BMW and M Power Owners

Soldato
do you expect a manufacturer to be perpetually responsible through multiple owners for parts that don't last as long as might have been expected;
once the failure mode is well known that failure has been priced in by purchasers, like, if I buy an e90 I know the coil pack may fail.
I guess there is some leeway of responsibility for halo cars/m3, the manufacturer feels more charitable, offset by other business they know they will gain over cars lifetime.

Man of Honour
do you expect a manufacturer to be perpetually responsible through multiple owners for parts that don't last as long as might have been expected

This isn't the situation though. He didn't buy it 3 years ago from it's 6th owner on ebay, he bought it a matter of months ago as an approved used car.

Man of Honour
I would categorically expect BMW AUC to cover the entire cost of replacing the exhaust. It was built, supplied and fitted by BMW themselves.

It's a 2018 low mileage M3 (I believe), it's not wear and tear, it's a premature failure due to a design issue/manufacturing fault.

Man of Honour
I bought the car 10 months ago. I genuinely couldn't care less, I cannot be bothered to argue with them or go down some lengthy chain of emails and phone calls for the sake of £200, I have more important things to worry about or put effort into. It's booked in tomorrow.

Soldato
I bought the car 10 months ago. I genuinely couldn't care less, I cannot be bothered to argue with them or go down some lengthy chain of emails and phone calls for the sake of £200, I have more important things to worry about or put effort into. It's booked in tomorrow.
For sure, but this is motors - where everyone has absolute resolve on everything.

cAnT BeLiEvE yOu dIdNt HaNd tHe KeYs BaCk

Man of Honour

Understandable, and I'm not saying I wouldn't do the same, but it's disappointing from BMW.

Soldato
Just sold my F31 320d for £1k less than it was bought for back in 2019, with 25k more miles, damage to rear quarter and curbed alloys. And that was for a quick sale :D

Means I’ve got some money to sort out the paint and audio on the S5 :)

Associate
After my E87 130i got written off due to some ****** pulling out of a junction into the OSR quarter, I have managed to replace it with a decently spec'd F20 M135i

received-800237188051570.jpg

received-1246785346149292.jpg

Loving it so far, but 1 thing I need to sort out is an update for the pro nav. It doesn't appear that the maps have ever been updated, as it's still running a 2013 version. What's the easiest/best/cheapest way to do this? I've seen eBay ads for the latest 2022-2 version map update, supplied on a USB stick and including a FSC code for around £35. Are their any potential issues with going down this route? Am I best off just bending over and calling in at my local BMW dealer and getting them to do it?

Soldato
Performed a couple of USB map updates on my E92 without issue, did take around 45 minutes from start to finish though so tended to do it on a longer drive.

I'm not sure which iDrive versions F20's came with or how sensitive you are to maintaining/potential warranty issues but a CarPlay flash and WiFi antenna would future proof you for around £175.

Soldato
Performed a couple of USB map updates on my E92 without issue, did take around 45 minutes from start to finish though so tended to do it on a longer drive.

I'm not sure which iDrive versions F20's came with or how sensitive you are to maintaining/potential warranty issues but a CarPlay flash and WiFi antenna would future proof you for around £175.
M135i will be NBT so MMI box or full ID6 retrofit required to get CarPlay, you can’t flash CarPlay onto those because the hardware is too old

Associate
Perfect, thanks guys. Looks like I'll get usb update and code ordered off eBay, unless anyone has a preferred seller/website they can recommend?

M135i will be NBT so MMI box or full ID6 retrofit required to get CarPlay, you can’t flash CarPlay onto those because the hardware is too old

Yep, it's NBT. I've looked into the MMI boxes in order to add Android Auto, but for now I just want to get all the standard equipment up to date.

Back
Top Bottom