said, but happy it's got the touchscreen. Plus, they haven't removed the discount. May give some hope to anyone else who are getting told of deletions.

And a picture:
EDA6-F517-99-BE-46-D7-BCD4-E8-D186-FC0890.jpg
Lucky you. I get mine next week and dealer has confirmed no deletions and has wireless charging, WAN and touchscreen despite being told a month ago that it wouldnt have a touchscreen so was getting £500 compensation. I asked about the compensation and was told that is no longer applicable and I wont be getting it anymore :(

Soldato
Hmm is it worth booking in with BMW to confirm this then so i can at least go back to the company that fitted the tyres if they are dead?

Given the Dealer investigation fee of £100-£120 it probably makes more sense to just ask the tyre fitters to fit new ones and provide replacements yourself.

You said it failed a few times, was it ever successful? Perhaps they've removed them completely?

Man of Honour
I've had both faulty TMPS valve stems and also some Neanderthal at BMW put the tyre fitting tool through the unit in the wheel once. The latter was rectified by BMW at their expense but it wasn't cheap! The valves are cheap though, I paid the "rip off" price of £12 per valve fitted at BMW on the M5.
I might just book mine in as I'm within the AUC year still.

Soldato
Given the Dealer investigation fee of £100-£120 it probably makes more sense to just ask the tyre fitters to fit new ones and provide replacements yourself.

You said it failed a few times, was it ever successful? Perhaps they've removed them completely?

Oh that much just to look? Ok i'll give Kwik-Fit a ring and see what they say.

It worked when I got the front tyres replaced a couple of months ago. This is the first time I've tried since and it failed on both attempts.

Soldato
Oh that much just to look? Ok i'll give Kwik-Fit a ring and see what they say.

Usually that's what their investigation fee is. To mitigate this you could just instruct them to do the work but at £100+ ex-VAT per hour it'll still cost you the same, well less overall :p But they'll probably still insist they investigate and pull your pants down.

It worked when I got the front tyres replaced a couple of months ago. This is the first time I've tried since and it failed on both attempts.

Different garage didn't you say?

Soldato
So I took it to Kwik Fit today and they said it was because it was set to Auto on the tyre settings, he then set it up using Custom and it calibrated ok. Now this does make sense, but, when i got the front 2 replaced in January, it was showing a tyre with 0 PSI, i did the reset option with Auto selected and it worked. I guess I still don't know if everything is 100%.

Caporegime
For years all I have heard is just how amazing idrive is in BMWs but so far to me, it seems a complete and utter mess with settings hidden away on sub menus where they dont seem to make sense to put them and trying to find the submenus takes forever and so far its trial and error plus combined with watching how to videos on youtube,

Conversely my old system in my VW Touareg which is always compared unfavourable to BMW in any review was dead easy. One big button which brought up a screen of icons and every setting for the car was then grouped in different icons. You could access thes button from any screen you were in and everything was in a logical place.

Is it just me that sees the BMW as a complete mess??????

I still haven't figured out how to connect to the wifi yet (will be watching yet another how to video tonight).

One question. Can you control the rear climate control from the front in 4 way climate control cars? I used to see the rear seat to cool to keep the dog happy while I had the front set a bet warmer for humans?

Man of Honour
I've used all the major systems from the 3 'premium' manufacturers. In my view..

The nicest overall system is the Mercedes Benz MBUX (In terms of look and feel and the level of features offered)
The easiest to use and most functionally useful is BMW iDrive (It just works, everything is logical and the various different features are well integrated. Plus the physical controller is far better than the touch screens)
The worst in terms of interface, menu and usability is Audi (Though the digital dashboard side of the Audi system was class leading for years until MBUX came along and even now despite looking a bit dated because of its fairly low resolution is still more useful than the BMW version, even if not as nice looking).

No real experience with the VW system but see little reason why it would differ that much from whatever the system in the current A6 is.

Never experienced the issues you have with iDrive - it just works, and all the settings are in a helpful menu called... settings? :D

I think wanting to run cooled seats in the rear and heated in the front is a fairly unusual requirement so you can't blame a manufacturer for not thinking of that one.

Man of Honour
After having an F10, F20 and now an F80, I only found out the other day that a long press on a number below the CD player saves the selected iDrive page to that number. Now I don't have to faff about to see my tyre pressures, quick press of 8 gets me there straight away.

Man of Honour
The newer iDrive isn’t as intuitive/nice to use as the older NBT version, but I’m sure it’s just a case of getting used to it.

Caporegime
After having an F10, F20 and now an F80, I only found out the other day that a long press on a number below the CD player saves the selected iDrive page to that number. Now I don't have to faff about to see my tyre pressures, quick press of 8 gets me there straight away.
radio stations too, and turn off the display etc

Caporegime
I've used all the major systems from the 3 'premium' manufacturers. In my view..

The nicest overall system is the Mercedes Benz MBUX (In terms of look and feel and the level of features offered)
The easiest to use and most functionally useful is BMW iDrive (It just works, everything is logical and the various different features are well integrated. Plus the physical controller is far better than the touch screens)
The worst in terms of interface, menu and usability is Audi (Though the digital dashboard side of the Audi system was class leading for years until MBUX came along and even now despite looking a bit dated because of its fairly low resolution is still more useful than the BMW version, even if not as nice looking).

No real experience with the VW system but see little reason why it would differ that much from whatever the system in the current A6 is.

Never experienced the issues you have with iDrive - it just works, and all the settings are in a helpful menu called... settings? :D

I think wanting to run cooled seats in the rear and heated in the front is a fairly unusual requirement so you can't blame a manufacturer for not thinking of that one.

Lol. The screen and touch repsonsiveness is second to none. The idrive puck is superb. And no, not every setting is in settings. In fact its very limited as to what is actually in settings :p

Not wanting to operate the hot/cold seats but to operate the air con so the rear is set for say 17C while I might be set at 20C in the front. I just cant see how I do it for the moment looking at the buttons on my climate control.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Is there a button on the center console for A/C Menu? You "may" be able to control it from there, it has the rear climate control settings etc.

20220311155728-64e8842f-me.jpg

Yeap got that. Brings up very few options.

I think I may have it sussed. If I set the drivers to cold, then sync it should set passenger and rear to the same and then switch off sync (may not be needed as it may just be a single press) and then set my drivers to what I want.

In the vw I just had a rear button and could set both sides of the rear from the front or again just sync all the same.

Back
Top Bottom