BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Just lost a few brain cells reading this argument.

Nobody actually buys a car just because of the infotainment, but of course it can be a factor between two otherwise similar cars.
Agreed, I'd say I'd not buy a car because of infotainment. I really hated that in my Jaguar you had to use a physical button and then the touchscreen to sort heated seats out - a Tesla takes this idiocy to the extreme and Audi have begun to follow suit.

And tbh I am a bit disappointed I couldn't get a Leaf and had to get an e2008 as I was looking forward to the Bose sound system and I know how garbage the French stuff is going to be.

Soldato
If they spend more time passing about with the infotainment than the steering wheel or accelerator pedal they shouldn't be driving
they have lane-following/auto-cruise as a get out of jail card when distracted by the infotainment, and you have retina tracking.
If I had a big tablet display in the car for streaming service access it must be difficult not to whimsically browse tracks, as I've been doing this evening on some Vangelis ones.
( Has mazda relented on their principals that touch screens are a distraction and buttons are needed, the NHTSA and japanese still think they are a liability, but there is not enough safety data. YET)

but touch screens and big ugly panels are a step backwards
Does look like the bmw panels are not yet oled so there will be some nightime glow and inferior viewing angles.

Caporegime
Anyone that buys a car purely based on the infotainment is an idiot.
For many people the aesthetics and the tactile feel of the interior are important, especially as many owners won’t even run the engine to even over 5,000 rpm, never mind using WoT or getting to the redline. It’s the feeling inside that matters to many.

Associate
So, yesterday I had some ******* idiot decide to pull out of a junction straight into the rear drivers side of my 130i. The OSR wheel took the brunt of it, which has caused suspension damage, and the rear door and arch are also dented. The driver admitted full liability and his insurance company are now dealing with it. Going off my description and pictures of the damage they believe it's repairable, but I'm not so sure. Unfortunately there are only a handful of 5 door manual LCI 130is for sale in the whole of the UK, so if I do need to replace it it's going to be a nightmare :(

Oh, and I'm booked and paid up for a trip to the Nurburgring with it from the 9th-13th of June :mad::(:mad:

PXL-20220519-135950623.jpg

PXL-20220519-155916508.jpg

PXL-20220519-140142986.jpg

Associate
It wouldn’t surprise me if they write it off, given the age and value of the car…

Yeah, that was my initial thinking. I would cost me ~£5k to replace it like for like, but the ones currently for sale are either ropey for sub £4k, or lower mileage, overpriced ones around £7k.

It's getting collected and being assessed on Monday, so I will know more by the middle of next week

Caporegime
Yeah, that was my initial thinking. I would cost me ~£5k to replace it like for like, but the ones currently for sale are either ropey for sub £4k, or lower mileage, overpriced ones around £7k.

It's getting collected and being assessed on Monday, so I will know more by the middle of next week

Suspect if its only worth £5k, i can see that repair easily adding up to more than enough for them to write it off sadly.

Man of Honour
I'm surprised they haven't just written it off from the pictures to be honest, if it's worth £5k.

At insurance prices, you've got:

- 1k+ for any suspension parts

- £1.5k~ for the door

- £300 for the wheel

- No idea how they would sort the crease on the inside door sill area, but it won't be easy or cheap

So I would be planning for it to be written off, unfortunately.

+ all the associated courtesy car costs etc..

This too, good point.

Caporegime
Not keen on the red bits really.
But it has a threaded rear light thingy and yellow headlights ! Lol

Would have expected a bigger weight saving with it being a two seater too. But hey it’s fast around the N ring right.

Personally I think the M4 is looking a bit bloated now vs the M3

Soldato
I was reminicising of when I had a blast in my boss's E46 CSL yesterday. It was subtle, and clearly a technological step change.

This is just following the Mercedes strategy of loud gaudy appearance. Not a man.

Caporegime
I was reminicising of when I had a blast in my boss's E46 CSL yesterday. It was subtle, and clearly a technological step change.

This is just following the Mercedes strategy of loud gaudy appearance. Not a man.
Yeah they did a good job on that one!

What do you identify as then:p

OcUK Staff
M4 CSL, discuss...

Not sure about the styling and wow it looks bloated.

Major let down, modern cars are essentially what people used to call yank tanks and this is BMW’s attempt at a lightweight.

It looks not good either probably won’t sound good either, just a massive thumbs down.

Am sure they will all sell and be fetching overs though.

Soldato
Car weights have been creeping up, since forever.
Yes the M4 CSL is heavy compared to the E49 CSL (~1400kg), but that was heavy compared to the original 1972 CSL (~1200kg's).

It'll probably be amazing to drive and be 4x the value in 15 years.

Caporegime
They managed to get the E46 from 1500 to 1345 i think, impressive reductions and kept the rear seats. But look at a E46 CSL, timeless elegance is part of the appeal. As another turbo M car and prob no the last I don't know where this will sit in a few years, but it's a £130k car.

Back
Top Bottom