BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
Car weights have been creeping up, since forever.
Yes the M4 CSL is heavy compared to the E49 CSL (~1400kg), but that was heavy compared to the original 1972 CSL (~1200kg's).

It'll probably be amazing to drive and be 4x the value in 15 years.
Yeah but that's all it is - people will buy them and store them as collectibles. Especially at £130k!.

I don't think that was really the case with the OG CSL... I mean even now if you want a moderately used one, they aren't bonkers money.

Man of Honour
Car weights have been creeping up, since forever.

They have, but the E46 M3 CSL was all about removal of weight - to the point that you could option it without even a radio and it had various things from the standard car removed.

By contrast, I note that the highlights from the CSL press pack include such things as:

Among its functions are the navigation system BMW Maps, the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant, smartphone integration, telephony with wireless charging and a Wi-Fi interface.

The LED rear lights of the new BMW M4 CSL are equipped as standard with technology making its debut in a series-produced car. Their glass covers have intricate light threads woven into them which are illuminated using laser technology, bringing a vibrant structure to the surface of the lights. This creates a highly distinctive light signature that is recognisable from a long distance during the hours of darkness.

This sounds like the sort of thing I like in a car and generally what I like in a car tends to be basically the complete opposite of what people who want a 'Sport Lightweight' car want in a car. So, I think what nicely demonstrates what it is that people don't like about this new car is the fact I'd happily drive this car whereas the M3 CSL has never interested me :D

Soldato
They have, but the E46 M3 CSL was all about removal of weight - to the point that you could option it without even a radio and it had various things from the standard car removed.

By contrast, I note that the highlights from the CSL press pack include such things as:

Among its functions are the navigation system BMW Maps, the BMW Intelligent Personal Assistant, smartphone integration, telephony with wireless charging and a Wi-Fi interface.
This sounds like the sort of thing I like in a car and generally what I like in a car tends to be basically the complete opposite of what people who want a 'Sport Lightweight' car want in a car. So, I think what nicely demonstrates what it is that people don't like about this new car is the fact I'd happily drive this car whereas the M3 CSL has never interested me :D
Also in the BMW press release they said this CSL was more road focussed than track, hence the road bias spec.

The wireless charging is an option, along with all the other personal/driving assistant stuff and the rest of what you posted is software, which I don't think adds to the weight :p
They also said they have removed the dual zone climate kit and returned it to single zone, and those lights save weight over the previous ones.

Soldato
Yeah but that's all it is - people will buy them and store them as collectibles. Especially at £130k!.

I don't think that was really the case with the OG CSL... I mean even now if you want a moderately used one, they aren't bonkers money.
Back in the 70's the car market was a lot different - if you had the money for a special car you could order one.
Now you need to be related to the CEO, be a 50% shareholder, have 15 year buying history of a fleet of other cars from the brand, to even get a sniff at any BMW or Porsche limited special. So the people that do get them probably aren't daily driving them.

OcUK Staff

Maybe you have not looked recently at CSL prices, I think high milers are now 80k, average milers over 100k and low mile examples closing towards 150k.

Soldato
Mercedes list the AMG GTR kerb weight at 1,650Kg, this includes fuel tank 90% full, driver 68 kg, and luggage 7 kg.
BMW puts the M4 CSL kerb weight at 1625kg with the same additions included.

Also, that’s one small/skinny driver - LH weighs more than that!

Soldato
Test drove a 340i (2018) earlier, back to back with an S5 (2018)

Similar price (27k), both different cars.

340i arguably the better driving car. Better steering feel, has adaptive suspension, adaptive LED, sunroof, HK. Well kitted out for me.

But the S5 felt like a better all round car. More aggressive also in gears, ferocity of the engine, but also smoother in comfort. Also well kitted out with B&O, matrix LED, virtual dash (loved it). But, the steering felt numb.

I preferred driving the 340i, but it feels dated. I got into it from my 320d and it’s identical. Same iDrive (I upgraded mine), same steering wheel, everything. It even had the exact same rattles as my car in the doors - mad for 18k miles.

I don’t know if it feels like a 4 year car. It doesn’t feel as special as the S5, but it is nicer to drive and has features I prefer (mainly adaptive suspension and sunroof). I can add an MPSSK to give it more power too.

Decisions…

Last edited:
Associate
Hi all,

I have just put down a reserve on a 66 plate 430d 3.0 M Sport and i have a few questions if anyone would be happy to help.

Ive been told that extended warranties on BMW are pretty much necessary, ive been shopping about and found one on "protect 4 sure" for 3 years @ £570, has anyone used this place and if so what are your experiences ?

Also one major thing for me is that being a 66 plate the car doesnt support Android Auto, anyone with a BMW of this age or older for that matter been able to get andriod auto working?

Cheers all!

Last edited:
Soldato
Hi all,

I have just put down a reserve on a 66 plate 340d 3.0 M Sport and i have a few questions if anyone would be happy to help.

Ive been told that extended warranties on BMW are pretty much necessary, ive been shopping about and found one on "protect 4 sure" for 3 years @ £570, has anyone used this place and if so what are your experiences ?

Also one major thing for me is that being a 66 plate the car doesnt support Android Auto, anyone with a BMW of this age or older for that matter been able to get andriod auto working?

Cheers all!
General consensus is not to bother with 3rd party warranties as they so rarely pay out. Stick to BMW warranty if they'll allow you, or YOLO it.

Man of Honour
The BMW warranty is pretty cheap on a 3 series too.

Though you should probably check what it is you've bought as there are no 66 plate 340d...

Associate
General consensus is not to bother with 3rd party warranties as they so rarely pay out. Stick to BMW warranty if they'll allow you, or YOLO it.
Just looked at the BMW offical warranty and they want £ 613 a year !

The place where im potentially buying from offer a 3year deal for £870 which can be used at BMW repair shops and there own. I might have to get that, seems fairly cheap in comparison.

Back
Top Bottom