BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Try a M-DCT first. Very diff, I found the manual crap especially after coming from a S2000.

I see one on piston heads for same price I paid 5yrs ago with 15k miles more and 2010. Cheap motoring (ignoring the road tax)

I’ll see if there’s one local and give it a go :)

Edit: I’m not fussed about speed of gear changes or whether it’s a good manual particularly, I just want a manual as I drive an auto on a daily basis.

Looking for the engagement of changing the gear with a clutch rather than pulling a paddle.

Caporegime
I’ll see if there’s one local and give it a go :)

Edit: I’m not fussed about speed of gear changes or whether it’s a good manual particularly, I just want a manual as I drive an auto on a daily basis.

Looking for the engagement of changing the gear with a clutch rather than pulling a paddle.
What auto do you drive daily ? Remember a dual clutch isn’t a torque converter so it doesn’t drive like one

Caporegime
Yet the engine is derided in some circles for being gutless at low revs.
What did you think when you drove one ? I guess just regurgitating opinions?

It does need revving yes (just like most normally aspirated engines that rev over 8000rpm) which is another reason for the DCT being my preferred.

The M4 has loads of low down torque. So much so it often overpowers the tyres and doesn’t accelerate…. Sometimes it’s about more than numbers

Soldato
What auto do you drive daily ? Remember a dual clutch isn’t a torque converter so it doesn’t drive like one

Mine is a ZF8 but I’ve driven a few dual clutch autos (Merc, Porsche, VW, BMW) and as you say, they are good and different to a torque converter, but ultimately you aren’t physically changing gears.

It’s not the speed, ferocity or ease I’m looking for. I want a clutch. I want to heel and toe. I want to rev match on downshifts.

However, I will definitely take your advice on board and test drive one, as I’ve no experience comparing the ratios between the manual and auto. I may find the manual needs to be revved out so much that it’s not feasible to get the enjoyment I’m looking for, much like the newer Cayman GT4.

Associate
BMW repaired the wheel this week.

From this (the damage was just to the bottom right of the tyre valve):

i.php

Back to this:

i.php

Happy with how it was handled, it would have been nicer if no damage had been caused but they resolved it quickly and easily with and gave me this 420d for 2 days:

i.php

It had a decent spec and was nice enough to drive, and although the handles seem aesthetically pleasing in reality they were a bit rubbish to use.

Man of Honour
Far too expensive.(edit. Oh wow prices have moved) It’s old and not even a competition pack which has much better wheels and better EDC

Do you want manual? As this engine ia perfectly matched to the DCT
What I was told too.

Needs to be competition pack and EDC is suited to the car.

Do you plan to track it?

Soldato
What I was told too.

Needs to be competition pack and EDC is suited to the car.

Do you plan to track it?

No, it’s purely for fun daytime driving in the summer

I’ll have to look at whether the EDC makes much of a difference. Can’t say in my fathers Cayenne which has air suspension that it’s that transformational to the the driving/cruising experience. Sure, it’s better, but it’s not like going from halogen bulbs to a proper LED/Xenon setup

Depends how good the EDC is on the competition/how bad the m sport suspension is on the one I’m looking at.

Man of Honour
Just hit a pothole from hell, wrecked tyre and wheel. Not been a good week, shall chase council down tomorrow as pothole is well known apparently and people have been discussing it on Facebook! Not a good week for Housey cars.

Very annoyed with the world tonight.

Associate
Need some advice here.

Currently looking at an F10 M5. Wanting to move on from the A7 as I am bored of it.

The M5 I'm looking at is originally a UK car. I've been informed it's a Cat N Non structural damage car. The reason I'm being told it's a Cat N is because the engine was blown. It was brought into Ireland and engine replaced with all documents photos etc.

Does the cat N make sense to you UK guys? Usually it would be bumper/wings/headlights but haven't come across cat N due to a blown engine.

Soldato
Soldato
Need some advice here.

Currently looking at an F10 M5. Wanting to move on from the A7 as I am bored of it.

The M5 I'm looking at is originally a UK car. I've been informed it's a Cat N Non structural damage car. The reason I'm being told it's a Cat N is because the engine was blown. It was brought into Ireland and engine replaced with all documents photos etc.

Does the cat N make sense to you UK guys? Usually it would be bumper/wings/headlights but haven't come across cat N due to a blown engine.
Not sure whether a car would be written off due to engine. If it's wear and tear, insurance wouldn't cover the cost. If it was broken entirely in an accident, then yes it would be covered, but that insinuates accident damage to the body as well...

Soldato
Need some advice here.

Do you really need someone to tell you this? Stay away, lol.

Associate
Do you really need someone to tell you this? Stay away, lol.

Not what I asking I'm afraid. I've no issues buying a cat N car because usually it's just damage to things that can be replaced but are expensive af to do so.

Im just querying whether a car in the UK would be a cat N due to blown engine? Are you saying there has to be more to it than a blown engine?

Back
Top Bottom