BMW demand full payment of modified M4 on finance

Soldato
Good!! Got enough money to spend on mods and ripped jeans but not clever enough to read the small print.

Finance Fail

I'd love to think our very own modified Superb owner takes note of..

When cars are modified, however, their value diminishes, potentially leaving the brand with a car that’s worth less than it would be if it were unmodified.

:p

OcUK Staff
To be honest and though I enjoy his videos he has several videos that do clearly show him speeding and racing on public roads so I think if this is the only harsh reality he gets from his videos he has done well as I’m surprised the police have not being knocking at his door.

Can see BMW’s point of view as increasing the output so much will no doubt have a negative impact on engines lifespan and of course de-value the car.

Soldato
Ha! What a ****. I hope BMW stick to their word. If he wanted to mod it he should have purchased the car outright, if he can't afford it, then he should have gone for a model that he can afford.

And of course invalidate his warranty on the associated parts the modified components are fitted to. If and when he hands the car back, does that mean the car wont be passed on with a BMW warranty as it will have its warranty invalidated, or could BMW give it the once over and sell it with an fresh extended warranty?

P.S. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32761018/

Interesting point, i wonder if it's possible to undo the mods to bring it back to stock build and then go from there. Although surely with increasing the performance of the engine has the potential for shortening it's life / causing further issues later down the line. So might be tricky for them to provide a warranty, not sure i'd want to purchase a car in this situation.

Soldato
Ha! What a ****. I hope BMW stick to their word. If he wanted to mod it he should have purchased the car outright, if he can't afford it, then he should have gone for a model that he can afford.

Interesting point, i wonder if it's possible to undo the mods to bring it back to stock build and then go from there. Although surely with increasing the performance of the engine has the potential for shortening it's life / causing further issues later down the line. So might be tricky for them to provide a warranty, not sure i'd want to purchase a car in this situation.

I very much doubt that BWM will offer any warranty on this car nor offer to accept it as a trade in against another BWM even if it was returned to stock due to the additional wear/strain put on the power train and chassis.

Soldato
.. so it was a PCP, and servicing directly with BMW ? (maybe there's little alternative),
are they tightening down and using the publicity to teach a lesson to others ?,
despite publicity to the contrary, on tuning boxes, I cant believe they cannot identify simpler/electronic mods, through multiple car systems like the traction control/dsc mechanisms.

Soldato
I asked him whether he had informed them when purchasing that he planned to modify it and if they said it was ok or not.

No response.

I think more manufacturers will follow suit. If you're on social media with that large a following you're bound to get investigated with the sort of videos you upload.

Soldato
to be fair it was silly of him to mod it that much, most manufacturers will be okay with approved stuff but swapping turbos, meth injection etc is going to kill the cars value in the used marked. It'll never get approved used status either and bmw cant' put a value on it.

he should've either bought an older m4 with a loan that's not attached to the car or got something he can actually afford out-right. Plenty of other silly-tubers are modifying 10k cars and have as many views/subs.

Associate
it's happened with SEAT before too:
https://forums.seatcupra.net/index....rong-now-inc-video.193416/page-3#post-2133732

I don't understand the surprise - you don’t own the car under a PCP scheme until the final balloon payment, so it’s not yours to do as you wish… I’m pretty sure I’ve seen it clearly saying that modifications aren’t allowed without prior authorisation in the BMW finance agreement too, so he’s not go leg to stand on.

We all know mods affect the resalability of a car and dealers don’t want that hassle. Not to mention the confusion with warranties… I’ve wondered in the past about how they deal with tuning boxes etc… A remap is easy to spot, as it flags a tamper code on the ECU, but tuning boxes still have the car running out of spec and thus still be noticed after removal. As they become more popular then manufacturers will only start scanning for these logs, as they effectively permanently nuke the car’s warranty and any future buyer could have issues claiming under an engine warranty if it’s discovered that a past owner had previously remapped it…

Same goes for DPF/cat removal etc… I still see a lot of people advertising they’ve removed the dpf on their nearly new diesel car – as this is now an instant MOT failure, when they come to return the car and the next owner has fun getting it through an MOT, then what happens?!?

Associate
I have heard this happen with another youtubers car, an S3.

He fitted a bigger turbo taking it to 500bhp and VAG finance took the car back, not sure what happened to the mods on it - whether the customer gets chance to remove them first or the recovery of the car is done 'as is'.

Associate
I do watch this channel, and others that do similar things and i do wonder how some of them get away with such crazy modification of cars that they don't actually own.

Back
Top Bottom