BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
think bigger - of their application across all their 4 cyclinder turbo cars , if you can remove lag and make more power earlier in rpm, you are getting characteristics more like a bigger capacity i6 ;
Electric supercharging is not new and not exclusive to Merc

Man of Honour
BMW UK have agreed to replace the exhaust with a brand new (revised version 2) one, which has been ordered from Germany. They won't however cover the labour to fit which I think is fair enough so for £200 or so I have a brand new M Performance Exhaust plus 2 year warranty. :D

Last edited:
Soldato
BMW UK have agreed to replace the exhaust with a brand new (revised version 2) one, which has been ordered from Germany. They won't however cover the labour to fit which I think is fair enough so for £200 or so I have a brand new M Performance Exhaust plus 2 year warranty. :D
I'd say that's a pretty good (and mostly fair) result. It's what, £2.5-3k normally?

Man of Honour
Why does everyone think it's a good result? The amount they cost is irrelevant, you already had one and it's now broken. Why are you happy to be paying for a replacement on a car you've had a matter of months?

Soldato
Yeah BMW have played a blinder there. By anchoring your expectations that they weren't going to cover it at all, now you see £200 as a good result. Whereas the truth is they are extracting £200 from you they should never have as it broke in the warranty period and was sold with the car as approved used.

Soldato
But the bmw approved used warranty says
so £200 seems a good result

– This Warranty will not cover:
b) Repair or replacement required due to a gradual reduction in the operating performance of a covered part, commensurate with its age or mileage. (Please refer to Wear and Tear Exclusions)

• The following are not covered by the BMW Approved Used Car Warranty: brake and clutch facings, discs and drums, bulbs (except Xenon), fuses, channels and guides, weather strips and seals, handles, hinges and check straps, trim upholstery and cosmetic finishes, wheels and tyres, wiper blades and arms, glass, auxiliary drive belts, coolant and fuel hoses, the cleaning and adjustment of any component and all service items or items that will require periodic replacement. Corrosion is also not covered by the warranty.

Soldato
Yeah going to check with my local garage.

I've only done just over 17k miles.

Edit
200 for BMW pads, 150 for after market at my local place.

Before replacing them have a good look at them I find BMW/Mini dealers like to advise very early on brake pad wear. I’d wait for the brake wear sensor to trigger a warning on the dash/iDrive. They told me 3 years/20-25k ago I needed new front brakes and I still haven’t changed them they will need done soon but still not triggered the low pad warning.

If you do need brake pads look on eBay for BMW dealers selling brake parts you can normally get them close to or cheaper than after market. I think the 128 has the same 4 pot brake callipers that are on a Mini I just got a set from Hamilton BMW for £112. If it’s triggered the brake pad warning you’ll need a new sensor aswell.

Soldato
Thanks I will do that then. It does seem a little odd they need replacing after only 17k miles regardless of my driving habits.

Edit
Just checked the video they send and they reckon 3mm.

Soldato
Yeah going to check with my local garage.

I've only done just over 17k miles.

Edit
200 for BMW pads, 150 for after market at my local place.
This sounds very expensive...I've just done the front discs and pads on my F80 M3 and the pads were cheaper than that (total parts cost inc. delivery was <£600). FWIW my brakes did 88k miles before they needed doing, and I changed them when the wear indicators came on (BMW noted I should consider changing the pads for the last two services!).

Soldato
The pads on my 320d are 50k miles old. Upon checking the service book, they were done at 26k miles during the 2nd service, which was carried out by BMW.

My garage reckoned that I still have 15k miles left at least when I had the car serviced this year.

Back
Top Bottom