BMW and M Power Owners

Caporegime
A replacement M5 engine prob a good part of the cars value. But I’m sure in U.K. you can’t claim on insurance. Is something different in Ireland ? But anyway sounds dodgy.

Soldato
Basically for it to be an insurance job the cause of the blown engine had to be something you could claim on insurance on... just trying to work out what could cause a blown engine but no other damage to the car, and be cause of an insurance claim :confused:
Could be from driving through deep water that the engine got borked? I would still want to know the full circumstances of the "accident"
one possible explanation

Caporegime
Not what I asking I'm afraid. I've no issues buying a cat N car because usually it's just damage to things that can be replaced but are expensive af to do so.

Im just querying whether a car in the UK would be a cat N due to blown engine? Are you saying there has to be more to it than a blown engine?
Is it a UK car? Paying for a vcheck might reveal some history. I paid for one when I was looking at a Cat N 435i GC, was written off due to flood damage complete with pictures on the vcheck website.

Associate
A replacement M5 engine prob a good part of the cars value. But I’m sure in U.K. you can’t claim on insurance. Is something different in Ireland ? But anyway sounds dodgy.

It was brought in from UK as a cat N year or 2 ago. Engine replaced here and now it's being sold. Seller is up front with everything as hes the one who done it all etc. Folder full documents and photos regarding engine replacement. I just want to find out whether that's the reason it was cat n or is there more to it. New engine from BMW is around 18k to 22k apparently.

Could be from driving through deep water that the engine got borked? I would still want to know the full circumstances of the "accident"

Yeah I was thinking along those lines too. As it's a UK car is there anywhere you'd recommend I do a check with the old reg and maybe that would shed some light on it.

Caporegime
It was brought in from UK as a cat N year or 2 ago. Engine replaced here and now it's being sold. Seller is up front with everything as hes the one who done it all etc. Folder full documents and photos regarding engine replacement. I just want to find out whether that's the reason it was cat n or is there more to it. New engine from BMW is around 18k to 22k apparently.

Yeah I was thinking along those lines too. As it's a UK car is there anywhere you'd recommend I do a check with the old reg and maybe that would shed some light on it.
https://www.vcheck.uk/

Associate
Report done
Is it a UK car? Paying for a vcheck might reveal some history. I paid for one when I was looking at a Cat N 435i GC, was written off due to flood damage complete with pictures on the vcheck website.

I done the check earlier it didn't reveal anything I didn't already know. Cat N non structural.

I also have 5 page independent engineer's report of the car which states everything checks out. No damage or sign of repair anywhere etc. Engine has been replaced to a high standard. Car drives and performs as it should and so on.

I'll have a 12 month warranty on the car, I also plan on doing the rod bearings myself for peace of mind. That's if I do get it.

Is there anywhere I can contact in the UK with the reg to ask why was this car cat N?

Caporegime
Report done

I done the check earlier it didn't reveal anything I didn't already know. Cat N non structural.

I also have 5 page independent engineer's report of the car which states everything checks out. No damage or sign of repair anywhere etc. Engine has been replaced to a high standard. Car drives and performs as it should and so on.

I'll have a 12 month warranty on the car, I also plan on doing the rod bearings myself for peace of mind. That's if I do get it.

Is there anywhere I can contact in the UK with the reg to ask why was this car cat N?
Not that I know of unless you can find out who the insurance company were and they might give you some information but I doubt it.

Soldato
What's with the weird phenomenon of new BMW cars looking disgusting when you first see them and then gradually looking quite good? Had it with the new BMW M3/M4 and now the same has happened with the new M240i. I thought I looked a mess when I first saw pictures, but now I've seen it quite a few times it looks good to me! Odd :p

Soldato
What's with the weird phenomenon of new BMW cars looking disgusting when you first see them and then gradually looking quite good? Had it with the new BMW M3/M4 and now the same has happened with the new M240i. I thought I looked a mess when I first saw pictures, but now I've seen it quite a few times it looks good to me! Odd :p

I still can’t stand the new M3/4 series.

But I have always liked the look of the new 2 series. Or, at least, I find it acceptable. Back is a bit weird though.

Soldato
Maybe that’s just you… :p

The M3/M4 still looks hideous if you compare to the previous gen, or just look at a G20/G30. The new M240i still looks like a dog’s dinner compared to the previous car.

maybe it’s a reverse beer-goggles thing. The Bangle era cars now don’t look so bad a decade later, but it’s all relative when you have to look at things like the new M3/4.

My M5 still looks as good as before, if not even better the way designs are going :D

Caporegime
The current X5 grew on me and I now like the look of it. I must do, I bought one :)

£2k miles in after 3 weeks. Loving it. Finally think I know how everything works on it now.

Caporegime
Sounds like you are too old :D

Pfft BMW dont make it easy. So many menus and sub menus and so many gadgets. I mean there are about 7 different drive modes and although the manual explains what each one does, what that means in reality and which will give the best fuel economy has been trial and error.

And yes I am old but I am the targeted buyer of this type of car.

Soldato
Pfft BMW dont make it easy. So many menus and sub menus and so many gadgets. I mean there are about 7 different drive modes and although the manual explains what each one does, what that means in reality and which will give the best fuel economy has been trial and error.

And yes I am old but I am the targeted buyer of this type of car.
Once you've been in there in the firrst month and worked out everything how you like it, you'll never be in there again :p

Caporegime
Once you've been in there in the firrst month and worked out everything how you like it, you'll never be in there again :p

You are right. It now only lives between adaptive drive and sports drive. Dont use any of the rest. :)

Still cant get wifi to work so will have to take it back to the dealer. Disappointingly I have had two BMW genius video calls booked and neither have happened.

Back
Top Bottom